Why the Dearth of Mini-Class C RVs???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
I was thinking about developing a van, but I've rehabbed a fiberglass trailer before and "it's a massive amount of work" if you want more stuff, headroom, beds...so thought I'd get a small RV.
FAT CHANCE!
There are so few mini-RVs here in the USA.
LOADS of them in Japan, but wrong side steering and can't import.
I'm talking the 18'-ers, fully self-contained. 
Why do these RV companies insist on making obscene, too-long, "can't park in grocery story or camping site" ridiculosities?
Even 24' is too long for my style.
Why can't RV manufacturers get a clue that there are a whole lot of buyers who "no" can't spend $120K but just want a small fiberglass-y rv like they build in Japan en masse?   These things are really tight, neat, clean, efficient, mostly AWD or 4WD, fuel efficient.  I'd want one, alas that's not going to happen.

By the way beware of these import companies from Japan, they want you to put your escrow money with THEM! not a third party.  They will find a vehicle at auction, buy it for you, then ship it, ostensibly. There are some successes but overall it's considered a gray market, sometimes people put $15K into a car or RV and the company vanishes.  They're really good at photoshopping certificates of veracity/authenticity/credibility/vetting etc but these are just pretty pictures.  I checked, the Japanese government has never even heard of these companies or their associations of merit.   Even so the DOT/EPA only allow importation of old RVs from Japan, older than 25 years mostly, some lobbyists blocked this.   It's too bad since Japan seems way ahead of the curve on delightful little RVs for the regular family.  Not those monstrosities bearing a "I'm spending my childrens' inheritance" bumpersticker.
[img=199x149]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...torhome.jigsy.com/files/images/1_18.jpg[/img]

There is a 19 that some outfit uses for rentals and sells afterwards. There is a thread recently about this. I looked at them online and it looked like a good size.

I set up an RV trader search for 19-23' RVs and did get hits from time to time.

Roadtrek Simplicity is a B but might be worth looking at. Or maybe a 4x4 truck with truck camper? That would get you the overcab sleeper and the tidy interior.

Takes time and patience...I came across one the other day was super. Well cared for 1988....looked new and was local. However, I'm not ready, unfortunately.

About a week ago, I came across a Tiger on a Chevrolet cab (1998/1999?)...again not ready. They are out there; endurance wins the game!

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the reason there aren't more mini-rvs in this country is because there simply isn't much demand for them.

The average American is looking for a Condominium-On-Wheels.

definitely a small following, but they don't really fit a category really, i think they are cute but i wouldn't want to own one, and i suspect most people feel that way. their biggest problem is you can't really do anything with em. you can't take them off road and i suspect(from what I've read) they would be limited for boon docking, for durability reasons. that looks like a lot of weight on a small chassy. so what it boils down too is why have that when you can pay the same money or less(I've looked at a bunch on line they ain't cheap) and get a full size that has common parts, gets the same fuel milage, and can go more places?

squid said:
 . . .
I'm talking the 18'-ers, fully self-contained. 
 . . .
Why can't RV manufacturers get a clue that there are a whole lot of buyers who "no" can't spend $120K but just want a small fiberglass-y rv like they build in Japan en masse? . . . delightful little RVs for the regular family . . .

I don't see what these small class C RVs give you that a slide in pickup camper does not, other than walk through from cab to back.  I agree with Optimistic Paranoid: if a company could make money on them they would make them; the demand just isn't there.  Roadtrek probably fills that nitch.

As for a family, something that small is too cramped for 3 adult sized people or 2 adults and 2 small children.  Our culture is much different than Japan where families are used to small spaces.  Most Americans are used to houses with 800 - 1000 sq. ft. for each person.

-- Spiff

The average couple or family wants a bed, which the smaller under 20' class C's don't have. The shortest unit to have a (often disliked) corner bed is usually 22-23'.  So the demand isn't there for the companies.

Rental outfits have a small 19', see Cruise America or Del Monte RV. But for ownership, most North Americans (Canadians too) prefer something bigger, mid 20's at least. Water and propane tanks are all bigger, there's a full bed, the fridg/freezer is larger etc...

holy crap, a quarter of a million dollars for the Siberian!!! Nice looking, well outfitted rig but the price.

Also consider these babies are weighing in at just under 10 tons!

Mike R

I have a good friend with a Tiger Bengal on a Dodge Diesel 4x4 and it goes prety much anywhere ,,, and is mighty short on interior space , just right for 1 1/2 people!

