What do you think of this van? It's a Ford but....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/6054500295.html

I noticed it's been available for a while and was tempted to make the 2+hr drive to see it.

Here's some background on our expected use of the van----

• We will not be doing heavy towing with it and were going to keep the addition of any conversion items as light as possible because we care more for fuel efficiency. (didn't think we'd be taxing the v6 as much hence avoiding the gasket and spark plug problems?? is this correct??)
  • Next 2 years would be doing short trips from 2 days-2 weeks along the east coast periodically. Then, when becoming empty nesters, exploring the U.S. for however long it takes. We figured this will help us find out if permanent nomading is for us.
  • In the meantime, we want the van to double as a cargo van since we are doing extensive home remodeling in the next 2 years getting our house ready for selling.

What I like about this van posted:

• Sliding windows!
  • Low mileage!
  • The undercarriage looks immaculate for that year. I see no rust whatsoever from the pictures.
What I am questioning:
  • The infamous Ford engine and reliability issues (although in my research, I am finding lots of people on forums who haven't had any problems with their 4.2's....but those are F150 owners)
  • The 4.2L v6 has an additional reputation for sluggishness. Even with just minimum camping/living gear for our U.S. trip and if we decide to add a high top later, will we regret it.
Does anyone have any opinions on this? I'd love hear them all.

I thought the issues were with the V8 (specifically Triton) and V10 engines

I thought the tritons have the OEM spark plug breaking problems (not my worry on this one). I'm not so sure if the 2002 4.2L have the thread and gasket problems.

IIRC it was the 5.4 and 10 cyl that either spit out plugs or break them off (depending on year) there was also a time whe, 5.4 cam phasers (vvt) were a very expensive problem
The 4.2 I don't recall hearing anything bad except they're not as torquey as the old 4.9 straight six
I am far from a Ford expert though, I am GM biased

I had a '92 e-150 conversion van that I bought new in '93 with 3500 miles on it. Long story, and the inexpensive conversion was done by a local conversion company in Santa Rosa CA but it started out as a plain white commercial van with the 300 six/E4OD in it.

The long and short of it was that we towed our 4500 lb sailboat with it from NoCal to San Diego, carted our kids around in it for nearly five years, took ALL kinds of trips in it... towed a camper 'cross-country with it to the Midwest and back, and it remains one of the few cars/truck/vans I regret selling. I liked it well enough that it was a no brainer buying my '95 B-van in Feb of 2015.

This one looks like a good buy from what I can see. I'm not crazy about the sliding side door... but buying used, sometimes you get what you get.

I have a 03 4.2, 67K, with no issues.

I'm curious why no pics of the inside? pics of the front seats only and thats it.

LMTLMT said:

I'm curious why no pics of the inside?  pics of the front seats only and thats it.

There are interior shots on the website that the CL ad links to.  It's a gutted interior.

Oh, thank gawd about the v6! I feel so much better about this vehicle from reading your posts.

I'm with you @hepcat about the sliding door. Forgot to mention that on my list of "cons". DH and I were pretty set on finding barn doors but after sharing with him all your info, decided it may be worth to compromise.

Another question I had was the suspension on these cargo vans....I have a 99 Wrangler so am used to rough rides and don't mind it at all short distance (like 200 miles in a clip) but we both love our Chevy minivan during long distance traveling. How comfortable are these cargo vans to drive long-distance?

I just ran a carfax now and found that there were 4 owners. Original owner from AZ in 02 (3yrs).....2nd owner from AZ late in 04 at 2,531 (6 months).....3rd owner from PA in 05 at 3,100 (9 months)....4th owner from PA the rest of the time (10 yrs for 43K mil)

Do you think this a concern? I guess it's a good sign that the last owner had it 10yrs and that s/he was just itching to get a new vehicle and that the ownership wasn't the other way around (last 3 owners flipping it within 1000 miles). 

The other concern we saw from carfax is that the ball joints were replaced just last year at around 40K miles. DH is now looking up why they gave out prematurely.

