Fix the van you have or buy another one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a cooktop that is easy to use, compact for storage but stable and has the option of butane canisters or being hooked to a propane bottle I like the Gas One, Dual Fuel Mini. I has the nice feature of when you turn the burner off it automatically releases the pressure on the fuel tank. That way no accidental turning on of the gas without having the stove lit. Also it is nice looking.
https://gasone.com/products/gs-800p-portable-dual-fuel-twin-stove

A dual fuel stove is great because the butane canisters are convenient and do produce good heat. But having the propane option is also good because sometimes you can find butane canisters at a reasonable price. I can verify that the Asian grocery stores do have better prices on the butane canisters than camping supply and hardware stores. I recently got a 4 pack in Seattle at an Asian market for just over $6.00 .

B and C said:
We want to see pictures of your new rig.

Thanks for the interest.  I actually need to get pics of it taken now.  And, I need to figure out how to do this on this site.  I have had problems trying to load pics on here before so I quit trying.    I do a lot of photography and even edit my own photos and videos so I am familiar with how to do things.  Anyhow, I will work on that.  

At this point, it is bare bones stock so I am back to square one again, unless I find a way to convert what I built into my Dodge Ram van.  And I am hoping that I will be able to.    Needless to say, my 2001 Chevy Astro is smaller, but given the shape it was in and all the work that was done to it, I figured that I would find a way to make it work.  

That being said, I will work on getting some pics up!

maki2 said:
For a cooktop that is easy to use, compact for storage but stable and has the option of butane canisters or being hooked to a propane bottle I like the Gas One, Dual Fuel Mini. I has the nice feature of when you turn the burner off it automatically releases the pressure on the fuel tank. That way no accidental turning on of the gas without having the stove lit. Also it is nice looking.
https://gasone.com/products/gs-800p-portable-dual-fuel-twin-stove

A dual fuel stove is great because the butane canisters are convenient and do produce good heat. But having the propane option is also good because sometimes you can find butane canisters at a reasonable price. I can verify that the Asian grocery stores do have better prices on the butane canisters than  camping supply and hardware stores. I recently got a 4 pack in Seattle at an Asian market for just over $6.00 .

Believe it or not, I have actually been using an alcohol stove in my old Dodge van for a long time.  I use fuel from the small yellow HEET bottles and get around 30-45 minutes of burn time and only use around two ounces of fuel.  I was an avid camper/trekker/backpacker for many years and have used a wide variety of stoves over the years and am very familiar with them and comfortable around them.  But when I got into the van life I didn't want to be keeping Coleman fuel inside the van and I was also leery of the kind of fumes that it would produce.  I checked out the alcohol fuel thing and really liked it so I have just kept using it.  I don't think that this is an arrangement for everyone, but it works for me and is efficient and inexpensive to use.

highdesertranger said:
"We want to see pictures of your new rig."

exactly.

highdesertranger

Thanks for the interest highdesertranger.  Right now it is just basic with no modifications, but I love it and am looking forward to getting it tricked out.

Attachments

• IMG_4662-2.jpg
    IMG_4662-2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 20
That's a nice looking van! Not quite as cool as the fanny pack and I'm gonna say Crocs? If I was a one man show, I might think about yanking the front passenger seat for added room. I would not only stick with the Daisy theme(yours? Or already there?), but double\triple down on that theme! Best of luck with the build out Van on 66 and if possible, would love to see what the inside looks like when finished.

Van on 66 said:
Believe it or not, I have actually been using an alcohol stove in my old Dodge van for a long time.  I use fuel from the small yellow HEET bottles and get around 30-45 minutes of burn time and only use around two ounces of fuel.  I was an avid camper/trekker/backpacker for many years and have used a wide variety of stoves over the years and am very familiar with them and comfortable around them.  But when I got into the van life I didn't want to be keeping Coleman fuel inside the van and I was also leery of the kind of fumes that it would produce.  I checked out the alcohol fuel thing and really liked it so I have just kept using it.  I don't think that this is an arrangement for everyone, but it works for me and is efficient and inexpensive to use.
Same dual fuel stove I bought with the plan being to use butane when I cook outside. Nice looking van, Thanks!

Wabbit said:
That's a nice looking van! Not quite as cool as the fanny pack and I'm gonna say Crocs? If I was a one man show, I might think about yanking the front passenger seat for added room. I would not only stick with the Daisy theme(yours? Or already there?), but double\triple down on that theme! Best of luck with the build out Van on 66 and if possible, would love to see what the inside looks like when finished.

Thanks for the compliment on the van.  I think it isn't hard to see why I bought this.  It is pretty clean.  The lady who owned this was a daisy fanatic.  She had a daisy license plate from on the front and the back that were about daisy's and daisy stickers all over the van.  She kept the frames and I have actually already started peeling the Daisy stickers off.  I just wanted a reminder that this is how I bought this so I left that one on for the photo.   :)   Me and my friends joked yesterday that I should name her Miss Daisy but I just didn't think that it was a theme that worked for me.  Glad that you liked them though!  Since I do Route 66 promotions I am sure that Route 66 will be a part of my theme in some sort of fashion.

I actually walked Route 66 a lot of years ago all the way from Chicago to L.A. and used a fanny pack a lot then while walking to keep things in and I loved them.  I think that they went out of style after the 90s for I don't care.  As for the Crocs,  I have worn them for a long time too and I love them.  If I had only been wearing boots instead of them though when I was doing some body work on my other van a couple of years ago I wouldn't have busted my foot when I fell off the extension ladder.   Now, that WAS a painful lesson!

I will definitely keep you in the loop as I get the interior done.  Thanks again for your interest!

B and C said:
We want to see pictures of your new rig.

Thanks for the interest in my van Brian.  As you can see on this thread, I started posting pics and will be doing that as I go through the changes to this van.

highdesertranger said:
nice looking van. congrats.  we do love build threads.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the compliment highdesertranger.  I did retail store fixture design and engineering back in the day so I love this kind of thing.  I will definitely keep you in the loop as I work my way through this with this van, even though it will take some time.  

Like I have said, it is a smaller van, but I think you can see why I picked up this van especially since I only had around $2,000.00 to spend.

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]The transformation on the new "Van on 66" has begun.[/font]

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]This morning began the work on the van beginning with addressing all the issues from the inspection my friends gave it yesterday. Most of them were cosmetic including taaking all the light lenses and bringing them back to life from faded yellow to clear. You can see the difference this made by looking at the one lens to the left of the headlight and to the lens underneath the headlight that I am working on here.[/font]

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]I had no idea of how to do this until I got schooled in this today by a long time auto body expert. Now all of the exterior lenses look just like new.[/font]
[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]You will also notice the Daisy decal on the fender. The lady that I purchased this from had a love for Daisies. When I went to check out this van it had a Daisy license plate on the front and back and also a handful of Daisy stickers here and there on the van. Needless to say, today was the end of "Driving Miss Daisy!  LOL    :) [/font]

Attachments

• IMG_4670-2.jpg
    IMG_4670-2.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 8
[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]It has been a busy day. The trio of Shannon Peterson, Pete Peterson, and myself have adjusted doors, tightened hoses, buffed and adjusted body and trim pieces, put in missing screws, dabbed clear coat into tiny dents and nicks, and lovingly rubbed and polished.[/font]

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]The end of the day resulted in me being a little emotional, not just to have seen this van so thoroughly gone through, but because of the compassion and caring of the two people who displayed so much love, not only to myself, but to the mission that I have set out on. I can't thank them enough for all that they have done!!![/font]

Attachments

• collage-7a.jpg
    collage-7a.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 9