Women's Forum: What do you do for work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious as to what all of you do to support yourself and how you got into that line of work?
:idea: 

Pippy

Hi, pippy!

I'm not on the road yet, but currently I am employed as a social worker. I got into this field after 1st being an elementary school teacher and realizing that I enjoyed helping the students with their personal problems more than teaching them the required subjects!

When I get on the road....I'm still working out that plan exactly but currently one of my thoughts is to try out traveling social worker jobs for 4 months or so out of the year and travel the remaining months. Other options I've thought of are house sitting jobs or nanny jobs or really any PT job that seems enjoyable. That's my main goal really. ..to only do work that I enjoy while still supporting myself.

What do you do for work?

That's cool, I am currently a motivation speaker and travel around to schools around the country. I'm in a different city almost every night. I am also a professional musician and make some money off of that. I hope to go full time with music eventually, if i can find a way to make enough money through that.

Not on the road yet, but I thought about being a hooker.  Although I'm old, walk with a limp, am gay, and don't like hanging out with dudes much, so my plan is a bit problematic.  My fall back is just using my retirement income, paltry as it may be.   :p

Queen there's always that one customer that wants some strange. lol

Former truck driver, disabled now, going to do a genealogy project complete with youtube videos starting next year.

Headache - heard that! LOL Used to drive for a seed corn company, hauled farm machinery on a lowboy around the Midwest. Truck stops are truly weird places at times.

As for a real answer about working on the road,we'll probably work camp for FWS or NPS.

Stay at home momma to a 3 year old. My husband loves his career and his employer. Thankfully we are in a position where I'm able to stay home and care for our child. Daycare is ridiculously expensive.
I work part-time online with amazon mTurk, but once our kid starts kindergarten I hope to be doing transcription online, writing the closed caption text for videos and stuff. I do a bit of it now, but I need quiet and our son is noisy lol.

The plan is to minivan dwell long weekends and summers with the kiddo, and to work during the school year.
But as of right now we're a one-car family with a Prius that my husband takes to work.

I'm officially retired but since I suck at being a beach bum for more than a few days at a time I took a part time seasonal job this summer.

I just finished my last day of work yesterday and am ecstatic to be done although I thoroughly enjoyed my work.

I was the alternate cook (meaning only one of us in the kitchen at a time... :) ) for a small off the grid resort log cabin that seemed to be miles out in the bush. If you knew the back way in, it was only 8 miles out of internet service.

I cooked for up to 21 on a cranky 100 year old stove fueled with propane, heated water for dishes in 10 gallon pots on the stove and had to use my headlamp to see my way down to the pantry/fridge in the 'dungeon' of a basement.

Good thing I was used to doing without electricity already, having grown up with an off the grid summer home and a lot of years of experience of cooking over a wood fire and out in the wild on canoe trips. Having a large kitchen lit only by sunlight and propane lanterns and using a hand pump at the sink to draw water was nothing to even dwell on.

While I'd cooked for 50 years and thought nothing of hosting house parties for 50 when I owned a house, I'd never cooked professionally so this was a bit of a challenge and something new for me.

I will say that it upped my cooking skills by several notches. My friends will benefit by it this winter when we do pot-luck dinners.... :D :D 

Next summer I will be looking for campground host positions in British Columbia!!

I retired last year after working as an RN for 43 years. I wake up every morning thanking God I do not have to go to work. People say to me how nice it must feel to know I helped many people, and yes it is, however people have no idea the toll it took (and is still taking out of working nurses). Nursing is very physically, emotionally and psychologically draining. My part time van traveling is going to be an attempt to get filled up again. I want to see beauty and be around good people. I do not want to be around suffering, death and dying anymore. It has colored my outlook and not for the best. I really look forward to meeting you all on the road!

Well thank you for doing it Van Lady. I could never do a job like that so I appreciate every nurse like you that's ever helped to patch me up, especially when I fell and busted my spleen. Apparently I was a breath of fresh air for those nurses because I wasn't practically in a drugged out coma and turned myself in my bed. I wasn't in trauma or ICU long.

But there's a few NPs I'd like to see get canned!

Still not on the road yet, trying to save up more money and figuring out how to actually do this.

I am self-employed (the first) 6 months of the year and work for a friend doing forestry work the other 6 months. I make more money working for my friend, so I *think* I can make the finances work living out of my car for say, 3 months of the year. Just need to take the plunge.

Queen said:
Not on the road yet, but I thought about being a hooker.  Although I'm old, walk with a limp, am gay, and don't like hanging out with dudes much, so my plan is a bit problematic.

Why can't you offer your services to women? [emoji14]

TooManyDogs said:
Why can't you offer your services to women? [emoji14]

Pretty sure the old/fat/gimpy part would still play into it.  :p

Queen:  "I thought about being a hooker.  Although I'm old, walk with a limp, am gay, and don't like hanging out with dudes much, so my plan is a bit problematic."

Snort/laugh!  So what would be the point?  The money can be good, but the dangers usually supersede them.  When I lived in Las Vegas, the newspaper said someone did a survey or study on them, and something like 97.6% were junkies.  THAT doesn't seem to fit you, either.

I always wanted to be the Empress of the Universe, and you can see how well THAT worked out.

An old Chinese saying: Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

**sigh**

[quote pid='231884' dateline='1476126139']

I just finished my last day of work yesterday and am ecstatic to be done although I thoroughly enjoyed my work.

I was the alternate cook (meaning only one of us in the kitchen at a time... :) ) for a small off the grid resort log cabin that seemed to be miles out in the bush. If you knew the back way in, it was only 8 miles out of internet service.

[/quote]

This is something I would like to try one summer. Was it difficult finding a job with no professional experience?  Nora

jaxtonsgram said:
This is something I would like to try one summer. Was it difficult finding a job with no professional experience?  Nora

Well, I actually had an in with the company owner - I knew him from some of my volunteer work.

That and he was a little desperate for someone who could cook! They had hired someone in the spring for the job and when  she said "I quit" at the same time as the manager said 'you're fired' it left the other chef working 6+ days a week, some days being 12 hour days to boot.

Also, lets face it, I had cooked from the time I was 17 and starting a family, thought nothing of hosting house parties that ended up with 40 or more guests and am capable of following recipes. I also have great time management skills so figuring out how to get it all ready at the same time wasn't THAT hard!!

In my interview he asked what I thought were some pretty silly questions like 'can you poach eggs' and I'm like 'huh, of course I can'. I thought everybody could poach a damn egg....apparently not.... :rolleyes: :D . Now getting 21 of those suckers poached at the same time took talent.... :D :D

But then, I also have really, really good sales experience so I most likely just sold him on me like I would any other product or service... :angel:

[quote pid='232201' dateline='1476230065']

In my interview he asked what I thought were some pretty silly questions like 'can you poach eggs' and I'm like 'huh, of course I can'. I thought everybody could poach a damn egg....apparently not.... :rolleyes: :D . Now getting 21 of those suckers poached at the same time took talent.... :D :D

[/quote]

Thanks for replying...and I have never poached an egg. Guess I better practice!  Nora

I plan on going back to seasonal guest ranch work, or potentially doing the sugarbeet harvest and Amazon plus some temp work when I need to. I'll see where life takes me and what the road holds...no definite plans yet other than being full-time rubber tramp after September