What do you think of this van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a newer van and I am considering buying this one. It's a lot of money, but I set-aside the cash from a Workmans comp settlement 5 years ago just for it. This year I turn 62 and I think this van could be the last one I ever buy, so I want a nearly new one.  I should easily get 20 years out of it which will make me 82. 

It's a 2014 GMC Savanah 2500 cargo van with 16,163 miles. U-Haul owned it and put 8000 miles on it per year for two years and then sold it. It will have a fully transferable powertrain warranty for 5 years or 100,000 miles, almost 3 years and 80,000 miles left on the warranty. 4.8 liter and 6 speed tranny.

Price is $18,500 which is a third off the new price. After only two years and very low miles, hat seems like a great price to me and they say they do not negotiate.

What do you think?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...adius=500&makeCode1=GMC&modelCode1=GMCSAV2500

My old van will be for sale. Mechanically it's very sound (I have no worries about the running gear) but has lots of little nagging problems. I just put brand new tires on it so I want the $600 for the tires and $400 for salvage, $1000 total and someone will have a usable home for a long time to come. 

But, that will be another thread in a month so don't ask here.

Is it normal for side barn doors to close unevenly? it looks like the front and rear are at different 'depths' in the doorway

Good eye ArtW. The left swing-out door definitely seems a different shade of white. Maybe a repair?

But, if the side swing-out doors are in good working order, they're better than the problematic sliding door. Otherwise, it looks really clean. Would this be a case where you'd want to take it to a mechanic to check out?

The only other feature I've heard you talk about that this van doesn't include is 4x4. But, I expect that must not be a deal breaker.

Also, I'm in SoCal right now. So, if you need a ride or driver while I'm here, let me know.

I'd negotiate hard on this. If it was owned by U-haul, THEN a dealer got it, I'd wager they bought at auction for half of what they want for it.

Always be willing to walk away from the deal if it doesn't feel good.

According to the carfax there's no history of accident, and it passed emissions and safety inspections in August in California. We don't have inspections where I live, would this be indicative of a quality vehicle?

And, Bob, it's pretty!

the dealer bought it at action so hit them low,being a d i would start at like 12-13 cash and keep being a d and saying cash,work them,add warranties,maintenance etc.

"if you put some bf goodrich all terrains on it i will give you 15" "add in new shocks too" work them,

the 4.8/5.3 ls/lm engines have earned their stripes,probably around 20mpg loaded and good power

Certainly a nice looking vehicle.  I'm a little surprised it's been on their lot since last August, I would have thought a nice van like this would have moved quickly, unless they were asking too much money for it and have recently lowered the price.  I think you'll like the 6 speed transmission, quite an improvement over what you're used to.

this is one of the problems with Carfax. if the door was damaged and fixed in house at U-Haul it would NOT show up on the report. it's important that everyone should understand this. many used car dealers fix cars this way. unless a insurance claim was filed CarFax would have no idea that there was ever a problem.

now to the van it looks really clean. its not far from me, if you want me to go over and take a look at it I will. highdesertranger

I wondered about that, I saw a car on the lot that belonged to a friend, I KNOW when she owned it had a door dent... nothing on the carfax.  Good to know.

That is a nice looking van.  

Does it only come in RTR white?  ;)

If you have the means, then there is no reason not to go for it.  Other similar units I have looked up are $3 to $4K higher

Cash will always make a difference, as they have to sell the loan paperwork off site. 

As for the door, I cant tell if it is a trick of the light, but that is a small detail. 

IMHO, two thumbs up.

Hi Bob,
  I'm new here but I've been "silently observing" your website and forum for quite some time.  I bought a 2012 gmc savana 2500 12 seat passenger van last April with approx 10500 miles on it.  It has the 6.0 V8 and six speed tranny.  I love mine.  Best driving vehicle I've ever owned.  I paid approx 17500.
  One thing that concerned me before the purchase was how computer controlled todays cars and trucks are.  But I figure that I'm gonna wear out before the van does. :D   That's OK because I plan sliding into home plate with a great big smile on my face.

You will find a few aggravating things with the van if you do your own maintenance like I do.  Special "relearn tool" needed after rotating tires.  A shop will have the tool if you let them do it.

The offset on the side doors I think is normal.  Mine has that also.

I didn't see any mention of towing or hitch, you never know what you might have to tow.

The fact they won't budge on price is perhaps the reason for being available for so long; 4 1/2 months.

In my recent research (resource in las vegas), vans like that with more miles and older are getting around $21-23K included with interior metal shelving.

Negotiate a set of terrain tires in the deal and jump down in price. Letting them know it's collecting dust on the lot.

Good luck  :)

I would do more research on towing. I believe you already sold the trailer, but someday you may want another, maybe even a larger one than what you had. Googling says the 5.3 would be better for you. Having more transmission speeds will help you get up a hill, but not very fast.

Here are the specs I found for the two chevy motors.
4.8L 270hp and torque is 285lb-ft at 4,000 rpm
5.3L 285hp and torque is 325lb-ft at 2,800 rpm

You will have to rev the 4.8 higher and still get a little less torque. 40 'lb of torque may make the difference out West

I should have also added that you will need to downshift the 4.8 more just to get in the area it makes torque.
I recently bought a 4,500lb trailer. My van with a 318 struggled to get it from Las Vegas to Pahrump. Tomorrow I am driving a considerable ways to pick up a 360 Cu" motor to put in the van. Sure gas milage may take a hit, but I really hate to whine an engine out just so that I can go up a small grade at 45 mph.

Well, it's a Chevy, it's white, it has barn doors! What's not to like?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey Bob, I kind of thought you were leaning toward a 4x4 pickup with a Belair shell? I know you've spent considerable time thinking about what your next home will be though, so a van must be it. I do think this one is a good price and if it will do all you want it to for years to come I'd jump on it. I'd still try and talk them down, or get some things added at no cost - like tires, hitch if needed, coupon for a free oil change and a place of your choice - those sort of things. I'd also jump on HDRs offer to look at it - I know you know what you're looking at, but an extra set of qualified eyes is always a good thing.

It's funny how when you get to a certain age you think - this will probably be the last vehicle I buy. I'm pretty sure the truck I bought in September will at least be my last work truck - and could very well be my last 4 wheeled vehicle. Well - it's 6 wheeled since it's a dually, but you get the idea ; )

Bob I know from your posts in the past that you like to go that extra mile off road.

Well I knew that I wanted that capability also.  So last Sept. I ordered an ARB air locker kit and installed it myself for approx $1300.  And it is only engaged by a flip of a switch and not used that often in my case.  But I have it.

George

highdesertranger said:
now to the van it looks really clean.  its not far from me,  if you want me to go over and take a look at it I will.  highdesertranger

That would be great! If you would be willing I would love that and even pay your gas and buy you lunch next time I see you!

Suanne said:
The only other feature I've heard you talk about that this van doesn't include is 4x4.  But, I expect that must not be a deal breaker.

Also, I'm in SoCal right now.  So, if you need a ride or driver while I'm here, let me know.

Thanks so much Suanne, I may take you up on that! 

You can't get everything you want and ultimately, it seems you just can't beat a basic van for doing nearly everything reasonably well!