Metromile Vehicle Insurance, Pay by the mile. What do you think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I used a company called MileMeter. Similar concept, except all you did to renew every 6 months was take a picture of your odometer with any digital camera or smartphone and email the image to them. No OBD2 tracking device needed.

It was very cheap for me, because the pickup I was insuring was barely being driven, maybe 2500 miles a year, since I put all my major driving miles on other vehicles, such as the work truck (18 wheeler) and my Harleys. I remember paying around $35 every 6 months. Yep. THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS for 6 months. Full coverage. Crazy.

Eventually something happened, I think Allstate and some other companies complained, sued, and bought them out. Bummer.

Currently there is a similar plan for motorcycles called Voom, and I did a comparison with my current company (Geico) and found the Voom rates were actually higher than Geico, mainly because I get a multi-vehicle discount with Geico.

So it pays to comparison shop. I'd sure like to see more companies offer by-the-mile insurance rates.

There's a Mile Auto insurance linked at the bottom of the article you take & send a photo once a month. Last bike I had was a Honda Valkyrie. We did from the MI/IN line to Thunder Bay Ont in 1 day, my son with me & a buddy on a HD Road King. We did many miles @ 100 mph side by side as the roads in Canada were great! We all did a couple Iron Butts also. You could stand anicke on edge on the engine & run it up & down to redline & never have the nickel tip.

Latest posts