You Ain't Right Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a riding lawnmower, but an ATV would be way more fun.

National Parks that require you to stay on established roads do not allow ATVs even street legal ones to be driven in the parks as they consider them designed by the manufacturer to go off road and too tempting for owners with those capabilities to obey the rules. A street legal jeep or motorcycle can be driven in the parks on existing roads. Pretty interesting argument in Utah as the state made it legal for ATVs to drive on their roads in an attempt to open up the parks in Utah for their use. One reason I like my Samurai is it is legal on all federal lands roads where vehicles are permitted.

Oh I know they aren’t legal in tons of places but in AZ I can plate it and use it on any street or back in the desert. The desert is full of trails. I use it as my car in Q to shop and go to club meetings and whatever. Only 66mph???? Dang, I’m going to have to get that governor removed.

No button for the dump in back. You have to get out and pull a lever but maybe if you were in back I might be able to reach around if I twist my arm right.

There is a 700 plus mile ATV trail (the peace trail) - i think. Anyway a very long trail that runs through Quartzite. I’ve often met folks in their ATVs packed up for a long trip and that’s what they are doing.

Many people do not understand what an existing road is and cut new trails which can be illegal on federal lands. I would recommend checking and asking local officials if new to the area. Many wildlife areas have been created to restrict vehicle use as well as closures of many previous roads. This is mainly due to damage done to water drainages, habitat and even dust created by ATV traffic which has increased tremendously the last few years. The number of older people with handicaps has increased as well that can only access public lands with them so it will be interesting to see how our government handles the problem. So far the federal agencies have said no and started to limit access while the states have said yes and opened up public roads.

When I was in Craggy Wash by Lake Havasu last winter, mobs of those putt-putts would go up and down the road all day long making large clouds of dust. High speeds. At least you could hear them comin' 1/2 mile away. Win-win, say what. Dust and noise.

When I would come into Quartzsite on 95 from the south, it was common for putt-putts to be running on the trail along the roadside, going faster than I was. Couldn't tell if it was Cam, as they are usually covered head to tail in dust masks.

I think a better name for Cammalu is HDS, High Desert Streaker, for obvious reasons of localized symmetry.

Q you might want to rename that nick name for Cammalu. technically Quartzsite is in the Lower Desert so LDS might fit better. but then the Mormons might have something about that. LOL. highdesertranger

HDS has a much cooler sound to it. I'm sure you understand. After all, Low Desert Ranger wouldn't get anyone's attention, LOL.

Qxxx said:
When I would come into Quartzsite on 95 from the south, it was common for putt-putts to be running on the trail along the roadside, going faster than I was. Couldn't tell if it was Cam, as they are usually covered head to tail in dust masks.

I usually just drive in the road for those couple miles between la Posa South and Q if I’m hurrying. If I’m not I travel on trails thru the desert nowhere near the road. I’ll drive the trails 10 miles to avoid a couple miles of road. You have to go so damn fast to keep up with traffic all the while freezing to death. Not fun. Yep, covered head to toe to include a face mask.

I seem to remember seeing one fly by with somebody wearing a coonskin cap with the tail a flying a couple years ago on the back road to the RTR!!! Let me guess, bet it was you!

If it was making a corner doing a 4 wheel drift, then it was definitely the High Desert Streaker.

I’m a pretty careful driver. Except when I get scared and close my eyes...

Oh guys, I WAS a daredevil, but whent you have kids you become the most careful driver

Welcome aboard the YARC Marvin !
We'll be loading 2x2 every day till,,,,,well , you know.....

Question for the YARC group who is on the LTVA land. How long does it take to drive from there to a place where there is a mail box or post office? I have a business where I need to do some shipping now and again especially in November and December. Not worried about picking up mail, I just need a mailbox to put packages into.

you need to be more specific. there are several LTVA's in California and Arizona, which one are you looking at? for instance at Mule Mountain CA it's a pretty good drive into Blythe at least 20 miles maybe 30. but at La Posa outside of Quartzsite you could walk to the Post Office. at La Posa South at the YARC camp I believe it's like 10 miles. hopefully someone who ain't right will chime in. highdesertranger

There seems to be a plethora of complaints about the Quartzsite PO and long, long lines. It’s very near the LTVAs around Quartzsite however. Last year we went through a mail service there in Quartzsite and never had a problem with them. I think it was about $9 a month? We will do the same this year.

Looked it up. It’s BCM Mail and ship (928) 927-4213 for more info. It’s in Quartzsite around the corner from the Senior Center which, BTW, has hot lunches daily for $3. Pretty good in the past.

Yep and the mummy is on the way to Q now! I’m somewhere traveling through Missouri and am going to stop at the big RV graveyard in Carthage

I have space if anyone needs me to pick up something. Only a few hours till I’m there. You could call and order something and pick it up from me in Q around a week from now. I will be stopping at the YARC bar overnight in Texas and Albuquerque for the weekend.

Shirley there is a YARC bar in the Leviathan. I can't wait get to Q this winter to see it!