Van build diagram

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew the dimensions from researching basically all the commonly available used cargo vans that I could afford to buy, compared all of them based on interior dimensions, curves, heights, reliability, recalls, engine types, etc. Looked at tons of pictures and videos of diy camper van builds to see what I'd be getting myself into.  I never do anything without researching ahead of time, and I try to plan for last minute changes if I come upon a problematic detail (like the shorter length I get if I measure from where I have the back of the driver seat tilted back instead of from the base of the driver seat).

I had a little bit of an epiphany.

I played with the questionable notion of blocking the entire side double door, instead of just the side that can't be opened unless the main one is opened first (don't have a sliding door).

The design allowed me to put the kitchen unit and bathroom unit both on the door side, so plumbing won't have to be on both sides of the van, and also allowed the other side to be take up lengthwise by a cot-width sort of sofa, so if I don't feel like setting up the dinette bed thing to have something wider, I can just flop with no effort.

The kitchen has to be on the side where the door is, because those are the only cargo space windows (one on each of the double doors) that can be opened for ventilation (they have clamps and sort of push out at an angle). With the bathroom on that side, next to the kitchen, I would also have the second of those windows to provide ventilation for it too (kind of want the potty area to be fully enclosed, thinking I'd have to put an extra vent on the roof just for the BR - this design means I'll only have to put in one).

The epiphany came when I realized that I could go in and out of the side door by way of the bathroom, because it's not a counter, cabinet, or furniture. This would be especially helpful when it's raining or I'm filthy, not wanting to track rain and dirt through the van.

To summarize, putting these units in front of both of the double doors, does a few good things. 1. Bathroom and kitchen on same side = keeping water stuff in one place/share gray water container; 2. Bathroom has its own ventilation without me adding an extra hole on the roof; 3. Bathroom serves as a mudroom to prevent tracking of rain and dirt through the van; 4. Kitchen will still be by a window for ventilation; 5. Kitchen will still be accessible from outside; 6. Easy access to fill/empty water containers that serve both the bathroom and the kitchen; 7. can re-think my toilet option since access will be easier; 8. giving consideration to the drainage of water from the bathroom - I wasnt liking the idea of putting a hole in the floor for a drain to use much water in the bathroom, but with bathroom having door to outside, if I'm in a situation where I can let water go onto pavement, with no people watching, I can just let water go out the door... there is that step thing at the doorway, conveniently providing a downward path.

Aside from all of that, I'm wondering if I should put a sort of sliding door wall in front of the rear doors, for the purpose of temperature control.

Any thoughts on all of this?

This is hilarious. 
About 3 weeks have passed since I last looked at the design I posted when I started the thread. During that time, I've done what feels like at least a dozen other designs (the components aren't always the same dimensions, so it was a lot of paper again).  A few times I came up with layouts and thought "ok, this is the one", but then changed again. Today I came up with a layout and thought, "oh, this really is the one". I was so sure, that I tore up all the other previous layouts, until I got to the one at the beginning of this thread. 

I like the original better. It just needs some details changed due to realizations I had when doing the other designs. I have to accept the fact that I'll never be able to meet all of my preferences until I have a higher roof. I'm okay with the standard length - its easier to drive and maneuver, and I can resolve some issues just by having the extra height.

One of the minor changes is to have a dedicated spot for a heater. The last design I did, specifically allowed me to fit such a space in - I hadn't made a point of it in the previous ones because it was before I started putting more focus on type of heater to use if I don't have the luxury of campground shore power.

Sure is fun to figure out a working layout.. I am checking and triple checking the flow

My buddy and I determined to sort out my "shower" first as it will be the hardest part of my build.. then the bed and the counters and such get whats left.. i may end up with just a hammock