What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just downloaded a couple of audiobooks thru my
Library to listen to while driving. I found that I love it and it takes some of the weariness away of long distance driving. It’s also free

Still reading:
The World Rushed In: The California Gold Rush Experience, by J.S. Holliday
George Washington's World by Genevieve Foster
& two gardening books

Also:
Out to Canaan by Jan Karon
Waterless Mountain by Laura Adams Armer
A Girl From Yamhill by Beverly Cleary
Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary (one chapter daily)

I often get bored after a few chapters in a book and switch to another. I eventually get through them reading a little from each every day.

Not recommending Waterless Mountain unless you have an intense driving need to know all about Navajo culture. It is a very slow moving almost completely plotless dated novel that won the 1932 Newbery Medal.

[video=youtube]

I read anything that doesn't make me
disgusted with the author's moral character, plus voracious and have an app called Librera that will talk to text anything, so I've always got a book reading to me.

That said, currently reading a strange little gem by Gene Doucette titled The Spaceship Next Door. A spaceship lands in a small Massachusetts lumber/farm area town and Does Absolutely Nothing for 3 years, to the dismay of the hastily set up military base, and a crew of rv dwelling UFOlogists, and that's where the story picks up. The main character is a savvy, practical, 16 year old girl who is like the town's Tom Sawyer. The other main character is a guy with tippy top secret backing pretending to be a reporter. Then it gets interesting. The story is like a Chinese puzzle box where a slide here and there gets you further into the puzzle. Cross Lake Wobegone with Douglas Adams. So far I'm halfway through, and it's delicious!

If you have kindle unlimited it's free, or free with an Audible trial. And there's a sequel I just found out!

Was reading the sequel to The Forge of God by Greg Bear which was a wonderful book! The sequel, Anvil of Stars, not so much. It's not often I just give up on a book and put it in the going-back-to-the-library bag by the front door.

I needed a book for my roadtrip because I caved and got into Blue Highways, so I picked up Ghost Riders by Richard Grant. The front of the book looks suspiciously like the front of Nomadland, right down to the Airstream trailer in the desert. lol Now I have to hide this one from myself because I have no self control when it comes to books.

I should get into one of my multi-book series to keep me occupied until I leave. Like the Pendergast books or something.

"A Looter's Guide to Major American Cities" XII Edition.

Very handy! :D

Right now I have a few rented from the thrift store, silly novels, the one I am reading right now is called 'The Beach House' It is about, duh, a house on the beach and some love struck lady and some not so lucky in love ladies and some fellows that are fine and some that are AHs. Not overly great or I would be there not here.

I can't wait for the library to fully open again so I can browse the books again. If a book is really good it rarely gets to the thrift store in any kind of timely manor. At least mine don't. If a book is really good from the library then I look into buying it to keep so I can read it over and over. Until I know 90% of it by heart. Seems I should check my shelves and see what next goes.....

scottrod31 said:
The Prendergast books are great

Oh yes they are!  I think my favorite is Cabinet of Curiosities.  No, Still Life with Crows.  Ok, Reliquary.  lol

Got 6 books from the library in the mail today.  One of them is Absalom, Absalom by Faulkner.  This will be my third attempt at Faulkner and I don't know if I'm going to make it.

Now Suttree by Cormac McCarthy, that's like a readable Faulkner.

I do love Southern Gothic.

Have you read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? I reread it every few years.

Yes!  But i haven't read it for a long time.  A few  months ago I took probably 2/3 of my library to the thrift store.  Kept the ones I could not bear to get rid of, gave a few boxes to a couple of my daughters.  Garden was one of the ones went to the thrift store.  I'm still heartbroken over this but things needed to go.

I am reading Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.  Wow, what a book!  One part was very difficult though.

Almost done with "Look Homeward, Angel" (haven't had a lot of time to read) really good food descriptions in there - make me hungry. Next, I'm reading some vintage sci fi - H Beam Piper's "The Cosmic Computer". I had that book when I was a kid 45 years ago or so and when I saw it selling for almost nothing on Abe Books I had to snap it up.

Cheers!

Reading “Where The Crawdad’s sing”

Pretty good

This one is in my stack of books to be read. :)

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Bastard out of Carolina and I can't shake this feeling that I'm coming up on something I really do not want to read.  Probably because of that 'difficult' scene earlier in the book.  I've never had the creeps like this reading a book before.

Cammalu said:
Reading “Where The Crawdad’s sing”
That one is on my waiting list.

Currently reading Leave Only Footprints (re national parks), January/February 2021 issue of Smithsonian Magazine, and The Night Tiger (novel; just started).  Recently finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (amuzing/touching).  Also Circe (recommended).  Enjoyed The Book of Longings, too.

wanderingsoul said:
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Bastard out of Carolina and I can't shake this feeling that I'm coming up on something I really do not want to read.  Probably because of that 'difficult' scene earlier in the book.  I've never had the creeps like this reading a book before.

I was right. :(

edit: But damn, Dorothy Allison writes so well I just went to the library website and ordered the other two books they have of hers.

I keep putting new paperbacks in the bin for the roadtrip and then fishing them back out and reading them. I think I mentioned I have no self control. Anyway, 2 books by Richard Grant and they're both awesome. Ghost Riders: American Nomads and Dispatches from Pluto. Dispatches made me want to immediately go to MS and stay for a month. I've never been to the Deep South.

Getting tired of domestic suspense but I have Kindle unlimited and they really don’t have a wide variety. I read too fast to buy individual books and can’t wait for the libraries to open again. I’m dying. I like to browse and read the first page. Lots of interesting books people are reading on here.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil came from the library today so I put it straight out in the van so I wouldn't be tempted.

I only just discovered last week that there is a little compartment next to the cup holders on both sides in back. One of them is very shallow and I don't know what it would be good for. Pocket change, maybe. The other one is deep and is perfect for 3 books, a notebook, scissors, pens. I can't go anywhere without a book, even when I know I won't be able to read it. I love having a book with me. Three is better.

LERCA. I got a library card and now I can borrow books at the library on line. I read them when I want and even rented a few audio books to listen to while traveling. It really makes a huge distance on that long, long highway.