Wind deflector

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBinMI

Reaction score
So I've noticed that full-size RVs have a contoured front to aid in cutting down on wind resistance. My FrankenCamper (former popup) is now a tall box with an L-shaped profile. This is not good for air currents. So, I'm trying to figure out a stable, lightweight solution to add curvature to the forward face. An added concern is that the storage box still has to be accessible while the wind-screen is up. Has anyone seen plans for something like this, or has anyone designed and built one? Suggestions for relatively rigid and lightweight materials that will hold up under travel conditions?

Yes, pictures would help ! If I have anywhere near the right image, you might try building up the rough shape you want with layers of styrofoam. You don't need to fill in the entire centre area. You don't need to use large pieces that reach the entire width, as long as the seams don't line up. Then, sand it to the desired shape. Pick up several sheer curtains from a thrift store and apply several layers with latex paint or a glue that won't melt the foam. If you feel that wooden inserts are required for support or mounting, glue them into the foam as you build and before you start covering it. For added adherence between the wood and foam, you can drill through the wood, into the foam and insert dowells with glue on them. When it is shaped and covered, sand it again and paint it.

where there is an idea most likely there are companies who have already created a product to solve the issue. All it takes to find these solutions are a few choice keywords. In this case the keywords “ cargo trailer wind deflector” used in an image search will give you a return of a number of concepts, the image is just one of those returns. You can find more of them to inspire you if you look with a search of your own. What you have the ability to fabricate for yourself depends on your skills and budget. Those factors are known only to you. I myself could not create this plastic product but the shape might inspire you to make a form to lay up a curved shape up out of fiberglass cloth and resin that could attach to the nose end of a boxy trailer.
IMG_1740.jpeg

Last edited:
where there is an idea most likely there are companies who have already created a product to solve the issue. All it takes to find these solutions are a few choice keywords. In this case the keywords “ cargo trailer wind deflector” used in an image search will give you a return of a number of concepts, the image is just one of those returns. You can find more of them to inspire you if you look with a search of your own. What you have the ability to fabricate for yourself depends on your skills and budget. Those factors are known only to you. I myself could not create this plastic product but the shape might inspire you to make a form to lay up a curved shape up out of fiberglass cloth and resin that could attach to the nose end of a boxy trailer.
View attachment 36083
Yes! I have tried to find something like this by searching, but wasn't successful. This is the general idea; unfortunately, way beyond my meager skill set. Even your suggestions of fiberglass cloth and resin seems daunting.

Well since we are doing this on the cheap maybe you could find an old larger satellite dish and mount it to the upper portion although I doubt you will see much improvement in fuel economy below 35 MPH. You will be adding weight so consider that as well. Just putting a slanted sheet of plywood between the top of the roof and the front of the lower box and enclose it as it might be easier and give you some more storage space. My little box trailer I built had a slanted nose but I don’t think it made much difference in my opinion as I usually traveled at lower speeds. Maybe saved 1 MPG when I traveled between 50MPH to 60MPH.

Yes! I have tried to find something like this by searching, but wasn't successful. This is the general idea; unfortunately, way beyond my meager skill set. Even your suggestions of fiberglass cloth and resin seems daunting.
There is likely not going to be a structurally sound solution that is both cheap and easy to fabricate that will hold up to a hurricane force wind when traveling down the interstate.

Or you could consider growing your skill set. There was a time when I did not know how to do any fiberglass work but the time came I needed to do some so I talked to some pros, got advice, did a lot of reading and research. Learned about the materials and methods and just got going on it. No one was going to do it for me and I could not afford to hire it out. But I have always been a brave little camper and up for some new experiences and adventures. I ran away from home to Alaska when I was still a female teenager of the tender age of 19. In my late twenties I took a job as an aircraft fabricator with no prior experience or training at it but I had a child to support.
I took on a full renovation of a derelict 50 year old fiberglass travel trailer at the age of 69 as a solo female with only occasional help from a couple of guys around the age of 80! So what if something sees a bit daunting, gaining new skills always feels that way, you just push yourself and learn new skills as you need them.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, you don't need a "bubble" shape like the earlier poster. You could just put a curved panel in front bowed in ONE plane, similar to the Airstream Basecamp. And, this might not be very difficult. I would rivet a 1" x 1" Aluminum Angle up each front corner, then, attempt to bow 1/4" Luan or similar to fit between those uprights.

A good sheet of Luan will usually bend with a reliable stable shape to it. You can do some searching to find various methods used to help bow the sheet. If the sheet does not want to cooperate and provide a smooth symmetry from side to side, you can temporarily create bridging behind the sheet to force areas out.

Then the kicker. Once you have the shape you need while attached to the trailer, and, as long as the sheet did not de-laminate, you coat it with polyester resin.. maybe a coat or two... outside first, let it dry, then the inside. There are various "cloth's" that can also be used to make this new "shell" really tough if necessary.

Lastly, if you are going to make this new roundish shell up front, you could build an inner structure of shelving and turn it into additional storage !

Thanks DB for the Picture.......

