Van build diagram

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
I wasted tons of graph paper over the past weeks trying to draft a plan for my van that I think will satisfy my requirements. Please see the thumbnail.

VAN PLAN 23-22-20.jpg

What was really making me frustrated, was that I had to fit in enough bed space for 3 adults but wanted a larger kitchen space while still being able to move around. Finally, after seeing countless numbers of van builds, almost all of which had smaller kitchen units than what I had wanted, I decided I wouldn't be able to sacrifice bed space for an additional foot of kitchen space. 

This plan has a bed wide enough for a couple that cuddles close, in case my son and dil are with me, and a bed that is about the width of a camping cot which I'll use if they are with me (otherwise, I'll use the bigger bed). The larger bed is a dinette bed, and the smaller bed is a chair that turns into a bed (something I'll buy because they are easily available for less than what it would cost to make one, and are lighter weight than what a diy one would be). The beds are on opposite ends, which gives more privacy in a tiny space. Something I really like is that the chair bed will have a drop-down desktop attached to the wall, so if the dinette bed table is not available, someone still awake can use the chair bed with desktop as a work station or place to eat or whatever. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Also[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif], the chair bed when in chair mode, will be between the wall that separates the cab, and the wall of the bathroom, so it will be a cozy cubby hole.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I had to have at least a tiny space for privacy while going potty, dressing, washing up. It was hard coming up with a plan that would have room for a bathroom, but I finally got one in that is at least large enough for someone who is only a little overweight, to turn around in and dress (it's 24x27 - I've worked in some even  tighter spots, so I know that amount of space will work).[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I also had to have a place for hangers because I can't stand wrinkled clothes. It's only a foot long, but that's wide enough to hang up several tops. Its right next to the bathroom - I debated making it all one thing, but I dont want my clothes getting wet, so now I'm thinking of another way to improve the convenience of accessing clothing to dress without having to take them out of the closet before going in the bathroom.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I wanted the kitchen stove by a window that opens, and in this draft, I was able to get it that way (the cargo area has windows that push out via clips on the side doors, and windows that don't open on the rear doors, and there are no windows on the side of the cargo area that doesn't have doors). I'll make some slide-out surfaces for extra space while cooking. It might seem odd to have two sinks, but I wanted them in both the bathroom and the kitchen, and this separation of water by purpose, makes it easier to store water due to not needing a single huge space.  Due to the right space, the sink in the bathroom would be a collapsible bowl type that folds down from against the wall.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm feeling relieved now. I'd like to hear some feedback and suggestions if anyone has any to give. If anyone sees a potential problem with the layout, please tell me.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks in advance for your attention and feedback.[/font]

Attachments

• VAN PLAN 23-22-20.jpg
    VAN PLAN 23-22-20.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 90
I have a typo in there I can't edit away - "right space" was supposed to the "tight space".

It is challenging trying to lay out a floor plan indeed.
Looks like you have a well thought out "right space" there :)
Only things I can think of are, waster water storage, black and/or grey tanks, and ceiling fan.
Are you going to build this yourself or have it built?

looks like a lot of stuff to cram into a 1/2 ton van. have you done any weight estimates? have you checked your weight before you start so you know what you have to work with? you need to weigh it with a full tank of gas and the three of you in there with the spare tire. then compare that to your GVWR(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) that will give you a number to start with. highdesertranger

Dont forget to add a legaly co,pliant seat belt for the third passenger.

Since there are sometimes needs and space is at a premium I would consider seriously a high quality tent (Kodiak) to set beside the side door to be used for an additional sleeping area. You simply don’t have the room or weight capacity for 3 adults in my opinion. Set the van up for a single person but with enough open floor space for others to sleep on in bad weather. You will be at the limit or beyond weight wise if you use very much wood in your build so lighten up your build with alternative materials as much as possible. Another alternative is to build a very light weight foamie 4’X6’ teardrop trailer for occasional use as a sleeping area for additional members in your party. In my opinion it is better to use a half ton van as a steel tent for one person. If more than one person I would use it to pull a very light under 13’ trailer. Anything larger that you expect to live in full time with more than one person will require a 3/4 or one ton van.

I notice you mention the care of your clothing and not liking wrinkled stuff.

I haven't seen it mentioned here before but the Military uses a system of "roll folding"
garments.  I don't know if it would appeal to you but he purpose is to conserve space.

