What does freedom really mean?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinnTek

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently decided that traveling is the only life meant for me and I am looking at this forum as almost being a oasis for helpful information.

I recently purchased a 2012 Chevrolet Express and I am looking at converting it into a mobile living space however I have no had much luck with insulation ideas as everyone seems to have really expensive ways to go about insulating and not many options for the cheaper guys like me.

So, I guess I am here to learn and share my journey with you guys... Oh right... I'm doing this not out of necessity but because I am tired with living in the same place day after day.

Anyways, any help to get me pointed in the right direction as far as insulation on the cheap, would be awesome.

Thanks, and I hope this forum is as awesome as it sounds.

(PS : I make money off of a blog as well as by tattooing.)

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums. Can you provide a little more info as to what your trying to insulate for? The region your going to be in, extreme cold or extreme heat? If you need to insulate the whole van for a comfortable living quarters or just to stay warm when you are sleeping. Also a budget. I have a GMC Savana cargo that is uninsulated but I have a canopy made out of two blankets and heat with a Mr. Heater. I slept just fine in a 50 degree sleeping bag in 6 degree weather the other week.

I just posted a blog about the science of insulation, you may want to read it:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/understanding-insulation-van/

The cheapest and best insulation is white 4x8 styrofoam sheets. The pink or blue is a little better and a little more expensive.

Your best choice is sheets of Polyiso, but if it's out of your price range then styrofoam is a good second choice.
Bob
Bob

98jeeplover said:
Welcome to the forums. Can you provide a little more info as to what your trying to insulate for? The region your going to be in, extreme cold or extreme heat? If you need to insulate the whole van for a comfortable living quarters or just to stay warm when you are sleeping. Also a budget. I have a GMC Savana cargo that is uninsulated but I have a canopy made out of two blankets and heat with a Mr. Heater. I slept just fine in a 50 degree sleeping bag in 6 degree weather the other week.

The budget is as cheap as possible lol. I am planning on traveling with my girlfriend on disability and seeing the US for a bit.

Anyways, the climate I am looking at is mostly the Midwest and West Coast of the United States.

I am planning on using the Sleeping bag idea as well, just trying to find a good guide on insulating the entirety of the van so that I don't have to worry about freezing.

What I have so far is ....

15 free palettes for extra wood.
(Friend owns a hardware store.)
8 rolls of 25 feet Reflectix.
4 sheets of styrofoam insulation.

I don't have the ability to purchase solar panels yet as that seems to be on the more expensive side of things but I do eventually want to install them. I was thinking of making a makeshift car battery box with like 2 or 4 batteries that I can charge during the day while I'm working or about with my dog.

That's it so far, but I also have a ridiculous amount of bubble wrap as well.

Any suggestions would be awesome, and I will definitely be giving that guide a read.

I was just gonna suggest using styrofoam.
I know a guy who went to the appliance store, and they gave him all the chunks of the stuff he could ever want. He cut them all apart and jigsaw-puzzled 'em into his van. Then he used spray foam to fill in all the gaps and help eliminate squeeks.
It may not be the ideal way to do the job, but for someone on a super tight budget...the cost was right and it seems to work really well too! :D

I wouldn't get too wound up about getting everything perfect before you go. Just get yourselves out there, and the answers will come as you need them!

Good Luck, Safe Travels, and Welcome to the forum!!

Patrick in Oregon

Patrick46 said:
I was just gonna suggest using styrofoam.
I know a guy who went to the appliance store, and they gave him all the chunks of the stuff he could ever want. He cut them all apart and jigsaw-puzzled 'em into his van. Then he used spray foam to fill in all the gaps and help eliminate squeeks.
It may not be the ideal way to do the job, but for someone on a super tight budget...the cost was right and it seems to work really well too! :D

I wouldn't get too wound up about getting everything perfect before you go. Just get yourselves out there, and the answers will come as you need them!

Good Luck, Safe Travels, and Welcome to the forum!!

Patrick in Oregon

Yeah that's kind of how I am going about it. I'm just doing this more as a way to save up money and get away from everyone for a while. Sick of working all the time.

