Help me choose a low roof van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noFrontSeat

Reaction score
I'm 6'4 and I'm looking to buy a low roof van and I'm struggling to compare all the available options. 

I was looking at chevy express 3500 extended and so far this one is the biggest one I've seen in terms of cubic space. 
Keep in mind that I am also planning to remove the front passenger seat for extra space. 

I need all the extra space I can find, I plan to be stealthy and I have a lot of electronics that I want to install in it, such as a larger water tank, composting toilet, AC, Heater, Electric stove, microwave, tv, on demand water heater, air purifier, water purifier etc. 
I am an electric engineer and I work at a lithium ion recycling facility, we get quite a lot of barely used battery packs and so far I gathered about 30kw of lithium ion storage, the whole thing is the size of a mini fridge which I was thinking about installing in that removed passenger seat area, also I got 2x320w solar panels, but I'm gonna buy 4 more and stack them underneath the two on the roof and expand them on each side of the van when I'm parked, for shade and extra power generation. 
Could be overkill on the storage but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and with so much power I can camp for weeks and be ok with if I have a water source.

I don't want a high roof because it's more difficult to maneuver and less stealthy.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Stealth is a thing of the past. You’ll be spotted anyway. I don’t know who you want to hide from but all the police already know you are in there.

As tall as you are that low roof is going to be a problem.

Are they selling those used lithium’s?

I'm planning to have some sort of company logo on the side of it and be as stealthy as possible. I think you could still hide if you want. I live in a megapolis and want to be able to live in one if I need to so I think it's beneficial.

Since you are considering slide out panels you might consider shade cloth or canvass walls to expand your living area. Another thought was using outside cargo doors to hide a drawer type slide out box for your feet and legs if sleeping across the width of the van although it could be used for a microwave or small appliance as it sounds like you will need all the room you can find. Some vans from overseas use a large slide out that extends out the rear doors to increase standing height they have a floor that drops down to ground level to provide standing room behind the bumper for showers and changing. We used to use a tarp hung from a pole that kept the rear doors open to make a shower sometimes. Even though you have to be concerned about being top heavy you might be able to use PVC pipe for a little more water storage in front and back of your panels to protect them some what from limbs and branches

I think an extended rig is much more difficult to maneuver than a high top.
I am 6'1 and built out a standard height gmc 3500. Never left my parking as it was nearly winter when I finished. I did however stay in it for a couple months to "test".

Everything was fine but my back was killing me after the first month and the novelty was gone. imHo unless you can get out often (good weather)... It's going to be hard on the body regardless of luxuries.

Fortunately the stars aligned and I was able to find a high top... Buuuut it is standard length..:/
I'm currently building it and am amazed at how much more storage and build space I have over the 3500.
Being able to fully stand is much more important than you may realize. I definitely didn't realize. Soo many little things we take for granted. Like getting out of bed and being able to fully stretch..lol

You won't be stealth for long when you step out your rig to stretch in the morning..:)

Remember also that high top vans are everywhere and few have someone living in them.

I'd venture that it isn't the vehicle that gives our stealth away. It is our activity/behaviour.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Well it's not only the stealth factor it's also the clearance and I want to be able to drive through some low clearance areas since I live in the city.
Also I plan to live in California most of the time and travel locally since it's so packed with destinations so at least until then standing up outside won't be a problem.
Besides, with my height and with extra 4" of insulation and boards it's extra difficult to find a standing rig so why bother even. I'll adapt for the outside. And if it's under a certain height, I heard they can't even mess with you

"I'm planning to have some sort of company logo on the side of it and be as stealthy as possible"

O what a tangle web we weave when first we practice to deceive

IMO a bad idea because you are just bringing another level of scrutiny to yourself. Company Logo, What about your business license number, phone number, commercial vehicle enforcement, stopping at weigh stations. Once you place a logo on your vehicle you open yourself up to a whole lot more scrutiny. Commercial vehicles pay a lot more in taxes/fees so if your logo isn't up to snuff every LEO is going to see it as a red flag especially commercial enforcement. In todays world you are not hiding from anybody who cares to know(what picture won the academy award for best picture). Do you think all those solar panels are stealth?

my 2 cents

Highdesertranger

The extended van would be your best option, it will give you plenty of room for all the items you plan to add. Also more room for the solar panels.

I probably wouldnt put the lithium batterybank in the front of the van. Because of the large windshield it will always be very hot or cold, I measure temperatures as high as 150 f in the summer. From what I read 100f is the highest temp they recommend you charge lithium, but I have also read that some lifepo4 can handle charging at temps up to 140f. Every chemistry has a max charge temp.

