Why the Dearth of Mini-Class C RVs???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frater secessus said:
That Freelander 19CB sounds terrific!

I have a Freelander 20CB. It's on the Ford Transit 350HD platform. 23.5 feet long. 7 feet 9 inches wide. Takes up two spaces end to end, but I almost never have a problem with parking in city. 

Working out perfectly for me and the dog. We full-time and I work from the rig.

I looked at the phoenixusarv.com website. Like the little one with a slide and with the Quigley 4x4 system I was getting kind of excited until I read they aren't allowed to sell into the Canadian Market. I have no idea why as they look really well made. Pricey to be sure but you usually get what you pay for. I would contact and ask but it really isn't my direction but a nice ford (I am a Dodge guy) v10 with a Quigley set up is a so much better than a 4x4 Sprinter set up.

CautionToTheWind said:
Takes time and patience...I came across one the other day was super. Well cared for 1988....looked new and was local. However, I'm not ready, unfortunately.

About a week ago, I came across a Tiger on a Chevrolet cab (1998/1999?)...again not ready. They are out there; endurance wins the game!
I haven't seen but maybe two or three 19' C's in the last 25 years.

First off, they all were single rear wheel (the ones I saw) and weren't all that stable.
Second - People wanted most everything in them and it was hard to design.

I had a 22' 1988 GMC that really was a dog, lots of water rot, a bad engine etc but I still liked the size. You don't usually get a real bed (even if it's a corner bed) until 22-23' it seems.

squid said:
There are so few mini-RVs here in the USA.
LOADS of them in Japan...

Because we 'Mericans love things big. Bigger is better, right? It's not enough to have a 40-foot RV. You need four slideouts 'n' stuff.

I had a old 22’ Class A Winnebago, rear bed, mid wet bath next to the kitchen/dining table/living area which was mostly the front seats. It worked for weekend camps but a wet bath and lack of space for water tanks, furnace, oven and stove plus sinks and refrigerator would just be too cramped for most families to live in. Basically they tried to cram an apartment into a 20’ x 7 1/2’ space which just didn’t work. Fortunately most people today have realized simplifying and reducing what works for them allows several advantages, like most van dwellers have come to realize. Those that haven’t buy bigger RVs, having everything with you is great until you can’t set or sleep comfortably which moves the market towards larger RVs with over $130,000 price tags.

"I had a 22' 1988 GMC that really was a dog, lots of water rot, a bad engine etc but I still liked the size. You don't usually get a real bed (even if it's a corner bed) until 22-23' it seems."

I really like those old GMCs. Always have. Something very Jetson's about them to this day....

https://www.gmcmi.com/motorhomes-for-sale/

Cheers!

Yea those "spaceship" 1970's versions were way ahead of their time in most regards, especially design. Kind of a powered Airstream or Avion.

My 88, actually I think it was an 84',' was a craptastic class C with the huge (leaking) window up front, the poorly designed roof seams etc. I fixed the rotted over-cab portion myself but never could do anything with the failed rings which oil fouled the plugs within 3,000 miles. After a year and maybe 7K miles (2 complete sets of plugs) I polished it up and traded it for a well used older 28' pull behind. (Got screwed on that one as well. Brakes were no longer available, would have taken replacing both axles to have saved it.) I got $1K trade value on a new 8' truck camper.

So my $8K class C with at least $2K in repairs and remodeling ended up 4 years later as $1K in total ending value...

Unless you can completely rip one apart and fix it yourself, RV's are just money pits in general. Maybe my experiences were the "glass half empty" variety but it seems that rv's and boats are great ways to waste your $$.

Great thread bump
Been looking myself

There is a 19 foot Aventure on ford e350 frame(vehicle in Phoenix)

And a 23 foot ascent

Both listed on the Albuquerque Craigslist

"Unless you can completely rip one apart and fix it yourself, RV's are just money pits in general. Maybe my experiences were the "glass half empty" variety but it seems that rv's and boats are great ways to waste your $$."

"Happiest day of my life is when I bought my boat. The NEXT happiest day was when I SOLD my boat!"

:D

bullfrog said:
^^^Amen, unless you build them yourself!

My Whynter fridge arrived today. With that, I have everything I'd need to do a no build fit out of pretty much anything. I'd rather configure my living space for the specific needs of each trip rather than permanently install everything."Modular" design!

Cheers

MrNoodly said:
Because we 'Mericans love things big. Bigger is better, right? It's not enough to have a 40-foot RV. You need four slideouts 'n' stuff.

Here in the RV park, they are up to six slideouts now. Second place goes to the five slideouts next door to the sixer.
Occupants are drillers working on a mine in the area.

Wells cargo made a few campers. You can tell that they basically took one of their cargo trailers and made a camper out of it.

There is one for sale right now in Lake Havasu. Seems like you would have a good cargo trailer built out for you already.

I like it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/338178034223067/

I really like it! Maybe I should buy it!! Nah. I don’t have anything to pull it with or I would.

Why would you want that trailer? 
Width: 
0' 9" or 9.00"

Condition: new
Year: 2021
Manufacturer: Sundowner Trailers
Model: Trail Blazer 1669
Floor Length: 16' or 192.00"
Width: 0' 9" or 9.00"
Height: 6' or 72.00"
Weight: 3820 lbs
Axle Capacity: 5200 lbs

SLB_SA said:
Why would you want that trailer? 
Width: 
0' 9" or 9.00"

Heck,it would be perfect for just me and the dog. 16 ft is about the max I want to drag...
(I get what yur sayin here...) :D

Cheers!