Advice on how to find reliable Ram Promaster high roof 2500 or 1500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veganspirit

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’d like to find Ram Promaster either 2500 or 1500, used, affordable but reliable. I know people say find mechanic to check one out, but I am also hearing now, that these and other larger fans are hard to find, and they’ve postponed making newer ones for now. So I found they’ve been pretty expensive the little bit that I found. Thoughts and suggestions would be great. Thank you so much.  I found 2019‘s that were approximately $38-$40,000. Ideally I’d prefer to spend closer to in the 20s so I can afford to hopefully pay to get it help built out. My skills consist of I spent five hours one day watching YouTube on how to use a drill, and I still struggle with that, and can do no practice with anything until I can get electric in a van I have no place to practice.

The problem is that Promaster vans are not known for their reliability.

Promaster = Front Wheel Drive(FWD).

I would never own a FWD vehicle, IMO they are el cheapo throw away vehicles. Especially since those things are actually Fiats.

Highdesertranger

I found my 2017 Promaster on cargurus.com, bought it used from a fleet sale in Portland OR. Main defect was a broken radio which dealer replaced under warranty. I also adjusted my back doors (myself). I cant imagine ever throwing my Promaster away as HDR recomends.

Promaster is front wheel drive, and you can easily turn around, park etc. Also is about $10k less than the other major brands. Expediters cannot use a van more that 5 years old, so you will see used ones.

Was quite easy to build out, though I used it for a year before I wanted to give it a finished look. Finishing took about a month. Comes with rack bolts installed for adding the roof rack.

Dont forget that Promaster has a low back axle so off roading in deep ruts or plowing through more than a foot of snow is not advisable.
-crofter

MSRP on a new one $30k
https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-proma...YSr9dqJwDmPzEeULXjYaAsK5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Listings of used ones, prices higher than new. Can still get an older one around $20k if you look for it.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-RAM-ProMaster-d2229

highdesertranger said:
Especially since those things are actually Fiats.

Highdesertranger

Well, yes and no. The European versions are definitely the Fiat Ducato (plus some re-badged versions for other car makers). They've been around for a long time and are quite popular. Dunno about how Europeans feel about their reliability vs. other Eurovans. The Promaster as sold in the U.S. is the Ducato van body, but with a powertrain from Chrysler. A 3.6 L V6 Chrysler Pentastar engine with their 62TE six speed automatic. 

Now how you feel about Chrysler products is another story  :)  I'm a fan of the Chevy Express / GMC Savana myself, but not everyone wants a low-roof van...