I'm a Design/Builder..........I would start with a Large used Solar panel (Santan Solar AZ)...... Or multiple panels bolted together and reinforced with angle.......HINGED from the "top" of the PopUp.........hanging at an angle towards the front of the BOX

To complete the Air-Daming ......I'd fill the Two triangle-sides with a plastic sheet good.....solid PVC or Sintra board .....permanently attached to the inside edge of the solar panel(s)......OR maybe some aluminum DIAMOND PLATE !

In-use-On-The-Road.......perhaps lock hasps etc. could hold it DOWN in place to the Box for traveling

In-use-In-Camp..............Raise the panel UP with braces to match the Sun and access the Box

The front wall could provide some additional exterior storage under the panel

(Specifications available upon request)

U could possibly run a section of awning track across leading edge of roof and go to a shop that makes tarps for big trucks. Give them your dimensions and have them sew in a rib to slide in track that u installed on roof. Along bottom of tarp have them install eyelets that u can lash to hooks across front of storage box. These truck tarps are Vinyl coated fabric and r tough. Not saying this is the best course of action but possibly an option.

Best wishes

The original configuration of your trailer was designed to solve the issue of wind resistance by having the top lower than the height of the tow vehicle. But of course there is no going back now. You could rebuild the front upper half of the trailer to have a slant or curve. Life is full of trade-offs. Unfortunately cheap + easy is not always achievable when DIY renovation by unskilled laborers is involved. Throw in it needing to be light in weight especially at the tongue end of a travel trailer and it can get even harder to achieve.

Last edited:
U could possibly run a section of awning track across leading edge of roof and go to a shop that makes tarps for big trucks. Give them your dimensions and have them sew in a rib to slide in track that u installed on roof. Along bottom of tarp have them install eyelets that u can lash to hooks across front of storage box. These truck tarps are Vinyl coated fabric and r tough. Not saying this is the best course of action but possibly an option.

Best wishes
Interesting concept option. It should work. The Sailrite company supplies what you are calling the “rib” and awning rail. The industry keyword search terms for finding the track and the header material that slides into the track is “KEDER”. The sewing part of the job is easy enough as it is just straight stitching but it will require an heavy duty sewing machine motor as well as a machine that can make longer stitches and handle heavy weight threads. Plus using a heavy duty needle made for sewing leather. The leather needles have a three sided tip with sharp edges that literally cut a small hole as it goes through the vinyl materials.

If you order the tarp material an upholstery shop or sail making shop will be able to handle the labor as they have heavy duty, industrial machines. Remember, the sewing task itself is easy it is just straight stitching. The labor cost is needing a pro who owns a machine that is up to the strength required. Putting in grommets is not difficult.

Last edited:
Yes, pictures would help ! If I have anywhere near the right image, you might try building up the rough shape you want with layers of styrofoam. You don't need to fill in the entire centre area. You don't need to use large pieces that reach the entire width, as long as the seams don't line up. Then, sand it to the desired shape. Pick up several sheer curtains from a thrift store and apply several layers with latex paint or a glue that won't melt the foam. If you feel that wooden inserts are required for support or mounting, glue them into the foam as you build and before you start covering it. For added adherence between the wood and foam, you can drill through the wood, into the foam and insert dowells with glue on them. When it is shaped and covered, sand it again and paint it.

This is how I'd do it. Fiberglass and epoxy would be best, but if that scares the OP then canvas and Titebond will work.

The most important thing is a good edge radius. The front can still be a large flat piece, but if you can get a 6" radius on the edges, it will be good. Wouldn't be hard to fab.

An easy way would be to make 4 triangles from 1/4" 5.2mm EXTERIOR grade luan. Make them so they have a high point in the center where they meet. Paint well & caulk the joints. Most box stores sell INT grade luan so you may have to go to a real lumberyard to get luan with EXT glue,

...My FrankenCamper (former popup) is now a tall box with an L-shaped profile. This is not good for air currents. So, I'm trying to figure out a stable, lightweight solution to add curvature to the forward face. An added concern is...the storage box still has to be accessible while the wind-screen is up. Has anyone seen plans for something like this, or has anyone designed and built one? Suggestions for relatively rigid and lightweight materials that will hold up under travel conditions?
Not only have I never seen plans for your wind-screen, I have my doubts anything even remotely similar could exist on the physical plane without abandoning everything we know as true.
[edited to add]
Could?
Or should?

Last edited:
Not only have I never seen plans for your wind-screen, I have my doubts anything even remotely similar could exist on the physical plane without abandoning everything we know as true.
[edited to add]
Could?
Or should?
A famous armchair philosopher once said, "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

It might take me a while, and picking a lot of brains, but I'll eventually figure this out. Either that, or I'll get too old to worry about actually taking this thing on the road. Cheers!

An easy way would be to make 4 triangles from 1/4" 5.2mm EXTERIOR grade luan. Make them so they have a high point in the center where they meet. Paint well & caulk the joints. Most box stores sell INT grade luan so you may have to go to a real lumberyard to get luan with EXT glue,
Kind of like building a pyramid that will lie on its side?