I dated a girl who had just left the Army and had been an MP.  She showed me this system
after I noticed how she did stuff at her apartment.  She hadn't gotten away from her
military training yet. 

If anyone is interested in this system, here is a You tube tutorial

How to fold clothes in the Navy

Thanks for the responses.

I have something like 7 tents, some small, a couple that are big enough to put the small ones inside of them. One is a brand new huge SUV tent I've never had a chance to use. It's 6 feet high at the center. It's made with a tunnel to attatch to the back of the SUV hatch (or micro SUV, as the Kia Soul is). Tents can't be used in neighborhoods and parking lots.

I'm building it myself. I'm definitely trying to come up with some ways to keep the weight down. Distribution of weight is extremely important, so I need to base what I'm doing and whataterials I use on that too, not just overall weight. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd use aluminum instead of wood for some things. I've been researching options for wall materials - not really seeing options that don't involve wood panels. The floor will probably have to be 3/4" wood. The dinette seats can just be frames with slats for the bed base instead of solid wood; the bases just need something light around them to hide whatever is stored. I've done a bit of diy building, mostly aquarium stands that have to be very sturdy and steady to hold a couple thousand pounds over a large enough base area to not fall through the living room floor.

I plan to install a seatbelt that can be used on one of the dinette seats. Those dinette seats will be bolted down securely, and there won't be any children.

I'll be putting in a ventilation fan unit. I'm kind of worried about being up on the roof, was going to research about doing it high up on the side where there is no window, and possibly a second one in a different spot (are two smaller ones better than one large one?) The stove will be by a window, , I'll just have to make it so I can have the window open when it's raining.

I doubt I'll ever carry more than 4 gallons of water at a time, since I'm not going off grid and water is easy to obtain. I think I'm probably going to skip putting holes for water in the van, just carry containers in and out.

Keep in mind that the van isn't for regular driving, it will mostly be in one place, which makes weight not quite as much of a problem. I usually do camping trips by myself, and not more than a few hours away. When I go on trips with the two family members, we tend to go in separate vehicles, which has the added benefit of less moving weight. If I we all 3 end up needing a place to live due to financial stuff, the van will mostly just be getting moved between parking places. Also, it wouldn't be full of my belongings because those would be in a storage unit.

You can use 1/2” plywood instead of 3/4” which will be plenty solid and save you around 30# in weight depending on the plywood and square footage and also save some $.
That’s also ~3 1/2 gallons worth of water that you can carry and use instead of standing on.
A seatbelt bolted to a wood framed side facing seat won’t pass muster in an accident, but might be helpful on a safe but safe but bumpy dirt road.
A fold down sink like this might work in the bathroom https://looloodesign.com/product/famous-fold-up-sink/

Attachments

• 9A425EED-EB8C-40CF-924F-55D80CD61E23.jpeg
    9A425EED-EB8C-40CF-924F-55D80CD61E23.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 6
Just a thought about diagrams. I used the graph paper also but I designed my cabinets and cooking area potty box, and sleeping area which for me is a recliner cut them out of the graph paper to scale and then drew the dimensions of the van on another paper. and moved pieces around to see where they best fit. And most efficient use of space. This way I found some unconventional layouts I wouldn’t of thought about before.

I also like drop down things you have a drop-down desk you can go over your sink if you have the room and drop down a work area doesn’t take much to do it so when you’re not using your sink you have a work table and we are using your sake you put it back up. I’m sure others I thought of these kind of things.

That's a nice sink. I wasn't going to be so sophisticated with it, seeing as it won't be in plain sight of anyone who looks into the van.

I know the point about the sideways seats. I tried really hard to do a design that would put them the other way, just for that exact reason, but I just couldn't make it work. It's very infrequent that all three of us are in a moving vehicle at the same time, maybe once every couple of months to go to the grocery store two miles away. I hate driving while other people are talking to each other, and they get mad if I miss a turn due to being distracted by their talking, or if I tell them to be quiet, so we generally stay out of that situation. I usually don't even use the radio while I'm driving. Sometimes the cost of gas for two vehicles is worth paying.

nature lover said:
Just a thought about diagrams. I used the graph paper also but I designed my cabinets and cooking area potty box, and sleeping area which for me is a recliner cut them out of the graph paper to scale and then drew the dimensions of the van on another paper. and moved pieces around to see where they best fit.  And most efficient use of space. This way I found some unconventional layouts I wouldn’t of thought about before.

