What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t read Hillerman in years.Read his early books and liked them better than later.

I’m reading, “Go Set a Watchman” by Harper Lee.

Only a dozen pages in so far. Great wordsmith.

Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural. It's a collection (1944) of scary stories, many or most of them written in the nineteenth century. My brother brought home this book from his high school library when I was just a kid and I read it as soon as I could get my hands on it. I think I was 8 or 9. Found it back in print and bought a copy about 15 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Terror-Supernatural-Modern-Library/dp/0679601287

6059F089-766A-49A9-8EAA-752546D8A3DA.jpeg

Attachments

• 6059F089-766A-49A9-8EAA-752546D8A3DA.jpeg
    6059F089-766A-49A9-8EAA-752546D8A3DA.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10
Well, I was saving Blue Highways for my roadtrip in a few weeks but then ordered a bunch of book from the library and at least a few will be here by then, so I got into Blue Highways last night.

WHAT A BOOK!!

At the end of Chapter 8 he's driving through a town in Kentucky and talking about corporate food chains and how they're pushing out the old mom and pop cafes. I think this book was written in 1983.

In 1977 Jane and Michael Stern started driving around the country, ferreting out locals cafes, diners and places like that and writing about them. Started a series called Roadfood. I bought my first copy of Roadfood in the early 1980s and got to meet them at a book signing in Seattle. Then they started a website which is still going. Within the last few years they've started adding in more upscale places but all the old cafes, coffeeshops and diners are still there. Ever since I read my first copy of Roadfood I've wanted nothing more than to drive around the country eating at some of these places.

https://roadfood.com/

I'm not going to say which one it is but I have a review in there myself. When I submitted it, it was put up on the front page that evening and shortly after that, Mr and Ms Stern went there themselves to check it out (and review a few more places in that area of a certain state).

I loved Blue Highways!!

Right now I'm reading:
Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin (buddy read with other Booktubers)
Hamnet, by Maggie O'Farrell (audiobook)
The World Rushed In: The California Gold Rush Experience, by J.S. Holliday

wanderingsoul said:
In 1977 Jane and Michael Stern started driving around the country, ferreting out locals cafes, diners and places like that and writing about them.  Started a series called Roadfood.  I bought my first copy of Roadfood in the early 1980s and got to meet them at a book signing in Seattle.  Then they started a website which is still going.  Within the last few years they've started adding in more upscale places but all the old cafes, coffeeshops and diners are still there.  Ever since I read my first copy of Roadfood I've wanted nothing more than to drive around the country eating at some of these places. 

https://roadfood.com/

I'm not going to say which one it is but I have a review in there myself.  When I submitted it, it was put up on the front page that evening and shortly after that, Mr and Ms Stern went there themselves to check it out (and review a few more places in that area of a certain state).
I've loved the Stern's since they started all those years ago. Their website makes me DROOL!!! Jane Stern wrote a book as I recall which recounted her battle with depression and she quit the road and spent time as an EMT to deal with it and do something different. I'm almost done with Susan Cooper's "Silver on the Tree which is the last of the "Dark is Rising series (reading my son's old books I found organizing) and I'm about to start Tom Wolfe's "Look Homeward Angel".

Cheers!

Travelaround said:

I ordered a copy off eBay a few days ago.

Sounds interesting.

I've also been sporadically reading "My Father's Tears and other stories", by John Updike

Got a little more into Blue Highways before nap this afternoon. There were spots in it that are so beautiful it actually made my eyes fill up with tears. What a writer! Oh man....

travelaround said:
I loved Blue Highways!!

Right now I'm reading:
Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin (buddy read with other Booktubers)
Hamnet, by Maggie O'Farrell (audiobook)

I’m just trying to think what might happen to my brain if I try to read three books at the same time

ebe2d256ee9a0934a562177927378bbc.jpg

Trying to read the set up instructions for the new TV the other new one died. just 2 months beyond warranty.... I never feel as old as this unless I am trying to figure out anything even Semi techy. GRRRRR
After this I will be reading the label to a wine bottle. Or something like it.

Finished Blue Highways, I was sad for it to end. Now I'm going to read Deep South by Paul Theroux. He's my favorite travel writer, I have quite a few of his books.

"The Great Railway Bazaar" is my favorite of his works...

vanbrat said:
Trying to read the set up instructions for the new TV the other new one died. just 2 months beyond warranty.... I never feel as old as this unless I am trying to figure out anything even Semi techy. GRRRRR
After this I will be reading the label to a wine bottle. Or something like it.

Attachments

• Meme - cork collection.png
    Meme - cork collection.png
    457.1 KB · Views: 4
JDub said:
"The Great Railway Bazaar" is my favorite of his works...

Have you read "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star"?  He made the same trip something like 30 years later.  I actually picked up this one in the library first before I read Railway Bazaar.

No I haven't! I've read about it - I need to get on Abe Books and order a nice used copy.
Cheers!

If you want to understand what's going on in the Balkans - in the past, present and in the future read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lamb_and_Grey_Falcon

It was required reading for a small group of us before w spent 10 months in Bosnia and Croatia prior to and at the very beginning of U.S. involvement there. It's insightful, informative, and grim -very. Although it was written on the eve of WW2 it remains entirely relevant I assure you...

Cheers...

I will see if the library has it,thanks! If they don't, they are very good about utilizing the Interlibrary Loan system. I've gotten hard to find books from all over the country thanks to it.