You might not need all those panels, 2 should be plenty since you probably wont be running the stove/microwave for long periods, 4 total if you plan to run an AC. I have 1x 365 watt panel and that keeps my 500+ ah of lithium batteries fully charge in both summer and winter. But all I have is a swampcooler and 12 volt fridge to run and use a roadpro 12 volt cooker(max 11 amps) to heatup food.

If you do get an AC add alot of insulation to your van, the more insulation the smaller AC you need. The extra insulation will also keep you warm in winter, in southern california I havent had to use a heater in the past 3 years and it gets into the upper 30's. With the insulation the inside of the van is always above 50f which doesnt require a sleeping bag. The less items you need to carry in your van the better.

Temp in front uninsulated(148f) and back insulated (94f) sections of the van. 148f would be bad for lithium batteries longterm life.

high humid.jpg

Attachments

• high humid.jpg
    high humid.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
highdesertranger said:
"I'm planning to have some sort of company logo on the side of it and be as stealthy as possible"

O what a tangle web we weave when first we practice to deceive

IMO a bad idea because you are just bringing another level of scrutiny to yourself.  Company Logo,  What about your business license number, phone number,  commercial vehicle enforcement,  stopping at weigh stations.  Once you place a logo on your vehicle you open yourself up to a whole lot more scrutiny.  Commercial vehicles pay a lot more in taxes/fees so if your logo isn't up to snuff every LEO is going to see it as a red flag especially commercial enforcement. In todays world you are not hiding from anybody who cares to know(what picture won the academy award for best picture).  Do you think all those solar panels are stealth?

my 2 cents

Highdesertranger

As a young and very promising chemist and business man Jessie Pinkman once said - "Yeah!!! MAGNETS BITCH!"

In other words, I'll have a magnet business logo on 4 sides of my van, super easy to de-tach.

jonyjoe303 said:
The extended van would be your best option, it will give you plenty of room for all the items you plan to add. Also more room for the solar panels.

I probably wouldnt put the lithium batterybank in the front of the van. Because of the large windshield it will always be very hot or cold, I measure temperatures as high as 150 f in the summer. From what I read 100f is the highest temp they recommend you charge lithium, but I have also read that some lifepo4 can handle charging at temps up to 140f. Every chemistry has a max charge temp.

You might not need all those panels, 2 should be plenty since you probably wont be running the stove/microwave for long periods, 4 total if you plan to run an AC. I have 1x 365 watt panel and that keeps my 500+ ah of lithium batteries fully charge in both summer and winter. But all I have is a swampcooler and 12 volt fridge to run and use a roadpro 12 volt cooker(max 11 amps) to heatup food.

If you do get an AC add alot of insulation to your van, the more insulation the smaller AC you need. The extra insulation will also keep you warm in winter, in southern california I havent had to use a heater in the past 3 years and it gets into the upper 30's. With the insulation the inside of the van is always above 50f which doesnt require a sleeping bag. The less items you need to carry in your van the better.

Temp in front uninsulated(148f) and back insulated (94f) sections of the van. 148f would be bad for lithium batteries longterm life.
Yeah, I've already reconsidered on that design, I will spread out the batteries throughout my van, maybe under my bed or something. Also for weight destribution, it will weigh about 100lb

noFrontSeat said:
Also for weight destribution, it will weigh about 100lb
Well, that's less than a passenger.

Low overhead clearance does have advantages in urban or forested areas.  My spouse is near your height and doesn't mind the low top for the most part.  We are outside a lot though and not full-timers.  Like you, he would need a very high top to stand anyway.  The idea of an extended body appeals to me until it's time to parallel park.

Personally, I agree with HDR about trying to fool people.  It can backfire.  Trying not to stand out too much is one thing.  Stealth another.

Fiber optic cable yesterday high speed solutions now it's 5 g what's next ? Teleportation

Stealth is a thing of the past. You’ll be spotted anyway. I don’t know who you want to hide from but all the police already know you are in there.

As tall as you are that low roof is going to be a problem.

Are they selling those used lithium’s?
6'4 you should have no expectations of standing up in any van except for a Mercedes sprinter lol

I'm also 6'4" and a low ceiling will quickly get old. I'm saving money to buy a Euro spec'd Sprinter and have shipped to the states. Crazy I know but hear me out. US spec'd Sprinter only offers two roof heights, Standard (67.7") and High (79.1″). Euro spec'd Sprinter offers three heights, Standard, High & Super High. After the floor and ceiling install the standing height is around 6'1"-6'3" depending on what you install. The Super High roof offers 6 inches more of space.

For something alittle easier to obtain, try a Ford Transit High Roof with the roof of 81.5 inches. After its built out, it will standing height of 6'3" - 6'5". You might trade the roof height for a vehicle thats lack luster but you may find some benefits to picking the Ford.