MikeRuth said:
holy crap, a quarter of a million dollars for the Siberian!!! Nice looking, well outfitted rig but the price.

Also consider these babies are weighing in at just under 10 tons!

Mike R

Here's one on a F-550 (never knew such a thing existed) for only $450,000
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...rthRoamer-campervan-costs-people-s-homes.html
[img=962x641]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/22/09/41A1390200000578-0-image-a-2_1498120590941.jpg[/img]
[img=962x541]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/22/09/41A13D4700000578-0-image-a-6_1498120700548.jpg[/img]

Months ago PPL Motorhomes had a Thor Majestic 19 ft model for sale; it lasted about 3 days. As other posters have said the Cruise America website has a section of units that are for sale; all are quite high mileage, three years old and range in price from $25K to $33K. I also like the smaller models just for the ease of driving and because I could stand up in one (I'm 5'11"). I'm not a fan of cabover beds though and the dinette bed would probably be too short. I saw a similar one at an RV show that was 23 feet and looked manageable and had a full bed in the corner.

squid said:
I was thinking about developing a van, but I've rehabbed a fiberglass trailer before and "it's a massive amount of work" if you want more stuff, headroom, beds...so thought I'd get a small RV.
FAT CHANCE!
They can make more money off of larger rigs....

We were looking at the MB Sprinter Van Campers but the MSRP's of $130,000 - $140,000 for what we thought we wanted was prohibitive.  Even used, they were in the $95K range.   The more familiar we became with them, the less I liked them due to the "Wet Bath".    Then, we thought we like the VW Rialta until we saw their crazy Bathroom arrangement and also read the blogs that were really negative.  Plus, the price for a 1998 Rialta was in the $36,000 range,

We bought a 2004 GulfStream BT Cruiser 5211 (21.5' length) in Nov 2015  on eBay.  It is on a 2003 Ford E-350 Chassis, 5.4 Liter V8,  getting approx 10-11 Mpg.   (Have gotten up to 12 MPG on long flat rides.)   I saw a YouTube Video promoting it, called immediately, and flew to Mississippi to buy it and drive it home to Ohio.   45,000 miles on it and interior was like new.    Including the repairs I made, it came to $26,000.    Has a real DRY Bathroom/shower, Very nice Refrigerator, double Sink, Microwave, good storage, etc.   large holding tanks and 35 gallon fresh water.     I did add a Spare Tire Mount as GulfStream evidently thought it added too much weight!  ($1,200 event for Tire, Wheel and e-trailer bumper hitch mount system.)   Also moved rear license plate over to the Left Side and Rear Backup camera at the top of the back.
Bottom Line:  I figured I could buy a lot of Gasoline for the difference between the Sprinter and my BT Cruiser.   It does ride more like a truck than my 2000 Ford E150 High Top Van and it does weigh in a 11,000 lbs, but seems to be very well built.  

I really like camping in this B+ Class.  The 2004 model originally had an old style TV in the front.  We replaced that with a Small Flat Screen TV/DVD player from Camping World, hanging it by a mount from the front of the opening.  Then, we were able to free up all the space that used to be TV for storing Sleeping bags, Blankets, Pillows, etc and we hung a custom made Quilt over the opening so that it shows out beneath the TV.  

Hope all this info helps somebody.  Thanks for reading.

Coach House has three models with wheelbases that match pick-up trucks (158") and an overall length of 23'-2'' with a one piece fiberglass camper shell... coachhouserv.com Another 21' B+ is Phoenix Cruiser that has a 4X4 option... phoenixusarv.com    The Coach House has a Ford E450 base & the Phoenix has a E350 base, both 6.8 V10. Brand new these cost more than many of us can afford, but may be affordable on the used market.

We own a Coachmen Freelander 19CB. Short wheelbase, (shorter than my pickup), E350 chassis with 5.4l V8. We love everything about it. It is just the two of us, and three dogs. It has the same size tanks, fridge and bed as the larger Freelander, but in a more compact package. We can park in one space in a parking lot. Can U-turn on a city street. Tons of storage. To us it is the perfect RV. We take tons of trips, but we also use it to go to festivals, and our county fair. Gives you a great spot to cool off, and avoid smelly porta-potties, LOL!

Agree on small C/B+.

I was disappointed Hymer started with camper van class B.  They make some interesting B+/small C in combination with Roadtrek boon docking electrical systems would be awesome (if pricey...).  That Bengal Tiger is ideal, except for the price.

Matt, trying to figure out the move to nomadic full-timer

I saw an older Tiger on a video and fell in love. Would take that in a heartbeat!