Stock Ford van ball joints don't have grease zircs, and they begin creaking and wearing quickly with age, mileage notwithstanding. I had to have them replaced on my '95 e-250 at about 35k miles in November of '16. Squeaking ball joints at 35k miles is apparently a value-added "feature" that Ford provides free of charge! ;)

I wouldn't worry about the number of owners since the last one had it ten years. And you're right that'd be more troublesome of the last three owners only had the van a few months.

My four Ford e-chassis vehicles (one '92 e-150, one '94 e-350 B-van, one '01 e-450 Class C, and my current '95 e-250 B-van) have all been the nicest riding 'cars' I've ever owned (save maybe a '92 Lincoln Continental with air ride suspension.) I prefer to drive my B-van for long-distance trips because it's so comfortable. Just make sure you install the necessary anti-sway bars and new shocks.

@hepcat, the anti-sway bars are new to us. I have read about the 15 passenger van flipping problem but can you share why they are good/needed for a gutted non-extended cargo van?

That's an added expense we weren't counting on.

Sure.  Under severe conditions, the suspension can allow the body to move over the axle... particularly in the rear (and somehow I manage to drive in severe conditions more than most folks, apparently.)  They exhibit a fair amount of body sway during emergency lane changes and hard turns.  A stiff side wind can cause "rear-axle steering" which moves the body over the axle laterally and causes the need for constant input on the steering wheel. It's not very comfortable driving. I had a 2000 Excursion that exhibited that when towing our 34' Airstream. It was quite unsettling. Anyway, the anti sway bars eliminate most if not all of that behavior.

They come stock with a 1" anti-sway bar on the front, but nothing on the back.  On a standard cargo van, the stock front bar is fine, but I'd suggest adding a rear for added handling stability.

On a high-top B-van like mine or the '94 Airstream B-190 I had that was even worse because the high top was three times the weight of what I have now, you need the heaviest anti-sway bars you can get on both the front and back because of the raised center of gravity.  With the standard cargo van, though, you won't find it AS necessary, but it's still desirable. At least that's my opinion. YMMV.

They're not a big investment though...  the one for that van is about $215 at SD Truck Springs.

Thanks so much @hepcat! There is so much to learn. Fortunately, DH can hopefully install.

We are liking this van more and more. I kinda had my heart set on the hightop and a backseat that turn to a bed to save us some upfront work before using it as a camper, but the more we look at this van, the more we think it is a very good deal. (especially if we can get that price down). Can't drive out to see it until Friday so hopefully it is still there. 

Suggested retail on kbb is $6637 and fair purchase price is $6137 so we are going to try to get them to come down to $6000 if still there. It has been listed for over one month so maybe I should go lower.

patience young padawan,we only just begun

someone went from conversion van to passenger van  in like a day

the only thing good about the ford is low miles,a window and looks in real good shape,nothing else was on your list,we can do better

if going modern basic van the chevy express/gmc savana is the way to go,proven,ls engine right there at best engine ever,they made thousands so replacement parts are there,there is a huge selection and thus some good deals
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6055284535.html
there are so many on the market that the problem is digging through them all for the gem

lets see if i can dh into more work then he planed for,diesel bus
00z0z_aEZJY0QBcn8_600x450.jpg

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6054635363.html

this is just plan awesome here,all the others i have seen have the flip up rear door,this has swing doors
00J0J_8gRV7TAiHeL_600x450.jpg

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6054009599.html

anytime you can just check out and get a feel for a van close by,do it
hire a mech to do an inspection

patience,you will know it when you see it

If it's been driven on PA roads for the last 10 years, it's been exposed to road salt for 10 winters.  Just make sure you check the underneath thoroughly for rust.  You're going to find some surface rust, for sure.  As long as it's not deep rust, which can weaken the frame or eat away suspension parts.

Gary68 said:
patience young padawan,we only just begun

someone went from conversion van to passenger van  in like a day

the only thing good about the ford is low miles,a window and looks in real good shape,nothing else was on your list,we can do better

anytime you can just check out and get a feel for a van close by,do it
hire a mech to do an inspection

patience,you will know it when you see it

Gary offers good counsel here.  If you really want a high-top... go and inspect this one, by all means...  but if it doesn't 'feel' right, there will be another along tomorrow that will meet your expectations.  Actually, look at every van that comes along.  That'll get you to the point that you'll know "THE" van when you see it.   I can attest to the value of a high top when using it for "dwelling." Having had both,  I wouldn't buy a camper van without a high top.  But, I'm 6'5" tall, too.