I'm also 6'4" and a low ceiling will quickly get old. I'm saving money to buy a Euro spec'd Sprinter and have shipped to the states. Crazy I know but hear me out. US spec'd Sprinter only offers two roof heights, Standard (67.7") and High (79.1″). Euro spec'd Sprinter offers three heights, Standard, High & Super High. After the floor and ceiling install the standing height is around 6'1"-6'3" depending on what you install. The Super High roof offers 6 inches more of space.

For something alittle easier to obtain, try a Ford Transit High Roof with the roof of 81.5 inches. After its built out, it will standing height of 6'3" - 6'5". You might trade the roof height for a vehicle thats lack luster but you may find some benefits to picking the Ford.
I'm a trucker and most recently drove a 13 speed 2010 peterbilt semi tractor with a coffin sleeper. so I had to get used to somewhat ducking and bending over when I was In that thing. currently living in/camping in a chevy express awd 5.3 liter. it's a little bit better than that truck. to each their own, but I'd rather have a vehicle that is reliable, such as a chevy cargo van instead of something expensive like a Mercedes Sprinter. for one diesel fuel, and even tho that High roof is nice. it might not be able to fit in parking garages/may get tossed around in the wind. Bob wells does not reccommend sprinters, for one they're foreign so parts at a junkyard might no be readily available, 2nd cause Mercedes equals $$ pretty spendy if something goes wrong. 3rd diesel fuel is thru the roof right now!

Last edited:
6'4 you should have no expectations of standing up in any van except for a Mercedes sprinter lol

I'm a trucker and most recently drove a 13 speed 2010 peterbilt semi tractor with a coffin sleeper. so I had to get used to somewhat ducking and bending over when I was In that thing. currently living in/camping in a chevy express awd 5.3 liter. it's a little bit better than that truck. to each their own, but I'd rather have a vehicle that is reliable, such as a chevy cargo van instead of something expensive like a Mercedes Sprinter. for one diesel fuel, and even tho that High roof is nice. it might not be able to fit in parking garages/may get tossed around in the wind. Bob wells does not reccommend sprinters, for one they're foreign so parts at a junkyard might no be readily available, 2nd cause Mercedes equals $$ pretty spendy if something goes wrong. 3rd diesel fuel is thru the roof right now!
Agreed, but as Jared Tocci explains in his build videos, your build will be based on what inconveniences you will put up with. I am not tolerable of alot of things. But, what ever you are willing to put up with, you will find a way to make it work.

I'm 6'4 and I'm looking to buy a low roof van and I'm struggling...
...in terms of cubic space...
I am an electric engineer...
I don't want a high roof because it's more difficult to maneuver and less stealthy.

I appreciate all the suggestions!
Hello, fellow engineer!
re -- stealth
How much experience do you have hiding from the government agents?
I ask, because I can spot a camper in a crowded parking-lot blind-folded with one hand tied behind my back.
On a dark and stormy night.
re -- standing room inside
6'4'?
You and I see eye-to-eye [high five!].
For my sanity, I need a place to stretch... and I stretch a lot, arms out and tootsies tall.
For my sanity, I need to shrug-on my trousers while standing.
Accordingly, our ceiling is around seven feet (2.2m) high.
The box of the 1996 delivery-van was close to eight feet (2.3m) high inside, then we added floor and insulation -- part of a half-foot -- and ceiling insulation -- definitely a half-foot.
After a half-century of camping in lesser rigs, experimenting with all types of rigs...
2003, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Early-on in Our Camping Career, we placed *Safety and *Comfort neck-n-neck.
We felt safe in our 1984 Chevrolet Astro van in Central America, but it lacked comfort.
We felt comfortable in many of the factory RecreateVehicles we delivered manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows, but they lacked safety.
Our suggestions:
* rent
* walk around a campground or resort, chat with owners of rigs similar to those you are considering
* join a caravan of experienced travelers, watch their choices.
And our least-followed most-ignored suggestion:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You grow and evolve, your vehicle needs change.
Would I own a short-roof van for the Single Purpose of eluding the government agents?
Probably not.
I am all about Multiple Uses for anything we carry in the rig.
An aside:
On the skoolie DIY home-made forum, a gal acquired a short-roof bus, but needed more standing-room...
... so she grafted an inverted aluminum jon-boat over the center aisle.
Some campers try to hide [laughably], some campers are 'in-your-face' obvious.
In our experience, we can over-night pretty much anyplace.
I think the key is moving-on before breakfast, settling-in after the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
re -- company logo
"24-Hour Electric Engineering"
"Engineered Electric, 24-Hour$"
"Electric, Engineered 24-Hours"
"Not A Surveillance Van"

Last edited: