The Most and Least Expensive Car Insurance Rates by State

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8ful

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The range of car insurance cost in different states blew me away. We pay $60 per month but don't have collision but have comp as we've hit many deer & it covers glass. We also don't have debt & buy vehicles with cash. Michigan is #1 in high Ins cost. Checj it out & let me know what you think.
https://clark.com/insurance/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates-states/

The range of car insurance cost in different states blew me away. We pay $60 per month but don't have collision but have comp as we've hit many deer & it covers glass. We also don't have debt & buy vehicles with cash. Michigan is #1 in high Ins cost. Checj it out & let me know what you think.
https://clark.com/insurance/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates-states/
This stuff is not difficult. Insurance rates are based on statistical data.

To get low auto insurance rates choose your place of domicile in a state that has less population and choose it where you are away from large cities. Large city zones have higher rates due to more theft and more accidents. Also choose it where you are not in zones for a hurricane, tornado, large hail, flooding , forest fire or where there is a lot of snow and ice. Of course that eliminates a lot of the land areas in the USA. Places with fine weather do tend to be more populated. State by state there are maps with zones for auto insurance rates. You will have to search the internet for them, the insurance companies themselves use them as part of the process of determining your rates. It is not just a guessing game, there is method to it.

Last edited:
If we didn't have Detroit & the surrounding cities Michigan would be one of the best states to live. I'm on the opposite side & had never been near Detroit till I got married & we went to Canada. Michigan has no fault & higher limits that run the price up also. We don't have hurricanes, almost no tornado, or large hail, no flooding , no forest fire, little snow and no ice. Last 3 winter we were plowed once per winter is all. Years ago I had a meeting at the Macus Red Fox, last place Jimmy Hoffa was seen alive, most of the folks were from the Detroit area & most all had their car stolen about once a year. I couldn't believe it.

I forgot to mention. The downside of choosing a rural area just to save on auto insurance is that in rural areas the cost of health insurance is higher. So if you need to purchase health insurance or supplemental health insurance you might not have bothered going rural for a domicile to save on auto insurance as there could be no net cost savings after paying health insurance increases.

Most likely your best bet would be to create a spreadsheet so you can create an overall look at cost. That would also need a line item for returning to an area for renewing various types of licenses or to visit a primary doctor.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. The downside of choosing a rural area just to save on auto insurance is that in rural areas the cost of health insurance is higher. So if you need to purchase health insurance or supplemental health insurance you might not have bothered going rural for a domicile to save on auto insurance as there could be no net cost savings after paying health insurance increases.

Most likely your best bet would be to create a spreadsheet so you can create an overall look at cost. That would also need a line item for returning to an area for renewing various types of licenses or to visit a primary doctor.
The crime rate affects premiums and I lived in a rural area that had extremely high crime. An agent mentioned the crime rate to me.

Also, health insurance depends on the state. Not rural versus urban. Right?

The crime rate affects premiums and I lived in a rural area that had extremely high crime. An agent mentioned the crime rate to me.

Also, health insurance depends on the state. Not rural versus urban. Right?
Health insurance is a complicated topic! It is tempting to lump everyone participating in this forum as being strictly on Medicare. But that is not the true picture. Even those on Medicare might also be purchasing a supplemental medical insurance policy. So yes it does matter where you domicile because the cost for medical insurance is also a state by state and regions within a state insurance charges controlled situation. Medicare does not always cover 100% of all medical care charges. There are limits to what they cover. What Medicare pays nationwide is fixed. The cost for supplemental insurance to cover you for cost is not paid by the government is not controlled by Medicare. That is a private insurance policy you sign up for. Medicaid is yet another pathway and that is also a state by state situation but using federal guidelines for income to qualify.

Advice given in public forums can lead to a lot of confusion and misunderstandings. You must verify everything from official sources before making any insurance coverage decisions. Most states have some type of senior helpline guidance for seniors and low income individuals seeking medical coverage. You will have to do a keyword search yourself to find it or visit a senior center and ask who to contact for advice, that is part of what local senior centers do to assist their clients. A public library is another place to go. They also keep a list of those types of helpline resources you can contact.

Last edited:
I just learned today that Social Security is going down 1% per year until it reaches 33%.
Definitely going to lock in my 47% instead of 50% in three years when I file.
What a nightmare, waiting through the pros and cons of the different Medicare options.