Women's Forum: What do you do for work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pippylongstocking said:
I am curious as to what all of you do to support yourself and how you got into that line of work?
:idea: 

Pippy

Im a stay home momma now, but have been a retail manager for a long time. I also do hair/ makeup and most things beauty related. I can cut, or color, perm hair on the road when I need to. There is always someone in need of something hair related. Doing it outside of a salon now means it is MUCH more affordable to the client too. (I'm cheap now. LOL) Doing the cuts on the road is simpler than color, or perm as I can't get those supplies as easily out here. Makes sense :)
Anyway....hubby is the main bread winner around here since I  left corporate America, but right now I wouldn't have it any other way. I get major time with my kiddo, and hubs, and the kiddo gets a much better education now too!

Another possibility is housesitting/petsitting.

I ran across this site, which looked interesting: http://ultimatehousesittingguide.co...-overview-of-all-major-housesitting-websites/

Some van dwellers house or pet sit for free, just to have a place to stay for a bit, and have access to a shower, laundry facilities and to get out of bad weather, but I think you should charge at least $10/day, esp if pets are involved. Outside pet care is expensive (more than $10/day per pet), plus the stress of the pet being in a strange place/run/cage.

michele0203 said:
Hi, pippy!

I'm not on the road yet, but currently I am employed as a social worker.  I got into this field after 1st being an elementary school teacher and realizing that I enjoyed helping the students with their personal problems more than teaching them the required subjects!

When I get on the road....I'm still working out that plan exactly but currently one of my thoughts is to try out traveling social worker jobs for 4 months or so out of the year and travel the remaining months. Other options I've thought of are house sitting jobs or nanny jobs or really any PT job that seems enjoyable.  That's my main goal really. ..to only do work that I enjoy while still supporting myself.

What do you do for work?

Wow Michele so cool.  I have a bachelor's in social work but haven't worked in the field for many years.  Worked with adults with developmental disabilities.  Love it but the 60 hour work week burned me out.  What population do you work?

I'm retired now. I had my first food service job in1966 and the last one 2000.  The "can you poach an egg" question really made me smile. I can.....sometimes  :)       When applying for a cooks job at a small truck stop that was adding a 3rd shift   I was once asked "can you talk on the CB, can you work all night, can you cook and serve too"?  My reply " if your mic cord is long enough I can do all 4 at the same time",  I got the job!

Once on a job application as a waitress for the question of "sex" I answered "sometimes".. Got that job too!

Of all the jobs I've had I love cooking.

Has anyone here done caretaking for short or long term?  I've seen advertisements for The Caretaker Gazette, is anyone familiar with it?

Jewellann

Stuck in Tucson tonight but struggling to arrive Friday before rain does.

Hi there. I am currently working as a Counselor in a school. Those suggestions are helpful. michele0203 said:
Hi, pippy!

I'm not on the road yet, but currently I am employed as a social worker.  I got into this field after 1st being an elementary school teacher and realizing that I enjoyed helping the students with their personal problems more than teaching them the required subjects!

When I get on the road....I'm still working out that plan exactly but currently one of my thoughts is to try out traveling social worker jobs for 4 months or so out of the year and travel the remaining months. Other options I've thought of are house sitting jobs or nanny jobs or really any PT job that seems enjoyable.  That's my main goal really. ..to only do work that I enjoy while still supporting myself.

What do you do for work?

Hi. I work in social services and feel the same way. I feel burned out and can\ said:
I retired last year after working as an RN for 43 years. I wake up every morning thanking God I do not have to go to work. People say to me how nice it must feel to know I helped many people, and yes it is, however people have no idea the toll it took (and is still taking out of working nurses). Nursing is very physically, emotionally and psychologically draining. My part time van traveling is going to be an attempt to get filled up again. I want to see beauty and be around good people. I do not want to be around suffering, death and dying anymore. It has colored my outlook and not for the best. I really look forward to meeting you all on the road!

