What are you having for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not weird, lol, my parents were in love with liver :) us kids not so much haha
good meal going down for ya!!

RoamerRV428 said:
not weird, lol, my parents were in love with liver :)  us kids not so much haha
good meal going down for ya!!

Sometimes you just eat what you have. Liver is in the feezer. Got some red peppers that are still good, but not for long, a couple sweet onions that are getting tired, some leftover rice, and some milk that needs to be used.

Yesterday, I took out the leftover chicken-fried-steak, cleared out all the little leftover veggie containers, threw a couple billion cubes and a few tired tomatoes in a pot and made soup. Popped a one of those Pillsbury refrigerator baguettes in the Nuwave oven and voila! Dinner! It was actually pretty good. I really, REALLY hate shopping on the weekends in crowded urban areas.

DH is tricky to feed right now. I have to keep food light, easy to digest, and tasty. He is getting over major surgery. No appetite. Just sleeps and grumbles. But he is slowly getting better.

oh so sorry to hear about your DH....hoping he recovers in good shape and gets better fast. I know that type of situation, it ain't ever good for anyone so hoping the best for him.

oh yea I do the 'clean out the freezer and pantry' type meal times also. When money gets tight I don't want to shop not just do to crowds, but save some bucks and use what ya got......so I do the 'throw together' meals and they usually turn out ok and good, some not so good sometimes LOL

DH is doing really well. He had major back surgery, plus he just had dental surgery. But he can already tell that the back pain is gone. Feeding him is a pain, tho. Soft foods or cut in small pieces so he can chew with his molars and does not need to use incisors. He could tear the baguette, but could not eat a sandwich, yet. As much flavor and nutrition as possible. Plus, whatever it is has to leave reusable leftovers. Sometimes he will think he is starving. So, I cook a good sized portion. Half a dozen bites later, he is done. I hate wasting food.

Happy to hear a good report on your DH. Back pain is gone. Now that is a good surgery situation. Back pain in the worst and I hear many say the surgery doesn't help as great as they thought, but if he is more pain free now then he got great benefits from it!

Dental troubles. OW OW….poor guy :)

yea I hate wasting food also. every time it hits the trash I just see dollar bills landing in there.

we did Memorial Day eating yesterday since I have a contractor coming this morn to finish bedroom work.

yesterday I had a nice NY strip on the grill and a gazillion snow crab legs in butter. omg so so good.

needless to say this morning I woke up still stuffed :) so just fasting thru the day and might eat something like tuna and mayo tonight or maybe put in some chicken thighs in the oven and have a few. Food is not on my mind today :)

Roamer...Snow Crab Legs sound wonderful!!! 

Not hungry yesterday had a bit of Beef bone broth last night.

Today a burger patty with Cheddar Cheese on top and and a side of Dandelion greens cooked in Bacon. Happy Memorial Day to all of you.

Tonight will start my Mad Scientist/Trial by Error experiments in cooking in a van. Week 1 I'm using my Propane/Butane Stove for a 1pan Dinner. Keep in mind I am simulating this in my Kitchen because I have not found the MiniVan I want yet. I need the practice on this stove before I hit the road.

I decided on an easy one...2 scrambled Eggs with 2 Spring Onions and a can of Japaleno Tuna. I used the Propane and it was great...very easy and it tastes delicious.

Tomorrow night will be Burger Patties with Blue Cheese and Broccoli using Butane.

very smart to practice.

I always find the simple meal with fewest ingredients make the best meals :)

sounds good!

had scrambled eggs with bit of melty cheese in them for brunch
had a big pork chop sprinkled with Cajun seasoning for dinner

tonight is a bucketload of giant fresh shrimp we got on a fab sale :)

gonna have a shrimp fest at my house tonight. no, no one is welcome, cause I am gonna eat a ton of them HA

Good one Ding. I love me a good fast :) last one I did was 3 days and got thru ok. I hope you do well also!

today is bacon/cheese omelet later
tonight is chicken thighs (usually eat 4 )

A neighbor I regularly cook for and eat with bought some steaks. That and some quinoa and a green salad with a few random veggies diced and thrown in, rice wine vinegar dressing.

Found some rice paper rolls (think tortillas made of rice) a long time ago, and decided to get rid of them by eating them. Apparently they're invulnerable to time once dried out.

Dipped the in hot water for 10 or 15 seconds, put them on a cutting board, and stuffed with veggies and pork plus some pickled carrots/onions/cucumbers I made earlier on. Rolled them up with my inimitable, apparently uncurable, spaz clumsiness into very sloppy imitation of Vietnamese spring rolls and made a dipping sauce on the side. Had no fish sauce, just used seasoned rice vinegar, soy, and a dash of sesame oil. Whole thing came out good and fun. Just sloppy because I'm dumb.

Did learn along the line, though. One pan for warm water to rehydrate the rice wraps in, another sprayed with oil to assemble the rolls in. The cutting board clung to the rice wrappers too much for easy separation and rolling.

Sooooooo... many rice wrappers left over. How am I ever going to get through these things? Maybe I should make a big project and fridge or stick in my tiny freezer in advance.

Hubby is addicted to alfredo sauce:

Can of Prego alfredo sauce, 15 oz from the dollar store.
Can of spinach, 15 oz dollar store.
Can of sliced potatoes, 15 oz walmart
One pound Can of ham, Grocery Discount

Drain the spinach, and potatoes, dump in an oiled frying pan, cut up a 1/3 of the ham in to small slices, throw in the pant, put some water in to heat everything up, toss in half a can of the alfredo sauce, toss a few times and eat. 5$ with left over ham for another meal or two for two people.

We do a lot of these types lately. Makes a nice big plateful with out stuffing us. But why is every can of veg 15 oz now? I can't find small cans anywhere and with a cooler chest that only holds about 2 square feet of actual food stuffs, our options are cans and dry goods.

Dingfelder said:
Shouldn't be a problem with potatoes, at least.  Just grab a potato.

I would get red ones, we love them, but we don't have the facilities to rinse and clean them at dinner time, or dispose of the water from all that without people getting suspicious most of the time, we're "urban campers" for now.  

To think, I used to despise cans.  >.<;;

Latest posts