I also like drop down things you have a drop-down desk you can go over your sink if you have the room and drop down a work area doesn’t take much to do it so when you’re not using your sink you have a work table and we are using your sake you put it back up. I’m sure others I thought of these kind of things.

I wish I had thought to do my planning that way - it would have saved a lot of paper!

I followed Naturelover's technique, to see if it would help me come up with a different plan. Everything I tried just didn't work, mostly because I'm worried about distribution of weight. I don't want to tip to one side on a curvy mountain road, going over the edge of the road down the mountainside. I worry about that enough in a regular car. 

I'm guessing the reduction to just 1/2" on the floor will be okay because it will just be over an even bottom.  I put a 3/4 in the Kia soul because it needed to bear weight in between the body's crossbars and over the cargo well.

By making those little pieces to move around your graph paper you could see the necessity for changing the dimensions of one of your features So that the end design works. Flexibility with nothing written in stone makes sense when planing a build. I heard of a guy who built his bed, kitchen, storage cabinets etc. then went out to look for a van. “Bass ackwards” You can’t always get exactly what you want but if you’re open to change some of the features dimensions you can get what you need. As far as tipping over I would think that most of the features would be light enough to not affect that except for water tanks. Of Course then you have to take in consideration your gas tank location. I don’t think the normal features like a bed, a few cabinets, a potty, a kitchen with jerry cans for fresh and waste water, are going to cause a “tip over”. You must be planning some travel on roads that require 4 x 4 and high ground clearance. I like to get out into the mountains myself but I’ve never found a road like you’re describing, If I found one like that I would certainly avoid it. At 270 pounds where I put my butt might make a big difference though.

My only add is that your build does not have to be all 2x4's and 3/4" OSB.  You would be surprised how strong 1x1" ,   1x1.5" & 1.5x1.5" cleats ripped from WP and glued to 3/8" and 1/4"  cabinet grade plywood can be. Maybe some 1/2" plywood here and there,  and for me, never any OSB, its to heavy. I actually hand pick my studs looking for light ones, some studs can  be 50% heavier than an adjacent one.

bagabum has some good suggestions about not using 2x4 and osb as it really is unnecessary. I think many use 2x4's for no specific reason other than that's what houses are made of. 2x4's do give a bit more room to screw into for assembly, but smaller dimension lumber is much better. When screwing together, pre-drill your holes as it can/will split if you don't. When you use smaller dimension lumber you also gain more space and make access into cabinets easier. Lumberyards also sell smaller dimension hardwood lumber such as poplar which is a great choice for cabinets as it is lighter weight, takes fasteners well (still pre-drill) and takes paint and stain finish nicely.
Where are you located treesprite? There may be someone near you that could also help directly.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm so used to building to hold really heavy stuff,, and like most stand builders, I always "over build - it's hard to not think in those terms.

I was thinking about trying to reduce use of wood by building things like the ends of bed bases and the kitchen counter right onto the van walls. I noticed some builds that were done that way.

This is going to sound really stupid. I'm feeling a bit uncertain about how anything can stay secured to a material that is as thin as the vehicle metal, without having the screws go all the to the outside to have nuts put on them.

I finally had a few minutes before it was completely dark outside, to try to measure inside of the van (haven't even had a chance to drive it since I got it). I measured from the back of the driver seat and got only like 115" instead of 121". I had to measure the length in two parts because I couldn't find my big tape measure, had to use one that only goes to 6 feet, so that might have cost me an inch or two. I wasn't really being all that careful, but 6 inches is a big difference to just attribute to slightly careless measuring. The width is as expected.

I'm going to make one of the dinette bed seats like a chair facing forward. Instead of an insert between sides, I might make each of the sections pull out. So there will be a wider pull out going horizontal, and a narrower one going vertically. I'm not sure how comfortable that will be with the seam, and it will make that bed area heavier, but I'll have a forward-facing seat I can put a seatbelt on for a passenger.

How did you draw your plan without knowing the interior dimensions of the vehicle? Also take note that the floor is X inches wide but every 6 inches rise the Dimensions Change. Keeping that in mind you’ll have extra space in your cabinets rather than straight up. And you will soon find out you need every inch especially with 3 people. I know of several people who took the first step of making the wall straight from floor to ceiling. Big mistake. That’s why the newer generation of vans are popular with dwellers