Good luck!

LMTLMT said:

I'm so glad to run into someone that currently has it. Is this your camper conversion and if so, how much stuff do you have inside it? How does it do up mountains? 

I did some late night research and got scared off by the end of this thread and ESPECIALLY this discussion between some Motorcross dudes talking about hauling their equipment. In a nutshell, many owners of the 4.2 v6 told people that the engine can't handle cargo weight well. (most notably, when driving up elevation).

I dread the thought of buying a vehicle that can't handle the weight and forces us to restrict our choices in how we modify the inside. (even tho for now our needs are light, they may change in the future)

@Gary68, i can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice but I hope the high heaven you were joshing me about that black bubble vehicle because that is one butt-ugly rig! I'm much too vain to be seen in something like looks like a pregnant beetle (<--this).

Seriously tho...your help in searching in invaluable. 

Yeah, we've been vacillating quite a bit about the the hightop and have spared you the gory details. We go from.....DH thinks it would be easier for him to work under the belly of a standard size van instead of working around the fancy runners on a HT CV that, more often than not, are connected directly to the CV body and can't be disconnected....to....we are getting too old (and DH has some physical limitations) to walk around stooped over if forced by weather to be inside van for long......to .... holy crap, there is absolutely no HT CVs newer than 2003 available here within our price range but sure are enough newer standard size vans....to... but, darn,I  love the built in storage space in a HT.....and you get the picture.

Needless to say, at the end of the day, I"m 5'5" and DH 5'8" so the standard van's height is very doable for us therefore we'd promptly sacrifice the HT for a newer/lower mileage vehicle if we must. Also, I'd also rather have window than HT, if I had to choose.

@OptimisticParanoid  Thanks for the warning.. The picture of the undercarriage of this Ford was one of the highlights for us. It seemed nearly spotless for a 2002!

As for the Ford....I just don't like what I'm hearing about the power of the 4.2 v6. Forgot to mention that I found a post here on CRVL from an ex-Ford technician saying to stay away from the 4.2 but damn.....46K miles (that are 100% verifiable via carfax) and body in perfect condition and windows I love......so tempting.

Sigh.......... I'm trying to be patient @Gary68.

PineyCruisin said:
....to....we are getting too old (and DH has some physical limitations) to walk around stooped over if forced by weather to be inside van for long......to ....

Keep in mind you won't be walking far - there's nowhere to go :)
99% of your time in the van will be sitting.  You'll stand/stoop to move from one seat to another, but that's about it.  If you want to stretch your legs (or anything else), you'll likely be going outside to do it.
If there are two of you, moving around each other will be the challenge and that's determined by floor space rather than height.
The psychological factor of having the high top is a different story. If you feel cramped in a low-top, even a few inches can make a big difference in how a space feels. It's like windows vs no windows - some like a cozy den, others like an open feel. Different strokes.

PineyCruisin said:
I'm so glad to run into someone that currently has it. Is this your camper conversion and if so, how much stuff do you have inside it? How does it do up mountains? 

I did some late night research and got scared off by the end of this thread and ESPECIALLY this discussion between some Motorcross dudes talking about hauling their equipment. In a nutshell, many owners of the 4.2 v6 told people that the engine can't handle cargo weight well. (most notably, when driving up elevation).

I dread the thought of buying a vehicle that can't handle the weight and forces us to restrict our choices in how we modify the inside. (even tho for now our needs are light, they may change in the future)

My van is light.  I don't have much stuff inside.  I'm not full-time.  No problem in mountainous roads.  I don't push it to the max, I mainly stay around 65-70pmh.  I'm more into mpg as its my biggest expense when I road trip.  If you will have lots of custom builds inside, bed, cabinets, kitchen, solar, full-time stuff and etc, that will increase your load and probably 3/4 or 1 ton with a V8.  I have had good experience with my previous Chevy 6.0 V8 Vortex 3/4 Ton.