Why I’m keeping it practical

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
Why I’m keeping it practical. I’ve seen some really beautifully crafted Van builds and I really admire and respect that.  In many ways I would like to have the nice cabinetry and flooring and upholstery and things like that. It looks so nice and inviting.  However I think it would go against my practical personality.  I am happier just keeping it simple and functional. Another reason is, what if someone slammed into me? I’m supposing all of that built-in cabinets and stuff would have to be removed before bodywork repairs could be done. And then there’s insurance claims and that’s a whole other can of worms. 

So I am keeping it simple,where I can remove everything in the van in about 30 minutes. This will also help with periodic cleanings.  The van can get really dirty really fast and there’s nothing better than a freshly cleaned  and mopped van.

My van has a cot with a sleeping bag, a handcranked laundry machine, a plastic-molded fish-cleaning sink, a solar panel system for electricity--and that's about it.

Those InstaGram builds with wood paneling, cabinets, countertops, plush carpeting, etc etc etc are nice and all, but they're not necessary.

Personally, I think it's having what you need to live comfortably, rather than having all the pretty stuff. Plus simple will be a lot lighter in weight and cost much less. Put the money into more solar and batteries.

Of course, if you have nice pretty stuff, then all the youtubers will want come and interview you, so they can go "ooo" and "ahh". Then they can say "for all you gawkers sitting at home watching this video, it's really just like S&B in the outback". Always amusing.

I am minimalist and use a cooler, and the only thing I might like would be a small frig to hold fresh meat and produce longer.

mpruet said:
'tis a gift to be simple...   ;-)

For me, the van is just a place to plug in my laptop, read an ebook, and sleep at night. I'm not in it at all during the day--I am out visiting places and seeing things. I live FROM the van, not IN it.

lenny flank said:
For me, the van is just a place to plug in my laptop, read an ebook, and sleep at night. I'm not in it at all during the day--I am out visiting places and seeing things. I live FROM the van, not IN it.
Agree 100%.  I get really amused when I go to a campground and see a bunch of expensive RVs and never see any person.  Makes me wonder why they didn't just stay home.  After all the TV reception at home would probably be better than in an RV...   ;-)

I was about to say the same thing. People with vans generally consider that they live "out" of their vans, and not "in" them. And definitely, when you run across a "regular" RV, it's very common you only see the occupants for a few minutes now and then, as they're inside watching TV or whatever. Just like being in S&B. So in general, "van life" is not quite the same as "RV life". Plus there is always the Infamous Bucket telling you that you're different, LOL.

my bed will come out/go in in about 10 minutes the solar stuff would take longer.
I like reverse-able solutions.

Latest posts