Women's Forum: What do you do for work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a retired registered nurse. Though I've kept my Florida license just in case I have to work at the nurse's last refuge of jobs, giving flu shots.
Ted

Ted you can work anywhere in the world with that profession!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a house/pet sitter. I do overnight, in-home pet care for owners who prefer that to kennels.

In between gigs, I dwell in my car..

Right now, I am on week one of a three week gig, to be followed by a week off, then another three week gig.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Itheinfamousj said:
I am a house/pet sitter. I do overnight, in-home pet care for owners who prefer that to kennels.

In between gigs, I dwell in my car..

Right now, I am on week one of a three week gig, to be followed by a week off, then another three week gig.

What kind of car if you don't mind me asking?

Kiwi49 said:
What kind of car if you don't mind me asking?
Honda Civic.

I do things a bit differently than most here. I have an air mattress that turns the entire passenger side of my Civic into a nearly 6' long, flat bed without major modification and carry at most a JetBoil for cooking a hot meal, but mostly eat 'raw'. I have a week's worth of clothes. And that is pretty much it.

VanKitten said:
For many years I worked as a groom on the racetrack.    It is a nomadic lifestyle.
Staying put for a couple of months, then moving on to the next track.

I could do it again....but track rules prohibit living in an RV.   They don't really like to even have them on the grounds.  

I was thinking I might be able  I find the occasional situation at a training center....Florida is great for them in the winter.  

Well, anyway...the option is there.

If it's a nomadic lifestyle, why are there rules against living in an RV?

I sooo love reading all the responses on this thread! I can't tell you how helpful they all are. For me, I believe I will be workkamping when I can, little jobs here and there, Forest Service, and my back up will be to get my CDL and drive school buses during the school year if need be. Right now I am working full time as a dispatcher for First Student, Inc and am saving, dreaming, planning, longing for the day I walk away from it all. The walking part comes with the replacement of two knee's. Hopefully completed by the end of next year. :D

What a great question. I've always been curious as to what people who travel so often do for work. I am a behavioral therapist by day and a bartender by night. I make my own schedule with clients allowing me to take off weeks at a time to travel. I will be going to grad school in September so the traveling will be put on hold for a while.

For those interested in pet sitting it truly is an awesome job. But finding clientele is the difficulty.
I can tell you what worked for me and you can take it from there.
But the pay varies. My Dad always told me to charge what the market will bear. And I have gotten up to $100 per day. Granted those were my very good clients.
But what I did was build a website using basically stock photos with my own personal pictures if me with my own pets. I use weebly but there a ton of easy to use site builders out there or go to fiverr and hire someone to do it. Choose a name. Design a logo using free apps or fiverr again.Purchase a domain name.
Do the standard pages. Home page, contact us,blog and a store if you would like to offer anything pet related or pet things that you like.
Then set up your social media sites. Just post regularly even if you are not working regularly. Print up business cards.
I camped outside if Houston and just joined all of the Facebook group pages that allowed posting for small business.
I slowly built my customers then when I felt like moving I just decided where and repeated the process. I still stay in contact with my best customers and when they need me I just make sure they give me plenty of notice so I can tie up all of my current business.
I then post an ad in Craigslist in the ride share section offering to transport anything to where I need to go.
Keep in mind this is a business so all of your experiences are tax deductible.
I know this sounds complicated but truly it has been so easy.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Van Lady said:
I retired last year after working as an RN for 43 years. I wake up every morning thanking God I do not have to go to work. People say to me how nice it must feel to know I helped many people, and yes it is, however people have no idea the toll it took (and is still taking out of working nurses). Nursing is very physically, emotionally and psychologically draining. My part time van traveling is going to be an attempt to get filled up again. I want to see beauty and be around good people. I do not want to be around suffering, death and dying anymore. It has colored my outlook and not for the best. I really look forward to meeting you all on the road!

Nurse for 28 years, NP for 5 in community health. I understand. May your new life fill those empty tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently working as a grounds keeper for the local high school until June of next year (boss doesn't know that yet). I am renting a private space at a local family's residence and have full hook-ups for a really good price.

Instructional Designer/Web Developer. I create e-learning. I have been an Art teacher K-12 also but long ago gave up that career. I can do most of my work remotely as long as I have an internet connection.

hausmutti said:
If it's a nomadic lifestyle, why are there rules against living in an RV?

Wow...sorry to be so long getting back to this.    It has been a very event filled 4 months!!

Anyway...the race track security and Racing Commission always want to keep the option to enter and inspect your room and/or remove you.

Since they do not rent living accommodations to you, and it is not your private property...the laws concerned tenants do not apply to anyone living on the track.   They are not landlords.  If they let you live in your RV they would have to comply with a whole set of state laws.

Even having it on the track is a problem to them.   Many do not allow it to be parked inside the stable gate.   Even those horse transports with the little living room in the front are usually required to be parked somewhere else.

DuneElliot said:
I'm really hoping to figure out a way to work online as I'm just not sure how things are going to work out with a full time job and two dogs without a yard!

The WAH Woman - I've been looking at this site/blog in attempts to find something for passive income.  Seems like if I lean in on a few things I can probably have a few bucks trickle in.

I'm not on the road yet.  My vehicle is dual purpose with a workshop & living quarters.

Van Lady said:
I retired last year after working as an RN for 43 years. I wake up every morning thanking God I do not have to go to work. People say to me how nice it must feel to know I helped many people, and yes it is, however people have no idea the toll it took (and is still taking out of working nurses). Nursing is very physically, emotionally and psychologically draining. My part time van traveling is going to be an attempt to get filled up again. I want to see beauty and be around good people. I do not want to be around suffering, death and dying anymore. It has colored my outlook and not for the best. I really look forward to meeting you all on the road!
Thank You..
Your perspective and awarenesses go much deeper than you probably share..I truly thank you for getting up every morning..when I know it was probably not what you wanted to do on many occasions..HUGE HUGS  and such gratitude for your commitment and honor!!!!

Life coach specializing in trauma healing and nutrition coaching.

Txjaybird said:
Has anyone here done caretaking for short or long term?  I've seen advertisements for The Caretaker Gazette, is anyone familiar with it?
I have not done sites for them but The Caretaker Gazette is very well known. A Gal I know who does care taking all full-time, so she uses that resource and a handful of others as well. I believe they are all membership sites. She definitely cherry-picks her places and has been able to stay in million-dollar homes and locales that are considered resorts all over the US, Canada and even SOB.