Looking at Conversion Vans and have no idea what is good price

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
Hi all!

My husband and I have now taken the steps toward purchasing a nomad vehicle. Our budget is as high as $8K-$9K with the right vehicle but would love to get one for much less. We have decided on a conversion van because we need the height (we are older) and don't know if we have the energy to start from scratch for a total camper conversion.

We've been searching around and have noticed that there are absolutely no guidelines for fair price regarding conversion vans, especially here in NJ. Some seem outrageously priced. This week we were so close to getting a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with 318 engine and 86K miles with barely any rust on the undercarriage and absolutely none on body for $5500 but someone beat us to it. Even with the plenum problem that had not yet been dealt with, we thought this an excellent deal.

I'm now talking to a gentleman selling his 2002 GMC Savana 1500 with 5.7L engine and 86K miles. He originally wanted $9500 but said that he is now willing to take $7500. He has only had it for 500 miles so hasn't done any maintenance but said he purchased it from original owner who seemed to be meticulous about servicing (and has documentation to prove) and neither one did any towing with it.

I also emailed someone who is selling a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with 318 and 90K miles for $2500. It has major paint chip issues (he says no rust and body looks great from pictures but we haven't gone to see it and inspected the undercarriage yet) and a P0505 engine code and he said original owner towed a popup with it (he, too, is second owner and only purchased last year). My husband is good DIYer with a diagnostic tool so can replace most sensors, motors, hoses, etc apart from major engine, body, and transmission work and said he can easily replace the defective plenums that are on Dodges around that period (which may even affect the P0505 engine code). We figured if we had any major engine work plus a paint job we are still way under budget with this.

So......after my long winded post.....my question to all of you......I realize that GMC/Chevy's have a far better reputation but is $7500 a good price for a 2002 Savana that may need nothing else? Should we stay clear of the Dodge? 

Thanks so much!

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0505

a conversion van is not stock,it's a van bought by a private company and they converted it so a baseline price is hard to get,they sell new for crazy prices

dodge is as good as any other,check that front end for rust
but the gmc has vortec heads which are notorious for cracking soo...

it's all about the upkeep and maintenance,did they use cheap part or the good ones?

be patient,you will know it when you see it,then pounce like a fat man on the last cookie

Thanks Gary. I spent so much time researching the problems of Dodge and Ford engines for late 90's and early 00's, I hadn't really looked into any GMC engine problems with those years since I heard so many good things about them. Is it the Castech heads you are speaking of?

You are so right...I need to be more patient. I was getting a bit tired of scanning thru all these auto sites, contacting owners, seeing vans, etc  (it's consuming me at times...my fault, I need to restrain myself). My gut was telling me I don't want to spend $7500 on a 15yr vehicle unless it is prestine, impeccably maintained with extremely low miles (probably unrealistic). But, a part of me was hoping that maybe it worth the price so I wouldn't have to look anymore.

In the end, I'd much rather have a sufficient slush fund to cover any additional, unforeseen maintenance expenses if we decide to look at vehicles that are that old.

I'm taking your advice and being patient. I've got my alerts going at Craigslist, Cars.com, Carsforsale.com, and carfax.com so when that deals comes along, I'll definitely be pouncing on that cookie!

Thanks again.

point being,all rigs have their flaws and outside of those triton ford engines maintenance is more important then make/model

Care to share what state; that can also determine value. $7500 is just a bit high although not by much; depends on condition and faults. Find the value of the vehicle, and discount the tires if worn, brakes, etc. Make sure to have a compression check on whatever you guys decide. Peace of mind.

Check out the reviews and values here: https://www.kbb.com/gmc/savana-1500-passenger/2002/

Either the GMC or Dogdge a high top? What's the Dodge look like inside?

I really appreciate your opinion, especially whether the price is good. My husband and I agreed that $7000 if in prestine condition with absolutely nothing needed was our starting point so it sounds from your post that is about right.

