who are the Tribe Mechanics?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboVoyager

Reaction score
So im curious about who are the mechanics in the tribe? Im sure they come & go but would be nice to have some idea who is around to do work on rigs.... Is there a list with contact info?

Tim (Turbo Voyager)

The forum seems to be for the very first few steps of getting into vandwelling then most move on with a small handful becoming regulars. If you look at threads from 2-5 years ago its mostly unfamiliar names except for a couple moderators. Which is usually a red flag.

Would be awesome if there were an alternative or even an app.

There is no specific "tribe" if I understand your question, there are groups of friends, and most here are into the free nomadic lifestyle and not to make a living or run a business, and more so to escape every day 9 to 5 grind. That said there are those of us who will do work every now and then if we need to make extra money, or if a fellow nomad is in a bind having issues I can fix, I'll help them out, no charge, I just ask them to pass a favor on to the next person who needs one. Now I am a big fan of trade or barter and will trade my mechanical skills for say upholstery work, or help with my daughter, for instance. I made a living as a professional industrial mechanic for 50 years; I'm retired now. Unless I'm helping a fellow nomad on their rig for the sheer fun of it (and I do this a lot), I'm not much into turning wrenches for a living anymore. Now, there are exceptions to every rule, and I will help women who are distressed or escaping an abusive and dangerous situation because that's just the right thing to do. It's not because I think women helpless either, and I shouldn't have to explain my being raised as a gentleman taught to help those less fortunate than oneself, but nowadays, it seems one does. I know many women just as handy as a man and enjoy many of the same activities, but I know more who have no idea of how to fix their car just like I have no idea how to fix a bad seam on my paints. Hey, everybody has their specialties, right?

If you're having mechanical issues, please describe them in the appropriate forum section, in as much detail as possible, and I promise you'll get more opinions than you will want. Still, there are many ways to solve a problem, and everyone has an opinion. Gleen what you can to better educate yourself so that when you do go to a local mechanic, you know, or were referred to; you're better informed.

Tim the issue is this is a forum for people who are nomadic. That means that the persons who do now and again offer their services to help with builds or more rarely mechanical repairs don't stay put. They move around.

Most forums that offer help do have an ever changing membership except for the individuals who may be hosting the forum and a core group of moderators who volunteer to help keep an eye on things. Many of the people who join only help on a specific project or aspect of a project or even just a quick question. With all the things people have going on in their lives many times once the need is gone they are also gone.

I noticed HOWA donated Hanna the bus to someone that was doing mechanical repairs because they needed additional room for tools and could do the "required maintenance" for it.

Yeah i saw that. good match there. Im sure they also had him in mind for possible jobs too ;)

bullfrog said:
I noticed HOWA donated Hanna the bus to someone that was doing mechanical repairs because they needed additional room for tools and could do the "required maintenance" for it.

That's a good deal because that's how some folks live as nomads, earn as they go, and I've had to do that myself a time or two. When in a bind, I've made money in many different ways, some you'd never think. For instance, did you know that the wooden cable/wire reels that electrical wire and cable come on are worth money if you sell them back to the wire and cable wholesaler? A good 32-inch wooden electrical wire reel will bring as much as $8 if you know-how, and to whom to sell them. New ones come 30 to a pallet and have to be assembled, which is a whole further discussion in its self, and you can make cash doing that or repairing them. The market (a thing of human nature) is a beautiful thing if one knows how to capitalize on it, pun intended.  :cool:

. Cajunwolf said:
There is no specific "tribe" if I understand your question, there are groups of friends, and most here are into the free nomadic lifestyle and not to make a living or run a business, and more so to escape every day 9 to 5 grind. That said there are those of us who will do work every now and then if we need to make extra money, or if a fellow nomad is in a bind having issues I can fix, I'll help them out, no charge, I just ask them to pass a favor on to the next person who needs one. Now I am a big fan of trade or barter and will trade my mechanical skills for say upholstery work, or help with my daughter, for instance. I made a living as a professional industrial mechanic for 50 years; I'm retired now. Unless I'm helping a fellow nomad on their rig for the sheer fun of it (and I do this a lot), I'm not much into turning wrenches for a living anymore. Now, there are exceptions to every rule, and I will help women who are distressed or escaping an abusive and dangerous situation because that's just the right thing to do. It's not because I think women helpless either, and I shouldn't have to explain my being raised as a gentleman taught to help those less fortunate than oneself, but nowadays, it seems one does. I know many women just as handy as a man and enjoy many of the same activities, but I know more who have no idea of how to fix their car just like I have no idea how to fix a bad seam on my paints. Hey, everybody has their specialties, right?

If you're having mechanical issues, please describe them in the appropriate forum section, in as much detail as possible, and I promise you'll get more opinions than you will want. Still, there are many ways to solve a problem, and everyone has an opinion. Gleen what you can to better educate yourself so that when you do go to a local mechanic, you know, or were referred to; you're better informed     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thought it would be helpful to get a convo going about how in general this works for individual (or loose term "tribe" mechanics if there are any) mechanics. I imagine some stick around certain areas too. Good to know theres at least a few around than can help in a real bind. Im a car guy, but have MS so its a prob sometimes to turn a wrench long... Im having an engine put in my 89 Turbo Plymouth Voyager near Tampa but so far my mechanic should be able to handle it but i dont know him & its FL so....who knows how this will go down lol  Did notice theres a nomad emergency facebook page too                                                                  .