Queen said:
Not on the road yet, but I thought about being a hooker.  Although I'm old, walk with a limp, am gay, and don't like hanging out with dudes much, so my plan is a bit problematic.  My fall back is just using my retirement income, paltry as it may be.   :p

too funny :p

I'm really hoping to figure out a way to work online as I'm just not sure how things are going to work out with a full time job and two dogs without a yard!

Gigi said:
Wow Michele so cool.  I have a bachelor's in social work but haven't worked in the field for many years.  Worked with adults with developmental disabilities.  Love it but the 60 hour work week burned me out.  What population do you work?

Hi, Gigi!  Sorry for the delay!   I work in an inpatient drug rehab center.  Definitely understand burn out...actually feeling it myself currently...  I finally took the leap of faith and have stepped down to PRN.  Regaining my health now in order to take this show on the road!

I'm not on the road yet, one thing or another keeps holding back my goal date, but I'm going to get there!!!!

I don't know for sure how I'm going to make money on the road yet but I fortunately have a variety of skills so I know something will work out. I do some virtual assistance work (social media support, blog and website maintenance etc) and it would be great if I built that up because I can do that anywhere that I can connect to wi-fi. I also would like to build up and monetize my blog. But I am also a Reiki Practitioner and just received my Bachelors in Metaphysical Sciences (and finishing my Masters) so I'm sure I could do something with that here and there while traveling. Once I complete my Masters I will also be an ordained Minister so I can perform weddings, celebration of life ceremonies and things of the like while I travel. I am also going to be a LuLaRoe consultant and totally plan on continuing that on the road because I can also do that anywhere.

If none of that is enough to support me then I will definitely pick up jobs here and there on the road and maybe even try out workcamping.

I know it will all work out either way and I can't wait to be on the road finally!!!!

Retirement income and playing the market. Don't make a mint in gains and dividends, but we make enough to make a noticeable difference in our lifestyle.

Queen said:
Headache - heard that!  LOL  Used to drive for a seed corn company, hauled farm machinery on a lowboy around the Midwest.  Truck stops are truly weird places at times.

As for a real answer about working on the road,we'll probably work camp for FWS or NPS.

ok...not up on  all the lingo yet...what does fws or nps stand for please :huh:

For many years I worked as a groom on the racetrack. It is a nomadic lifestyle.
Staying put for a couple of months, then moving on to the next track.

I could do it again....but track rules prohibit living in an RV. They don't really like to even have them on the grounds.

I was thinking I might be able I find the occasional situation at a training center....Florida is great for them in the winter.

Well, anyway...the option is there.

HI, I'm new here. In the process of getting my ducks in a row to begin my new lifestyle. I own a small business selling brand name perfume and cologne, gifts, lingerie, and accessories. I presently have a web site that I am preparing to run full time. Online work is the way to go when you are on the road. Find drop shipping suppliers so you don't have to carry inventory unless you want to. :)

~ Twyla

“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”

Welcome Earthgal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txjaybird said:
Has anyone here done caretaking for short or long term?  

I did caretaking for a snowbird family member for about 5 years. It was a labor of love, and though I had a place to live it was quite a bit of work. Probably averaged 15 hours per week with snow removal and wood chopping in the winter and landscape care in the summer. Plus some deep cleaning and renovations thrown in. My furry friend worked also as a guard. 
I have a friend who does that type of work now and she charges $20 per hour. - crofter

I am not on the road yet, but here's what I'm working on:

Selling used books  and other things on Amazon - I source at thrift stores, library sales, garage sales, ship in 50lb boxes to Amazon, and then adjust prices and hope things keep selling, currently sales are slumped.

Selling Poofy Organics - It's a MLM type company and is USDA organic, meets my high ingredient standards.

Crafty things - I sew and would love to sell more of what I make, I also am working on jump starting my friend's hemp jewelry business but that's been challenging working with someone.

I have a 4 year old son so anything I do has to be compatible with solo parenting full time. I was trying to get a work camping job but did not find one for this season that was a good fit (only had one interview).