We live in NJ but in addition to looking throughout state here are looking in eastern and central PA (that's where the $5500 Dodge was), Delaware, NYC, and southern NY. Funny thing is, I'm finding that conversion van prices in Long Island are more reasonable than in Northern NJ for similar vans. That was totally unexpected. Southern NJ is more reasonable than central and northern NJ, which doesn't suprise me much......but the thing I'm finding is that the price point is much more tightly regional than I expected. I have dropped Conneticut altogether because that entire state is asking ridiculous prices for old vans.

And I was especially losing my point of reference because I was starting to see 2004/2005  Chevy Express' on Craiglist with ~130K, mostly in northern NJ, listed for anywhere between $9K - $20K! check this out---2005 GMC . (<--this is in the middle of nowhere)

Usually these ones have the fancy paint job and the "luxurious" leather interior with navigation system, etc. But still! eek I was beginning to wonder if I wasn't being realistic and that $5500 Dodge was a rare anomaly and that maybe we had to raise what we were willing to spend for an older van. 
CautionToTheWind said:
Check out the reviews and values here: https://www.kbb.com/gmc/savana-1500-passenger/2002/ 

Either the GMC or Dogdge a high top? What's the Dodge look like inside?

Yes, for now we have only been looking for high tops for the head room but we still are contemplating looking at regular passenger and cargo vans to see if we can get newer/lesser mileage for the money and live with the lower top. 

How much should I add to the KBB for the hightop and other conversion items? (I noticed most KBB values don't have the hightop option)

Here's a picture of the  2000 Dodge . Since it is a 2 1/2 hr. drive to see, we had asked the guy for more pictures of the back and the undercarriage. He replied "the van is in Reading if you want to see". I immediately dropped the van from our potential list.

CautionToTheWind said:
 Make sure to have a compression check on whatever you guys decide. Peace of mind.

Forgot to especially thank you for this, CTTW! We hadn't thought of that and now my husband will be looking into purchasing a compression tester. 

Here's our list to bring for a van inspection:

• compression tool
  • OBD tool
  • multimeter for testing car battery
  • creeper
  • screwdriver for checking frame integrity
Should I be adding anything else? 

Hmmm.....maybe I should search the forum to see if a thread has been created specifically for what to look for when inspecting a used vehicle.

That's a nice look'n Dodge for the price! Is there a reason why they didn't fix the code issue before selling? 318 are known for their reliability. You have a pic of 2002?

No idea why the code wasn't dealt with. Hubby wasn't at all bothered by the code....thought he could handle any of the fixes except a possible intake manifold leak (unless replacing the plenum pan solves it...he said he could do that). Because seller wouldn't send pictures, especially of the undercarriage, we have stopped communication with him since we didn't want to make a 5+hr trip to see it for ourselves. But, I'm with you....I definitely would be interested if I lived much closer. 

Here's the other van --- 2002 GMC . I just responded this afternoon that our starting base price would be $7000. This car is 2+ hrs away so wanted to have an understanding of what price range we were comfortable with ( so we didn't waste each others time) before traveling to see it. Haven't heard back from the owner and will not be surprised if they don't like the starting point. Because the original asking price is so high and he is not well, we have a suspicion he's looking to make alot of money from it.

Good looking rig!

Make sure you run the VIN for any possible liens/$$ against the vehicle (that follow the vehicle) and the title is in THE SELLER's name; if it's not, you *might* run into a registering issue. Make a bill of sale; a form of record.

If the title is clean, in his name, he is probably flipping to make some money.

I'm extra cautious nowadays.

Several months ago, I came across a great check list for buying a used car. Can't remember if I bookmarked it or not. lol Might be a bit of digging to find it online.

Should be in this video...

EDITed below

Follow up VID's

Episode 1: The "Side of the Road Inspection":

Episode 3 Engine Inspection:

Episode 4: Interior & Exterior Inspection:

Episode 5: Test Drive and Negotiation:

CautionToTheWind said:
Make sure you run the VIN for any possible liens/$$ against the vehicle (that follow the vehicle) and the title is in THE SELLER's name; if it's not, you *might* run into a registering issue. Make a bill of sale; a form of record.

If the title is clean, in his name, he is probably flipping to make some money.

