What is the best place to buy used RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless in Canada

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an older model that I can fix up. Problem is most of the used ones in my price range have water damage or corrosion. I saw some nice ones that people brought back from the states but they're asking too much money. I have to go south and find my own and I'm fed up with the cold anyway.

I'm a good enough mechanic only thing that matters is no rust, mold or water damage. I'll probably gut the interior anyway since it's just for me and I want to spray foam and do a light, minimal build. This isn't a project that intimidates me. My plan is to drive south in a beater car with my tools and come back with an RV. I need to know what states are friendly for a Canadian to buy and register a motor vehicle and where I can get some cheap insurance without a credit card.

I have a total budget of about $10,000 for RV plus new tires and other repairs. I'd also be interested in hooking up with a caravan and spending some time in the desert with Bob and the other van hobos.

Cheers

John

I am selling my 1994 Rexhall Aerbus 3300 which is in Colorado. No water leaks, mold or rust but there are some repairs that need to be made. If you are interested let me know and I will send you some pictures.

Thanks Chaos but I want to go somewhere I can look at a lot of different trucks and RV's. Actually thinking of getting a cube truck instead and doing a conversion.

Another  good location, Junction City/Eugene area, Oregon. No sales tax great selection some pretty good folks/dealers. Recommend RVsalesofOregon to start, talk with Craig. Be wise  and not in a hurry.

Tucson, Casa Grande and Yuma. The snowbirds occasionally upgrade their rig or find out its too big for them. Many store them in AZ so no rust

The western part of the states is better to find no rust underneath because they don't have snow like in the east. (Not that a lot of RV's are driven in the snow, but a good rule of thumb). The west is also generally dryer, not as much humidity, so the units there have less chance of mold or other humidity related issues. Water damage can occur for multiple reasons so location would not influence that too much.

So in relation to where, you're probably better off west of the Rockies to mitigate the above issues.

since you're already thinking about doing a full build, you could look at horse/cattle trailers also.  these are typically made from all aluminum above the frame (soo no rust and fewer chances of water leaks), and they're built to last, since they have to be able to carry horses/livestock around all the time.  Bob did a video interview of a guy who did a horse trailer conversion, it was really nice!

I second the GSA auctions (government vehicles). Well maintained and you can get a great deal there! Do your research in advance and remember that you have to pay sales tax on top of the auction price.