Cajunwolf said:
That's a good deal because that's how some folks live as nomads, earn as they go, and I've had to do that myself a time or two. When in a bind, I've made money in many different ways, some you'd never think. For instance, did you know that the wooden cable/wire reels that electrical wire and cable come on are worth money if you sell them back to the wire and cable wholesaler? A good 32-inch wooden electrical wire reel will bring as much as $8 if you know-how, and to whom to sell them. New ones come 30 to a pallet and have to be assembled, which is a whole further discussion in its self, and you can make cash doing that or repairing them. The market (a thing of human nature) is a beautiful thing if one knows how to capitalize on it, pun intended.  :cool:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yep theres all kinds of side hustles....

@TurboVoyager

My stepdaughter/daughter-in-law (it's a long story) lives in Pensacola; I have sailboat friends around Tampa, I can look them up. My oldest son, who lives in Lafayette, La, goes back and forth to Pensacola, Fl., with my grandson so he can spend time with his mother, my stepdaughter again the long story), and he, like me, is an excellent mechanic who does HVAC now. I'm in Houston, Tx, so if you're in a bind anywhere along that area, we can help. Now, this would be for someone stranded, and handicapped in some way that they need help, not someone looking for road service, I hope that this is understood.

I understand the frustration of your disability, I have a friend with MS, advanced, and I suffer from COPD. The same applies to me, I can fix it, but it takes a while to do because I get very breathless doing simple things people take for granted. It takes a long time, for instance, for me to change my tire because I have to rest and let my inefficient damaged lungs re-oxygenate my blood to feed what muscles I have left between each step.

One thing in your favor is a 1989 vehicle is much easier to maintain than a new one with the OBD computers, and wrecking yards still have some old Plymouth Voyager parts hanging around, but most have been crushed, what a shame. I had a 1999 with the 3.8 that had 300,000 plus miles, and with all the rear seats removed, I put a full-sized refrigerator-freezer in that puppy with room to spare. The old boy who bought it from me for $500 bucks is still driving it! My favorite vehicle, my baby, is my 1994 Jeep Cherokee 2-door with the 4.0 six; easy to two behind my RV, but I'll have a hard time parting with my 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee 4x4, I love her too. Same engine, both super easy to maintain for me with my disability, and they're just tough as nails. If you make it to Houston, I'd like to see that old Turbo Voyager; they're rare as hens' teeth. For those of you who don't know what these little vans were, I found this video clip of one that will give you a proper appreciation for what they are. Talk about a sleeper in plain-jane-white, oh my! :exclamation: 

Turbo Dodge Voyager

That is a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine by the way.

If you have vehicle trouble out of your area, you can always start a new post asking for mechanic recommendations for the area you are in.

A list would be difficult to keep current as there are a lot of nomads that travel around and don't actively seek work. If they are in an area where you are they may be willing to step up and help a fellow nomad too.

It is an "it all depends" scenario.

Lowdesertpatrol said:
The forum seems to be for the very first few steps of getting into vandwelling then most move on with a small handful becoming regulars. If you look at threads from 2-5 years ago its mostly unfamiliar names except for a couple moderators. Which is usually a red flag.

Would be awesome if there were an alternative or even an app.
The app thing is an interesting idea. One of my gigs is software/databases, but I might look into what it would take to write an app to where nomad type folks can trade services or help each other in a bind, interesting concept, kudos! :thumbsup:

Suggestions and help welcomed.

Edit: I have multiple domains and unlimited hosting, I can provide webspace for the project.

CajunWolf, can you please explain what was happening and what someone in-the-know would understand from that Turbo Dodge Voyager video?

I found it highly entertaining but I have no idea what was going on or why...

?thanks

Just to chime in, I stopped working on peoples cars because of the liability involved. But as a sidewalk mechanic have offered my 2 cents more than once. Good luck.

MeiraNomadRN said:
CajunWolf, can you please explain what was happening and what someone in-the-know would understand from that Turbo Dodge Voyager video?

I found it highly entertaining but I have no idea what was going on or why...

?thanks

Sure, for car guys, it shows just how much power that particular model of Dodge Voyager had with a small 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine that had a turbocharger. Many people did not know that Dodge built those turbo units, so I was showing a video of one. Your standard Dodge Voyager, even with the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6, doesn't make enough power to spin the wheels like that. A turbocharger is a centrifugal air compressor driven by the waste heat from the exhaust system and forces more air into the combustion chambers. Normally an engine has to "suck" air into the cylinder as the piston goes down on the intake stroke as a syringe sucks in the medicines as you pull back on the plunger, get the visual, but the turbocharger forces the air in and more than it can pull in on its own. The more air and fuel at the right mixture, the more power produced. Have I explained it well enough? I can go into more detail if need be.

Cajunwolf said:
 Have I explained it well enough? I can go into more detail if need be.
 That was an level excellent of detail. It was an insane level of tire spinning, and you’ve provided me a real lightbulb moment about engine function!  Thank you!