What do you think of this van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gapper2 said:
So last Sept. I ordered an ARB air locker kit and installed it myself for approx $1300.  And it is only engaged by a flip of a switch and not used that often in my case.

A locker is on my short list of extras to get eventually. The regular length will help and they now have traction control but I've heard it works even better with a locker.

masterplumber said:
Hey Bob, I kind of thought you were leaning toward a 4x4 pickup with a Belair shell? 

So I just had to decide what was my highest priority because it was one or the other, going further back or more comfort and space and finally comfort and space won because I also get better MPG and more reliability.

If I put in a locker I get back a lot of what I lose with 2wd. Still no low range, but decent traction.

DannyB1954 said:
I should have also added that you will need to downshift the 4.8 more just to get in the area it makes torque.
I recently bought a 4,500lb trailer. My van with a 318 struggled to get it from Las Vegas to Pahrump. Tomorrow I am driving a considerable ways to pick up a 360 Cu" motor to put in the van. Sure gas milage may take a hit, but I really hate to whine an engine out just so that I can go up a small grade at 45 mph.

Having a 6 speed will allow it to find it's own gear and this one allows you to select the gear.

That's a long steep hill out of Vegas I think you'll find that 360 struggles nearly as hard pulling your trailer over that hill.

I'll never own a 4500 pound trailer!

You're an expert at this stuff, so it will be fun to see how you outfit your new van, just plug-n-play the old set up or tweak some new things into the mix.

akrvbob said:
So I just had to decide what was my highest priority because it was one or the other, going further back or more comfort and space and finally comfort and space won because I also get better MPG and more reliability.

If I put in a locker I get back a lot of what I lose with 2wd. Still no low range, but decent traction.

And they are making winch bumpers for vans these days . . .

http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chevy-van-2003-2013/front-bumper/

http://www.buckstopinc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

I had to have my mechanic drive with me to show me how to use the manual shift selector thing. Put it in M, then the digital display shows the RPMs and M3 (third gear), M2 (2nd gear) ect. I have to get used to mine, but it will be nice for controlling speed coming down a mountain road.

I notice this van has barn doors.  Good idea; friends don't let friends buy vans with sliding doors !

Nice looking van but I would be concerned about the two doors out of alignment and the number of months on the lot. I'd take it to a frame shop for an inspection. Things out of alignment make me think twisted or tweaked frame.

Looks great with a good price. But...you still have to bend over in the van. Why not get one that you can stand in? Believe me, as the years go by I so appreciate being able to stand up straight all the time. Might cost a bit more, but many of the new vans (Ford Transit, RAM Promaster, and Sprinter) are coming on to the market now. Good luck on your purchase.

It could be just the light and that door being askew, but the left barn door looks like different paint than the rest of the van.
That was the right side view image.

I just checked the view from 5 o'clock and that door is a bluer white than the rest of the van.

That door has been replaced.

Why would only that door need replacing on a 16K mileage van?

Possibly door was open and something hit just that the door. That would put the mounts out of whack and ruin the door.

There is a story there.

akrvbob said:
Having a 6 speed will allow it to find it's own gear and this one allows you to select the gear.

That's a long steep hill out of Vegas I think you'll find that 360 struggles nearly as hard pulling your trailer over that hill.

I'll never own a 4500 pound trailer!

I knew the hill on 160 would be a problem so I took the northern route via 95. It still seemed like uphill all the way. 
Day before yesterday I drove from Pahrump to Prescott and back to pick up the engine., (long day). Yesterday I tore it down. It will need a rebuild. For being a mechanic I sure seem to buy a lot of junk.

You have always recommended the extended version Bob. I can guess why you would buy a standard length model, is there a specific reason? I am among those would want to see the build out.

akrvbob said:

The 1st gear that you are used to in your current van is not as low as the low in the 6L90e six speed trans in the van you are looking at.  I'll be surprised if you don't notice how much lower the first gear is in the six speed.

I'd like to see you in a one ton van as they have larger rear brakes and somewhat stiffer suspensions so they handle better.  The 2015 three quarter ton Express that I rented in 2015 wallowed in turns and it had less than 10k miles on it.  The 2012 one ton Savana that I bought later in 2015 had about 52k miles on it and with it's much more worn stock shocks it handled much better.   With it now equipped with the Bilstein shocks, Roadmaster Active Rear Suspension and Michelin LTX MS2 tires it is a joy to drive.

I'm also pretty sure that they have better cooling for the engine and trans also in the one ton units.

I believe the six speed tranny does a gread job in auto.  But at times I like to use the manual function to keep the rpms up.  Mine has tow package and came with oil and tranny cooler. It is a 3/4 ton 2500.  Four wheel disc brakes and will stop on a dime.

I followed FALCON's build thread (thanks FALCON) and had never even seen the inside of a rear end.  But I said to myself "if this young whippersnapper can do it,  I'll give her a try.  If you dicide to do it yourself,  I've got several tips that are not in the manuals or on youtube.

Good luck on your decision.

George

Bob I E-mailed you and sent you a PM. so I went and looked at the van. everybody that said something was funny with the rear side door, you where right. the door has been replaced. it has been repainted and does not shut like it should. the body panel right behind that door has been welded on. also the roof has been repainted as there is overspray on the front windshield gasket on both sides. other than that the van is really clean. however I would pass on this one, they do have 2 more of the exact same van and the other one I looked at looks real good. I could not drive them because they are packed into a back lot and it would take a couple of hours to get them out. Bob give me a call and I can fill you in. highdesertranger

Just my suspicious mind: That's a good price, it looks pretty good, the mileage is low, but....... why did U-Haul sell it?

West Coast prices are higher than many other places, but looking here on Craigslist, I'm seeing the same kind of 'deals': 2014-2015 Savanas, with about 15,000-20,000 miles. for about $20,000.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=savana

BUT, looking for a Chevy 2500 van in the same listings, the mileage is much higher, and so are the prices. This makes me uneasy.

So...... what's going on with the Savanas??? Cheap junk? Built-in problems? Something new that didn't work out, and now they're unloading them because they keep needing repairs?

I would try to find an honest person who knows them and find out what's happening here.

I can only comment on UHaul.
Always used them without mercy!
( Sound systems are HEAVY ! )
I'd guess other renters are equally unconcerned about abuse.

davidsan said:
Looks great with a good price.  But...you still have to bend over in the van. Why not get one that you can stand in?  Believe me, as the years go by I so appreciate being able to stand up straight all the time.  Might cost a bit more, but many of the new vans (Ford Transit, RAM Promaster, and Sprinter) are coming on to the market now.  Good luck on your purchase.

Imo , the GMC & Chevrolet vans are the best and have been for quite a while , and I'm talking the
Express vans and also the older G series Chevrolet vans too . They were very good and they keep 
making them better .
When I get a new one it will be a Chevrolet Express and will probably have a 5.3L engine and 6 speed .
I went and looked at a Ford Transit hightop the other day and my 1996 Chevrolet 
conversion van with hightop was sitting next to it , my van looked like a corvette compared
to that transit , no joke , I've never noticed how sleek & sporty my van looked until I parked it next to that Transit.
I might go back and park my van next to the Transit and take a picture .

roof and door damage? thats a might t bone or tree falling on it,definite pass