I'm extra cautious nowadays.

Funny you mentioned this...I called one seller a few weeks ago about a CL ad posted outside Philadelphia. During initial questioning when asking about the title told me that he "owned the van" but that his mother's name, who lived in NJ, was on the title and not his and that she had already signed it and that it was ready to be handed to the next buyer. That was really when I learned to be on my guard going forward.

I decided from then on that one of our first questions was to ask seller if their name was on the title and then if a sale was close, to verify the name on the title with their drivers license. Here in NJ, the "owner"/seller merely signs the piece of paper (that is supposedly the official title) and hands it to the buyer so there is a lot of opportunity for shenanigans.

Then last week I watched a video from AdventureVanMan about how he got scammed with the title. Apparently in works the same way in CA as in NJ....he purchased the van, the seller hands over the title and only when AVM went to the DMV to register the van did he find that not only did the title had some liens on it but the seller was not the official owner of the vehicle. Talk about a mess! He now has to pay all the liens along with additional penalties for the title problem

I love how they do title transfer in PA. The owner has to go to an official PA DMV notary public in person and sign the title over to the new buyer (who doesn't have to be present) along with an ID and get the paper notarized. I like that alot. Less chance of scamming. One of the reasons I prefer to purchase a car in PA.

CautionToTheWind said:
Should be in this video...

EDITed below

Follow up VID's

Episode 1: The "Side of the Road Inspection":

Episode 3 Engine Inspection:

Episode 4: Interior & Exterior Inspection:

Episode 5: Test Drive and Negotiation:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :heart: 

I spent some time searching this forum and didn't find a thread addressing the inspection of a used vehicle prior to purchase. Is there one I'm missing?

If not, and since I'm in the midst of all this and have found some great tips (not to mention the ones you sharedCTTW), I was wondering if it might be helpful to everyone to create one that congregates the wisdom from all the sages here at CRVL along with nuggets that others find on the internet. I'm new here so am not sure what specific forum it would be appropriate to create one. Thoughts?

Glad to hear it was helpful.

You could PM one of the admin's and ask about inspection topic; where to place your idea. (great idea too)

By golly.....look what I found! Ambulette coaches      Talk about finding a gold mine!

I've been salivating everytime I see an ambulance or EMT vehicle and thinking "what a perfect vehicle for a camper van conversion". Don't get me wrong....I'm not thinking this if they have their lights on....that would be cold, wouldn't it? :angel:  (I actually have been eyeing every larger vehicle I pass when driving, since starting my van search, and imagining how well it would work as a camper vehicle.)  

Wonder how the mileages are on them. If only these were Chevy's, I probably would have been up there today and driving one home.

I know the consensus seems to be to avoid the triton engines, but what about Fords AFTER 2008?

PineyCruisin said:
Funny you mentioned this...I called one seller a few weeks ago about a CL ad posted outside Philadelphia. During initial questioning when asking about the title told me that he "owned the van" but that his mother's name, who lived in NJ, was on the title and not his and that she had already signed it and that it was ready to be handed to the next buyer. That was really when I learned to be on my guard going forward.

Some of my best deals on vehicles have been bought with titles in another's name than the seller.  I buy/sell a lot of vehicles though so i'm probably a bit more comfortable with it than others and have a knack for sniffing out if something's shady.  So def stay with in your comfort level and do your due diligence.  However, I wouldn't necessarily run the other way if they don't match.  If it's a good deal and you like the vehicle maybe try verifying what they tell you....like if it is in fact in his mother's name and he's just handling the sale for her.  Their last names should at least match.

Yeah, I can think of circumstances when the owner will not be the person selling now that you mention it. Wish I was more savvy to know what is legit and what is not.

Can always insist they go to the DMV or tax office with you to transfer the title
Show em you got the money, insist on doing the deal at the DMV / tax office
A lot of sellers here in Texas insist on it, so the buyer doesn't get to drive around on your tags

That is great advice! 

I'm assuming since the carfax may not have the info that any liens were paid off, the DMV would immediately have know the lien status before the title transfer is complete?