What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just downloaded ~ Consciousness Rising by Nicky Sutton ~ haven't started reading it yet but plan to get to it soon

I like Nicky Sutton

JasonMcD said:
I suppose its a matter of perspective. If you're looking for an allegory about the conflicts of masculine and feminine existence then it might not be your book. If you're looking for a book about life through the eyes of a group of cowboys then yes, it probably is realistic. There are other aspects of the book that some could find offensive such as the use of the "N word" but its a historical fiction, and meant to be as immersive as possible to an audience looking for the kind of story it tells.
I have never read the book Lonesome Dove, but I've seen the film dozens of times.

I read an article about the book some years ago. The author apparently tried to sell it to network after network. Everyone turned them down. Then at an industry party the author was catching up with a friend and she was interested and instantly bought the film rights. She was an executive with Motown. Motown produced the film. How many cowboy movies do you know of produced by Motown? 

Super cool.

I've been listening to an audio book of the Tao of Pooh. Leading up to reading the Tao Te Ching.

The Tao of Pooh uses characters from winnie the pooh to teach Taoist principles and attitudes. We had a teacher use excerpts from it in his science class when I was in middle high.

Just finished the audiobook of The Wayward Bus by John Steinbeck. Now, there's a novel for you travelers! It starts in a town called Rebel Corners in the book. He's changed all the place names. The town was actually called Confederate Corners and it is just south of Salinas where Steinbeck lived. A few years ago the powers that be changed the name to Springtown as they want to develop it for retired people, or some such, and Confederate Corners may not have been PC enough of a name for Californians in that area.

I always want to have an audiobook in progress, so now I'm listening to The Spectator Bird by Wallace Stegner - it was a National Book Award Winner back in 1977. A retired man and his wife live in a SF Bay Area suburb... he finds and starts reading a journal he kept while visiting Denmark years earlier... so there are two stories happening. I like the way it is written.

Great characterization in both novels.

Finished a few more books about the Travellers and A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Conner (oh my). Next up is a William Least Heat Moon book I can't remember the name of right offhand.

I'm still trying to decide which William Least Heat-Moon book I want to read next. I've heard Prairy Erth is good, but I think it would be more fun to read while visiting Kansas. River-Horse also sounds good, though my mode of transportation is van, not boat.

One things I've noticed Lonesome Dove (read when first published) and American Dirt (recently completed) have in common is that anything that could possibly happen on the epic journeys described, does.

Just finished Remains of the Day.  Still thinking about it.

travelaround said:
I'm still trying to decide which William Least Heat-Moon book I want to read next. I've heard Prairy Erth is good, but I think it would be more fun to read while visiting Kansas. River-Horse also sounds good, though my mode of transportation is van, not boat.

The one I got is Celestial Mechanics.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or somewhere else that I mentioned a favorite author, Mo Hayder.  She wrote a book The Devil of Nanking (also published earlier as Tokyo) which is one of the creepiest books I've ever read.  It gets your imagination going and just does not let up.

So my oldest daughter and her husband take off to Tokyo for a couple weeks in 2019 I think it was.  She texts me to tell me they got there fine and that she brought that book to read while she was there.  WHAT???!!!???  I mean, reading a book in Tokyo that was set in Tokyo makes sense but oh man. 

btw, their hotel had a giant Godzilla head on the roof.  Daughter says Tokyo is the most wonderfully weird place she's ever been and wants to go back.

Today, the first three chapters of Carl Hiassen's "Skink—No Surrender" that was in a pile at the laundromat. I almost swiped the book.

VanFan said:
One things I've noticed Lonesome Dove (read when first published) and American Dirt (recently completed) have in common is that anything that could possibly happen on the epic journeys described, does.

YES - I thought the same thing... especially American Dirt - It was so wearying to read about every bad thing that could possibly happen. That took it from realistic to stereotypical.

Lonesome Dove - over 800 pages. Plenty of room for everything to happen. What a saga! I'm not reading any sequels. I remember enjoying the movies, long ago.

wanderingsoul said:
I don't remember if it was in this thread or somewhere else that I mentioned a favorite author, Mo Hayder.  She wrote a book The Devil of Nanking (also published earlier as Tokyo) which is one of the creepiest books I've ever read.  It gets your imagination going and just does not let up.

I have a policy of not reading fiction with titles containing "devil" "satan" "hell" etc. . . . I guess you could say, I'm not a fan of horror novels, though many years ago I recall reading Poe and Lovecraft.

travelaround said:
I have a policy of not reading fiction with titles containing "devil" "satan" "hell" etc. . . . I guess you could say, I'm not a fan of horror novels, though many years ago I recall reading Poe and Lovecraft.

For the most part I don't either because they're usually badly written horror.  If I'm going to read horror, it's going to be something like The Haunting of Hill House.  I keep meaning to get some Lovecraft, I don't think I've read anything but The Dunwich Horror.

The Mo Hayder book I referred to is a thriller, as all of her books are.

wanderingsoul said:
If I'm going to read horror, it's going to be something like The Haunting of Hill House.  I keep meaning to get some Lovecraft, I don't think I've read anything but The Dunwich Horror.

YES - I also want to read The Haunting of Hill House and maybe a few others considered classics. Lovecraft is more like a "cult classic" . . . everyone should know about the call of Cthulu, right?

travelaround said:
YES - I also want to read The Haunting of Hill House and maybe a few others considered classics. Lovecraft is more like a "cult classic" . . . everyone should know about the call of Cthulu, right?

Also yes!  Because it's probably part of the collective unconscious now. lol

Attachments

• 178F168A-5B2A-4B9B-B7FA-844A70D88F06.jpeg
    178F168A-5B2A-4B9B-B7FA-844A70D88F06.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 10
Reading the embroidery made my eyes fill up with tears.

I will read this book.

Our library has it on order. I didn't realize it was so new.

Started reading Celestial Mechanics by William Least Heat Moon last night and it's wonderful. It "might possibly be somewhat autobiographical" according to the author. The writing is sublime.

I'd be a little more tempted to get this right now if there was an audiobook version. Right now I've got too many paperbacks and Kindle books in progress. I always want to have at least one of each as I'll use them in different situations.

My current audiobook is The Spectator Bird by Wallace Stegner, and I'm nearly done with it. Great book so far. Great audio reading! After that I'm considering reading Roughing It by Mark Twain.