What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30781

Reaction score
I love reading threads because they allow me to add to my wanted list.   :D 

I don't remember where I saw this book mentioned but I ordered it from our library.  They didn't have it in any of the branches so they ordered it from the interlibrary loan system and it came to me in North Central WA all the way from Emporia, KS!

The Stopping Places: A Journey Through Gypsy Britain by Damian Le Bas

I only just started it right before I took a much needed nap late this afternoon but it caught my attention and drew me in immediately.  I've been interested in the Travellers of Great Britain ever since seeing  a National Geographic article about the Travellers in Ireland.

He says the preferred van of the Travellers is a Ford Transit. :D 

I just finished a science fiction book called Eternity by Greg Bear, book two in a trilogy.  I don't think it was quite as good as the first book, Eon.  No matter how many times I read it, or read about one online, I still don't understand what a singularity is. lol  Eon is a FANTASTIC book if you like sci-fi.

I recently finished Oliver Sacks book 'Awakenings' which I've been wanting to read for years now but in retrospect it was a very strange book to be reading in the middle of a pandemic. (*laughs*)

At the beginning of the pandemic, I ordered a stack of books from the library about...pandemics.  All non-fiction.

The Pandemic Century by Mark Honigsbaum was very interesting and told accounts of pandemics and near-pandemics that I didn't know about.

ask your library if they support the Libby app (formerly overdrive). This app allows you to check out ebooks or audiobooks "over the phone" and complete them on your phone. There's also an app called Kanopy that let's you check out movies, etc. Also explore if they offer the Gale/Udemy app which accesses over 5000 instructional courses. Reference librarians are the greatest under utilized free resource in America

"Cross Creek Cooking" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Fascinating Florida Cracker cooking c 1943

Cheers

Now that sounds interesting!  I love reading cookbooks!  I picked up one at the thrift store called Northern Cookbook.  It's aimed at people in Alaska and Canada.  Maybe living out in the bush with supplies and hunting and fishing.  There are recipes for game and game birds and all kinds of fish  and seal and even whale.  Easy baking recipes.  I love it.

I probably have almost as many cookbooks as I do regular books.

I'm a SUCKER for old cookbooks using old methods and foods... The picture below is only half of 1 set of shelves out 2 sets I keep my collection in. The ones I treasure most are several very old books on Vermont and New England cooking that belonged to my Great Grandmother (b 1875) who was from Swanton Vt. The OTHER thing I'm a sucker for is BBQ. Which I'm ALSO doing today! :D

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0107.JPG
    IMGP0107.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMGP0105.JPG
    IMGP0105.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
I WAS reading a biography of Jack London But lost interest when the adventure quickly turned to politics, society...

I just started "Experiment in Survival" by George Sigler. George writes of his experiences as a pilot and sailor, and how that inspired him to research and design a survival kit to be included with life rafts in aircraft and boats. To prove the effectiveness of the kit he and a friend sailed a life raft from San Francisco to Hawaii using only the raft and his kit of survival gear. So far so good at page40.

Probably 99% of my reading is non-fiction. Of that, a high percentage are the only book by that author since they are writing about personal experiences weather it is in a military conflict, survival situation, growing up in or living in a certain area... history over fantasy.

Guy

Nice looking butt you've got there JDub!

Charles Dickens novels are wonderful reads. David Copperfield was the first one I read. After that I read just about all of them.

The Old Curriosity Shop I thought was the meaningful.

I've been reading a lot of F.I.R.E. books lately, about financial independence and early retirement.

My recent favorite is called "The Cash Machine". It's a romance novel about FI, Real Estate, and Life Hacking. Currently free on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P81146/

"Wind in the Willows"! Laugh if you like but it's a wonderful old book, Ratty, Mole, Badger, and Toad!

Cheers!

Whatever domestic suspense/thrillers I can find on Kindle Unlimited. I miss the real library so much.

have you ever read any Jim Chee novels by Tony Hillerman? i've read them all and may read
them again one day...been stuck in history lately which can be a "not so exhilarating read" ;)

I have 2 cook books right now one is an old Good housekeeping, one is American Summer cookbook summer cooking book and one is Stunning Stitches for Crazy Quilts and 2 water coloring books. I have 2 novels but I put both away they just are not good right now for me. I am going to be soooooo happy when the library is fully open again. I have been 'renting' stuff from the thrift store this last year.

I'm reading The Forge of God by Greg Bear. I got about halfway through thinking "this is fine, but not as good as his Eon" until I got to a point last night that made me go holy crap, here we go. Greg Bear is an excellent sci-fi writer.

I got my book for my roadtrip next month, Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon. It's going to be hard not to pick it up and get into it for the next 4 weeks.

My son loaned me that one by Moon and I accidently got it wet. So before I got to finish it he took it back home.... Grrr.
But since I love books too I understand. It was a good read.