What do you think of this van? It's a Ford but....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the pregnant beetle van was pretty cool looking
for two people the bus might be the better way to go, money pernmiting

mayble said:
The psychological factor of having the high top is a different story.  If you feel cramped in a low-top, even a few inches can make a big difference in how a space feels.  It's like windows vs no windows - some like a cozy den, others like an open feel.  Different strokes.

Yes! We currently have a Chevy minivan and DH can not even entertain the thought of using it as a camper van because of the cramped-feeling. And probably the reason when we went inside a standard Chevy cargo van a couple weeks ago, we were amazed how roomy it felt. 

Those few inches of height made a world of difference to us b/c we were so used to the minivan.

ArtW said:
for two people the bus might be the better way to go, money pernmiting

DH would love to convert a bus (he prefers a nice size class B, actually so the work is done) but I'm the one who is putting the foot down on the size. I don't like driving big rigs (I do most of the driving) and want to be able to park in tight spaces anywhere. I'm such a wuss that way.

Those little yellow buses are fantastic for converting.

Nearly $7K for the white Ford is a bit high (for my liking).

CautionToTheWind said:
Those little yellow buses are fantastic for converting.

Nearly $7K for the white Ford is a bit high (for my liking).

I work at a facility that leases about 50 of those small school buses every season. 
They vary from comfy tight and good running to worn out POS that should be scrapped! 
The mileage they run these units up to is frightening as well, multiple 100's of Thousands! 

Most of the units I've seen I'd never consider owning. To many drivers for too many years driving too many miles and too much body damage. Way too much mechanical wear and failure potential. 
The fuel mileage is horrible as well. 

You only have a drivers seat and a huge people door. If you travel with another person where do they sit? Behind the driver somewhere and shout at each other all day? 
No, I enjoy my Wife and want to be seated next to her so we can converse and share the journey, not feel like a limo driver sitting by myself. 

A 4.2 V6?!? That's power heaven! I'm still being pushed around by a 2.1 putting out a whopping 90 hp VW! Sure, I top out the passes in the Rockies a bit slow, but what's the hurry? I'm on vacation. 
I drive aware of this power/speed limitation and am very courteous to those following me, allowing them to pass me at every safe opportunity. 
There is a relaxation from not needing to lead the pack while driving! 

"Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way"
I both Follow and get out of the way. Not very "Jersey" like I know but it works for me. 
I often find that I'm by myself on the highways once everybody in a pack passes me! ?

Good luck on your search! 
Look for an older conversion Van maybe? A moderately raised top with interior space to use. 

My VW will probably be replaced by my Dodge at some point, there are features that I need in a travel Van that the VW simply cannot provide. 

Dave

I agree the Triton and v-10 had issues.
I had both a 6 cyl. and a v-8. I personally like the v-8 best. You start adding weight to a 6 cyl. van and you will suffer both in gas mileage and power.

Yep.....and reading how high the rpms have to get on the E150's with 4.2Lv6 before going into overdrive was the final kicker for us. The way we plan to be driving it up elevations and interstate highways made us realize that we'd be prematurely killing the thing.

djkeev said:
"Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way"
I both Follow and get out of the way. Not very "Jersey" like I know but it works for me. 
I often find that I'm by myself on the highways once everybody in a pack passes me! ?

Ha! Darn tootin' that is not very Jersey. Even when driving in the slow lane on the Parkway, you will get the hairy eyeball by those who have to move out of the lane to pass you. 

It's certainly a different world out here (I'm a transplant from rural, central PA so the "Jersey" way was quite a difference)