Why can't we just be nice to each other?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
So we encountered our first bit of "discrimination" if you will.

We have been parked on the side of a relatives house since February. Well we get home from work yesterday and said relative tells us they got a call from a friend that is the city zoning director. They said a neighbor has called and complained about us being parked on the side of the house. She said first they called back when we had the trailer, and now have called about the van, not only called the city, they called the mayor, the city building, the police, and the health department. They told them we have been smoking pot, using the bathroom outside, and we have a tent set up in the backyard, which is enclosed with a privacy fence.

Now from the neighbor we think it is, they are about 50-70 yards across the street, so even if we had been smoking weed which we haven't, theres no way they could have smelled it. As far as using the bathroom outside, sometimes I might go in the back yard and go number 1, where No one can see me. And the tent, well there's no law about having a tent in your yard.

The woman from the city assured told him that we have broken no laws, there are no zoning laws against sleeping in a van. She said they mayor also told him the same. She said she talked to the health department and told them there is absolutely nothing wrong going on at all.

My question is.. what is this guys problem?? Ive never met him. We only have speculation which neighbor it is from a first name, i guess he didn't leave a last name. But what the hell?? Our van is parked on the side of the house looking normal, and all we do is sleep in it?? We aren't causing problems, we keep to ourselves, We don't have a mess around us. What on earth could posses someone to be so freaking negative?? Why can't humans just be nice to each other? I mean if we were clearly causing problems it would make sense, But we aren't. And i'm glad the city has our back, They told us not to even worry, that theyre behind us.

Why do people have to be so miserable?? Its everywhere in the world... how hard is it to be nice?? Imagine the things we could accomplish in the world if everyone was nicer to each other.

Anyway, if anyone else has experienced anything like this i'd like to hear about it

Maybe it is not about you. Maybe the neighbor does not like your relatives and wants to annoy them.

Look at the bright side, if there weren't such dicks around you'd never have learned how normal and nice people can be, even beurocrats in local government... ;)

Sometimes the powerless seek power, people want different things.  Just think of them as a super villain seeking out an arch nemesis to give their bitter existence some sense of meaning.  You can steer clear, now having identified this trait, or you can become that nemesis - a super hero, if you will.  Then you must decide if you will be a Batman, ends justifying the means, or a Superman, artificially limiting your power to adhere to higher standards, knowing it very well may limit your success.

Or, they could be off their meds, in which case under no circumstances should you karate chop them.

AngryVanMan said:
Sometimes the powerless seek power, people want different things.  Just think of them as a super villain seeking out an arch nemesis to give their bitter existence some sense of meaning.  You can steer clear, now having identified this trait, or you can become that nemesis - a super hero, if you will.  Then you must decide if you will be a Batman, ends justifying the means, or a Superman, artificially limiting your power to adhere to higher standards, knowing it very well may limit your success.

Or, they could be off their meds, in which case under no circumstances should you karate chop them.

Best thing i've heard my entire life...... lol.... Day has been made!

Sometimes unhappy people like to make sure others are unhappy. To get your revenge, let them see you laughing while you pee.

The world is full of unhappy people, and some of them might deserve to be that way.

It has been my experience that most people are pretty nice and I refuse to let a few assholes spoil my journey.

This guy has had a little trailer with a pedal boat sitting on the side of his house. His neighbor has a 22ft travel trailer sitting in the driveway. And the neighbors on the other side of him actually do smoke pot, a lot. So I have no idea why the heck hes coming after me? He like to pull his old mid 90's jeep in the middle of his front yard and wash it like its some prize.... so yeah maybe he does have mental issues.

DannyB1954 said:
Sometimes unhappy people like to make sure others are unhappy. To get your revenge, let them see you laughing while you pee.

The world is full of unhappy people, and some of them might deserve to be that way.

:=) LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

WLJosh: listen to what the other posters have said! They are right. It might not even BE About you! Let it slide off your back. You'll feel better not stressing over it!

Even knowing that the city has my back and that I know we haven't done anything wrong, makes me not stress.

I just want people to be happy, maybe even wish happiness and good things on others. I mean unless someone does you wrong, i can't imagine being negative toward them, and in such case, turn the other cheek.

Appreciate you all letting me vent tho.

A lot of folks have warped brain chemistry that makes them seek out trauma and drama in their lives.  If they don't have enough to get their fix they manufacture some.   Very sad.

This may be what is happening to you via the neighbor in question.

Just got home, the health inspector came out with someone from the city, and they didn't have one negative thing to say. They said there wasn't one damn thing wrong with what we are doing.

Also apparently this guy called a complaint one day when I was working with a saw, because it was late in the evening, which I never work with tools past 8:00... so he had no reason to call.. our noise ordinance isn't till 10 I think. But I now remember the cops driving by a few times when I was working on the van, and apparently the cops reported that there was nothing going on at all... So this guy must just be insane. I can't imagine what he would have against my mother.. everyone in town knows my mother and loves her. She is friends with everyone, and never has quarells with anyone. So apparently this guy said that if they don't do anything he will be at counsel meetings, in which the city people told him, he's more than welcome to come, but they have already decided that we haven't done anything wrong. So now i'm gonna look up the counsel meetings, and keep and eye out, the city building is just down the street from me, so i'll drive the van down and attend a meeting. How awkward that would be for him lol

WanderLoveJosh said:
He like to pull his old mid 90's jeep in the middle of his front yard and wash it like its some prize.... so yeah maybe he does have mental issues.

Well that explains it.......I have yet to meet a Jeep owner that doesn't think they are the cats meow.  LOL  Just kidding.

While I realize you said you do #1 where no one can see you, make darn sure that is the case! I know in our state that one can get on the sexual offender's list for having "it" out if someone sees "it" and reports the person, worse yet gets a photo! I am serious.

Snow Gypsy said:
While I realize you said you do #1 where no one can see you, make darn sure that is the case!  I know in our state that one can get on the sexual offender's list for having "it" out if someone sees "it" and reports the person, worse yet gets a photo!  I am serious.

In the san Francisco Bay area on highway 580 there is a pass going east called the Altimont pass. there is a break check area at the top and police used to cite truckers for relieving themselves. It is an exposure citation and I was told that if convicted you had to register as a sex offender. 
Much safer to pee in a bottle, then pour it out.

I just want people to be happy

I suspect you are quite young.  Years ago I learned that we simply lack the capacity to make someone else happy.  It's out of our control.

Thats so crazy that even on your own property you can't piss on a tree, I figured that law was only like in public public.... this world is just too much to handle.. ugh.

gladys.jpg

Gladys Kravitz syndrome................ :dodgy: