What made you happy today?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slynne said:
Comerica Park in Detroit. Tigers lost badly though :)

Sounds like a normal summer for the Cubs.  LOL

I've been to a few parks, but my faves are Fenway and, of course, Wrigley.

Ahhhh, lovely day here in Indianapolis today. I'm sitting in the grass along the canal eating lunch and people-watching, on a nice sunny day. Plans are to leave here on Wednesday, spend a week in Toledo OH, then a week in Erie PA, then on to Allentown PA to visit my sister.

Life is good. :)

I have a friend who has been posting videos from some place in Texas called the Rio Vista Dam and I am happy that I have another good swimming hole to put on my bucket list for when I finally get on the road. :) Man, it looks awesome. I'll bet it is extra awesome when that Texas summer gets hot!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Vista_Dam

What made me happy today was being approved for an apartment rental.

I know, counter-intuitive given our collective preference to live a mobile lifestyle, right? For sure it's a bittersweet moment of transition. When I had money a plenty to go where I wanted to go, when I wanted to go, it was probably the best experience of freedom I've ever had. When I was counting spare change from the van floor and dumping it into the Coinstar machines to buy rice and beans for that last 7-10 days of the month before I got paid again, sometimes having to ask family or friends for a little money to get through to my next paycheck, well... it was near the worst experience of non-freedom I've ever had.

Truth be told, I never had money a plenty. I had months with fewer demands on my money, and a few months with heavy demands where I needed to ask others for help. Overall, my van-dwelling experience over the past year could be summed up as 'when it's good, it's good, but when it ain't, it's awful.' I had way more 'awful' than 'good'. And that comes down to me: I wan't prepared for the stresses of living in a van, with a dog, on disability income, with mental health issues that only became more challenging due to the stresses, which then completed the feedback loop for another go-'round.

The overall trend was that I was spiraling downward. Just enough yummy moments to keep me trying my best, but still trending downward. I mean, it's hard for me to reframe, "I live in a Walmart parking lot, eating rice and beans 25 to 33 percent of the time" as 'freedom'. Again, that's not a lifestyle comment; that's a 'me' comment. I wasn't prepared: not financially, and not emotionally.

Will I try mobile living again? I probably will. I'm not keen on trying to predict the future. But, for now, I have a year to reflect on my experience. At least now, I don't have to worry about being homeless if my van breaks down. I bought it used with 212k miles and it's up to 254k miles. Numerous mechanical problems along the way helped me to know my vehicle better and, frankly, I think it's on its last legs. If I do decide to go mobile again, I'm going to need a bigger financial cushion. I'm also going to need a more reliable vehicle before I'm committed to living in it. Time will tell but for now, I'm going to take a break, lick my wounds, and try to learn well the lessons I need to integrate.

To everyone who's been here for me, whether just as a friendly comment or in times of mechanical crisis... Thank you! You're part of the reason I was able to endure as long as I did without tumbling off the deep end. I'll probably lurk for a while, learning what I can, and watering the seed of a dream to live free again, only under better conditions.

Cheers!

^^^ Richard, so glad you got approved for an apartment, hope it allows you a sense of peace and an opportunity to relax and regroup.

when i turned my key and my battery isolator said "click" for the first time ;) When you finish building something and screw everything back together, that's a nice feeling X)

slynne said:
Toledo can be a really fun city. They have a nice art museum and a nice zoo!

I do like zoos, and try to visit them in every city I stop in.  :)

I am, though, sadly an uncultured barbarian and find little interesting in art museums (unless they have lots of Roman or Egyptian stuff, which I consider to be "history" more than "art").  :)

Richard said:
And that comes down to me: I wan't prepared for the stresses of living in a van, with a dog, on disability income, with mental health issues that only became more challenging due to the stresses, which then completed the feedback loop for another go-'round.

Will I try mobile living again? I probably will. I'm not keen on trying to predict the future.

I'll probably lurk for a while, learning what I can, and watering the seed of a dream to live free again, only under better conditions.
Cheers!

You've got the right attitude, bud. life's goals aren't living as a nomad, or eating prime rib and taters, life's true goals are within. You seem to have a perspective well centered there. Keep after that stronger you wherever you find your self, one step at a time. Experience life deeply...good or bad. It's all fuel for the fire you stoke inside. Sounds to me like you "get it."

It's hard to be human.

Hang in there, brother.

Just trying to give HDR a grin. Some Aussie...

fee996e4-3869-468c-ac7e-2ff5dab0ecdb.jpg

Having a long, and very rich conversation with my wife, and realizing that we are on the same page with so many things. Makes me grateful and delighted.

You are blessed Queen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy moment.
When the cop pulled over the guy who had to go around everyone in the construction zone.
Actually, it made lots of people happy, as we all honked as we passed the guy receiving the ticket. lol

Grateful for everyday, rain, like it has been for 3 days or shine and anything in between. For today, I'm happy that its very possible I can pull a small mini/micro trailer. The 2 companies in the running are Hiker trailer and Runaway, 5x8 basic model & maybe deluxe. Much bigger than the Tacoma pick with regular camper shell I live in now. Then maybe I wont be rejected from place like sugar beet harvest etc... More research and then go look at them in person. Thanks to everyone that gave great advice in the other postings.  More thoughts are welcome if anyone has more to share. :-}

So happy I can still swim like a fish, I get in the water and don't hurt anymore, I can glide and stroke and it feels like magic!!

Queen said:
So happy I can still swim like a fish, I get in the water and don't hurt anymore, I can glide and stroke and it feels like magic!!

Yass Queen!

I spent the boating and swimming and like you, I love how I feel in the water.

slynne said:
Yass Queen!

I spent the boating and swimming and like you, I love how I feel in the water.

Were you out on the Lake?  I love Lake Michigan, all the fun of the ocean, none of the sticky salt!   :D

Going to meet a good friend for lunch and margaritas today, that makes me deliriously happy!! :p

Queen said:
Were you out on the Lake?  I love Lake Michigan, all the fun of the ocean, none of the sticky salt!   :D

I was on a small lake in SE Michigan where my family lives. I love Lake Michigan though. I always say that I could live in Chicago because of that lake. I hope to do some camping this summer somewhere on one of the lakes. Not sure which yet though.