Anyways, I was planning on doing all of the electrical wiring and water stuff later on when I have some money saved up.

The plan is to live in the midwest for a bit out of the van and then eventually move to California / Florida when I have a good bit saved up so this is going to be a permanent living space for a bit. So, I'm trying to think of everything I need to do now, before I make the move.

Aside from insulation, I think what you need to consider is how you will meet your power needs. Some guys have very minimal needs and can get away with less and some guys go the other way.

Also, if you do a search you will see that Dazar Gardain has a great thread about items you may need to get you started.

One Awesome Inch said:
Aside from insulation, I think what you need to consider is how you will meet your power needs. Some guys have very minimal needs and can get away with less and some guys go the other way.

Also, if you do a search you will see that Dazar Gardain has a great thread about items you may need to get you started.

I will definitely have to take a look and at this point and time I won't really have any power needs as I plan on painting as well as using the free wifi at locations that have that as an option.

I do plan on installing a solar panel eventually and making it look like a moon roof.

If you plan to drive an hour or two every day or two, and keep your electrical needs low, I wouldnt worry about solar. The alternator will do your recharging. If you plan to park for longer periods of time and have lots of sunlight, solar may be viable. My suggestion to start with is to pretend you're primitive camping in a hard shelled tent, and see about keeping your electrical needs to a minimum. Then progress from there as you determine what you have to have, and make accommodations for those needs. Don't go hog wild all at once buying things.

Seraphim said:
If you plan to drive an hour or two every day or two, and keep your electrical needs low, I wouldnt worry about solar. The alternator will do your recharging. If you plan to park for longer periods of time and have lots of sunlight, solar may be viable. My suggestion to start with is to pretend you're primitive camping in a hard shelled tent, and see about keeping your electrical needs to a minimum. Then progress from there as you determine what you have to have, and make accommodations for those needs. Don't go hog wild all at once buying things.

That was definitely the goal.

So far the only thing I have actually spent money on was the Reflectix, everything else was kind of just lying around.

I am looking at this solar panel atm :

http://www.amazon.com/WINDYNATION-C..._sbs_lg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DNYHHX5W29EEM93Q3DE

But I have no idea where to begin and I know my electrical needs are almost nothing as I plan on using all portable electronics IE something already charged such as a Laptop or Gameboy.

I actually will have no need for electronics outside of having an active cell phone, the reason I am looking into solar panels is that my girlfriend will be going with me sometimes. So I would like to at least make it a comfortable area to sleep in.

Eventually I would like to get AC though and from what I've read that is kind of a nightmare to keep quiet at night.

For the most part though, I am planning on staying in the mountains / wooded areas of most larger cities if I can find them. Even plan on staying at whatever free RV sites I can find.

Bobs posting on insulation is great. Search around online through this forum, Youtube and even do a Google image search for interior layouts for vandwellers to get as many ideas as to what you THINK you need and can afford. It changes every day. If your not in a great hurry to leave out in the van, take it out for a night, weekend or week if you can to start to see what works for you prior to making installations that are hard to redo at a later date while on the road. Mine was strictly a cargo van with an air mattress on the floor and a work bench with sterilite storage bins under it all ratchet strapped to the wall for week long work trips. I have now live in it full time for 6 months. Once the sleeping bag and mattress where put away nobody could tell it was anything but a work van and I could take everything out in 5 minutes returning it to an empty, stock van. I've spent about 6 months straight in it making only a temporary bed platform at the wheel wells. I'm going to start doing a build in the spring using (LUISAFERNANDES 2014 Chevy Express 2500 van build) under VANS on this site as a template for mine. He's done a fantastic job and my plans had already mimicked his. Good luck and do as much research as you can.

akrvbob said:
I just did a post on insulation, you may want to check it out:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/understanding-insulation-van/

Styrofoam is a much better choice. Can you return or exchange the Reflectix?
Bob

Yeah I took that into mind with my insulation. I have the reflectix 1 1/4 inch away from the actual wall of the vehicle and I am going to use styrofoam with a hefty layer of bubble wrap for vapor lock.