Help choosing between passenger and cargo van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gideon33w said:
Glad my sticky on full size vans was helpful. Don't buy a Dodge. If I was given one I'd sell it and buy something else. Transmission and suspension issues will cost you in the long run.
I lean towards cargo vans and low tops but interior height can be a deal-breaker for some people. If you're worried about temp extremes window vans will be a pain in the butt.
Honestly ... I don't like either. You want a Chevy with the 5.7 so that when you switch to a trailer you can tow uphill in elevation without issues. The 305 is a bit of a dog.
There's no shortage of vans on Phoenix craigslist and unless you're in a rush just wait for the right one to pop up at the right price. You'll be happier.

C'mon Gid, tell us what you really think! :D  Seriously though, thank you for the guidance!  I have next to zero mechanical ability and have a tremendous respect for folks like you who do.

I very much appreciate everyone’s input, especially on security, reliability, insulation concerns (as I do enjoy visits to the mountains year round).   CRVL is consistently my favorite resource, because of members like you that share your knowledge.

Gapper2 – thanks for sharing your experience with the early stages of your build.  Like you, the ability to comfortably tow a trailer is an important consideration for me.  Hopefully a good layer of insulation addresses the noise issue with the pretty stuff removed!  And reliability is paramount for me as a solo traveler.  

And no worries about wrench throwing here – a cargo van was my first choice (relatively blank slate) until I saw the extra headroom in some of the higher top conversion vans.  I realize both styles have their pros and cons and for all of us it’s a matter of assessing our needs, wants, and priorities.  That’s why I seek the ideas and input from the folks here.

An update on the two vans in my original post:  
  • Chevy cargo van - ruled it out without seeing it, based on the questionable title history and the input on the 305 motor. 
  • Dodge conversion - was still a consideration, expecting that my mechanic would catch whether the suspension and other issues are apparent in this particular unit.  Its current owners seem reluctant to allow me to have it checked out when I mentioned it on the phone; possible language barrier that may be better addressed in person at a second visit.  If not, then it’s a no go for me – no way would I consider spending that kind of money on a vehicle of this age without Dr. Ralph’s giving it a clean bill of health.  
I’m grateful to not be in a rush situation and I can take the time to research until “my van” comes along.  Because it seems the good ones get snatched up quickly, I want to be ready.  Thank you for any additional input as my search continues.

Becca, you are in the Phoenix area, correct?  If so, there's another you may want to look at:

Posted Jun 17, listed on Phoenix CL, keywords "conversion van", no filters.
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]1995 GMC Starcraft Conversion Van all leatherf - $2500 (Deer Valley)  [/font][/font][/size]

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Picts and description look good, miles a bit high but get it checked.[/font][/font][/size]

becca said:
C'mon Gid, tell us what you really think! :D   Seriously though, thank you for the guidance!  I have next to zero mechanical ability and have a tremendous respect for folks like you who do.

Haha. I'm a bit opinionated but there's good cause ;-)

Just found my buddy an 01 Chevy 15 passenger van in Tucson for his business and gave it a tune up. 157k miles, 5.7, reasonable shape. He drove it home for $3,700. Title, reg, and the parts/fluid for me to give it a little love and he got EXACTLY what he was looking for at $4k. That's with the typically extra high resale of 15 pack vans.

Finding the right vehicle is a matter of luck, patience, research, and the willingness to run out and buy that gem when it pops up.

- A quick note on that van ... Holy crap was that thing a greenhouse! It heated up SO fast in the AZ sun. Even in the shade of my carport while I was giving her a tuneup that white van with 5 billions sq ft of windows would get hotter that my burgundy Mountaineer in full sun.

Gideon33w said:
Haha. I'm a bit opinionated but there's good cause ;-)

Just found my buddy an 01 Chevy 15 passenger van in Tucson for his business and gave it a tune up. 157k miles, 5.7, reasonable shape. He drove it home for $3,700. Title, reg, and the parts/fluid for me to give it a little love and he got EXACTLY what he was looking for at $4k. That's with the typically extra high resale of 15 pack vans.

Finding the right vehicle is a matter of luck, patience, research, and the willingness to run out and buy that gem when it pops up.

- A quick note on that van ... Holy crap was that thing a greenhouse! It heated up SO fast in the AZ sun. Even in the shade of my carport while I was giving her a tuneup that white van with 5 billions sq ft of windows would get hotter that my burgundy Mountaineer in full sun.
Yeah, all that glass, surprised it wasn't already heavily tinted, most of the 15 pax have the deep factory tint, but even if it did, when closed up...  :-/ 

That's why the F Fan or MaxxAir is so important. I'm still on the fence with "insulation", nothing stops 118 degree AZ heat (coming Tuesday).  I don't care how much Reflectix or polystyrene board you have...

Thanks for helping out a friend like you did. We will find becca something yet.

Hey becca, interested in that G van or was that too high miles?

Yeah, this one had absolutely no tinting other than that super light factory hue. To be fair, my Mountaineer has reflective tint.
When it comes to dealing with heat ventilation trumps insulation unless you're running a generator and window AC unit.
I work from home so I have the free time. Not to mention a huge collection of tools waiting for use, haha.

I saw that Starcraft too (I still hunt for vans despite having the house now ... lol). Miles are high but it looks well maintained.
Plus, while Jan 1st 96 is the mandatory production date for r134a modern refrigerant in vehicles the GM trucks all got it starting 94 model year iirc.

All of my Van rigs have been Cargo Vans.  For me, they are the only way to go if I'm going to live in it as I travel.

Once a week I drive Vans for the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) and I like them for hauling 7 to 10 people
back and forth from appointments at the VA Hospital.   They are great for that,  but I'd sure have to strip the seats out and live in one with curtains etc.  Windows just invite people to look in. Put curtains on them and
it will heighten their curiosity to look in.  The glass will help the sun heat it up inside quickly.  (this at times may be welcome...but at other times a curse)

My choice color is Fleet White (the color of a Refrigerator)  so it can reflect as much heat as possible while drawing as little attention. 

Lots of good ideas in this thread to help you decide.

Just to throw a wrench in the works, you can easily use this link to do a wide search on Craigslist:

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

Just type in your search terms and a BUNCH of results will come up, you can browse thru them and maybe find some comparable units that might not show up locally, but might be worth a look anyway.

Here is an example of how to narrow the search a bit, since you probably wont be interested in rusted out vans from the northeast:

"arizona cargo van"

Or

"arizona 2010 GMC van"

Or whatever.

You will get a few 'sponsored' ads, just skip over those.

Have fun!