What are you having for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, great idea.  Except that the local parks are by law supposed to be empty by half hour before sunset and we don't want to time our eating by the cops and fines we can't afford.  Remember that old saying?  Moccasins, dude.

Broke my 48 hour fast with two pieces of chicken, a couple of pickled eggs, a tablespoon of coconut oil, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. An hour later, went to a get-together and snacked on the pork rinds, some pickles I had brought over earlier, and whatever meaty appetizers were around. A few hours later, came home and had a mango. Stuffed now!

Raj just enjoy all your leftovers from your 15 oz cans LOL :) another meal only to reheat is a good thing, less cooking which to me is always a blessing!!

tonight just doing bacon/cheese omelet for dinner
brunch time enjoying some beef broth and maybe some leftover shrimp with little cocktail sauce.
simple day

Hey Roamer, I’ve looked and looked and can’t find cocktail sauce without sugar, what have you found?

yea it is not an option to just buy it for me in a way cause I don't like 'sugar free' items really either LOL

all I do is use the low sugar ketchup. I buy it and it is like, if I can remember, 1/2 the sugar in a tablespoon from original ketchup?? heck I can't remember now HAHA

but I use very very little cocktail sauce cause I am not a huge fan, but I love a tiny taste of horseradish on my shrimp....so I use low sugar ketchup and horseradish and mix my own but also I use, maybe less than a tablespoon, on ALOT of shrimp cause not being a fan, but wanting a zip of that taste, I can get away with very little....and it never bothered me ever. Got no effects from what little I do use.

Jok n al have a sugar free one with like 3 total carbs, 1 from sugar and maybe 1 or 2 others have very low counts but ordering is tough, most places don't stock. Netrition online sells a ton of sugar free junk. Ever use Netriton site?

Never heard of that site, thanks.

I’m contemplating stirring a little mayo/spicy mustard/horseradish together and try that for a shrimp dip. I love cocktail sauce and use wayyy too much of it.

but ya know I find if I eat, say a pretzel, and it is X amt of carbs, but I eat a sauce like cocktail and the amt I do eat is close to that pretzel carb count, I still do very well in that I am not effected the same way...….what is wrapped around those carbs eaten make a big difference to my body. Now a carb is a carb to me for sure no matter what it comes from in general, but from eating and learning my body I know what effects me and doesn't. Pretzel carbs hold water weight from the flour etc. and I get no 'icky' feeling from cocktail sauce at all so...…..it is one of those what helps/reacts/feels to your body and ya know what you can get away with and can't :) that make sense to you, lol

Had leftover pork and chicken plus some veggies, cut thin, and cilantro rolled up in rice paper wraps, with a random-flavored light dip. The kind you get when you get Vietnamese spring rolls. I like rice paper sheets because they keep almost forever, and they serve to do the wrapping thing without adding a huge amount of carbs, since they are so thin.

I’m fasting today, no dinner for me. I had wine last night so today’s fast has been kinda miserable... I’m always hungry the day after if I eat carbs or drink alcohol.

Me too. I did that a few days ago and was pretty miserable the next day. I'm still low on ketones a few days later.

Sorry if this a repeat haven't read the whole thread yet.

Try wrapping your chicken in foil to cook with some EVOO and herbs. Then take it out near the end just to sear the outside. Super moist with a nice outside char.

been zero carb for years with very little veering from that but on this vacay trip to the beach I am on now...I had 1 spoonful of mashed taters and gravy for taste....2 spoonfuls of mac n cheese for taste and darn if that cheese wasn't delish in it....1 big bite of crunch bread from the grill with butter....4 brussel sprouts in butter....and 1 massive Cajun style pork chop.

omg I was so sick. felt like I ate a balloon I bloated up so bad. I went down for a few hours. I gotta say the junk hit my system like poison. I truly felt icky. But that is over and today was 2 sausage patties, 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and for dinner tonight we are grilling 2 beautiful small pork loins on the grill....absolutely no carbs are gonna get past these lips today HAHA I wanna feel great and energized, not sluggy and icky :) It takes very little junky food for me to feel it and react to it now. I know they can't be good for ya if you feel this darn bad after eating some of this crap LOL Every now and then I get a reminder why I do what I do :)

Pizza made with cabbage crust, the kind where you process it very fine and then squeeze out all the juice by putting it in a towel and twisting and squishing it ... then mixing it with a bunch of shredded cheese. Surprisingly good, but yeah, cheese'll do that. Angel hair pasta of a different, chewier sort, made with mung bean noodles, and regular old hamburger meatballs made with toasted almonds, caramelized onions, a couple eggs, and garlic. Sauce was just tomato paste plus a couple cans of diced tomatoes simmered down. I find that if I avoid the premade sauces, I can splurge on some nice extras, like more cheese and meat.

6 hour beef rump roast. 3hrs indirect smoked with pecan 3 hours in the dutch oven with a little margarine. 

It was an experiment. It could have been better but I was satisfied. 

20190709_160101.jpg

Attachments

• 20190709_160101.jpg
    20190709_160101.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Dingfelder said:
Pizza made with cabbage crust, the kind where you process it very fine and then squeeze out all the juice by putting it in a towel and twisting and squishing it ... then mixing it with a bunch of shredded cheese.  Surprisingly good, but yeah, cheese'll do that.  Angel hair pasta of a different, chewier sort, made with mung bean noodles, and regular old hamburger meatballs made with toasted almonds, caramelized onions, a couple eggs, and garlic.  Sauce was just tomato paste plus a couple cans of diced tomatoes simmered down.  I find that if I avoid the premade sauces, I can splurge on some nice extras, like more cheese and meat.

Cabbage or did you mean cauliflower?

XERTYX next time try doing the Dutch Oven first then the smoker. that's the way I do it. highdesertranger

Well I've never slow smoked beef. Always pork or chicken. A pork loin I always do 3 hours offset fat side up 180° turn every 30 mins for 3 hours then wrap in foil and direct over the heat fat side down 30 min 180° spin 3 hrs and I get exceptional results shredded with a fork and devils spit bbq sauce. I wanted to get a brisket but a full brisket would mean direct grilling. No offset. I'm cheating the grill I have I use bricks to make a cold side. I could have cut it in 2 and froze the rest but my freezer is full.

I even thought about trying a Pakistani nihari masala but that's usually a shank of beef or camel. I think I have some NIB nihari masala but I didnt want spicy today. And my onions were off otherwise this would have been a pot roast anyway.

I love to cook.

gwave said:
Cabbage or did you mean cauliflower?

My first one was cabbage, since their texture and water content are so similar.  Second one was cauliflower, a couple weeks later.  Haven't mastered the crust yet; still a little limp toward the middle.  Great with a fork and knife, though.  Next time I might put the already-squeezed veggie in a colander and set a weight on top of it for a while.  I think salting would work to help get some water out too, but then I would have to be very careful not to get a salt overload with toppings.

Today had fried fish cakes over a mixed salad with alfalfa and sunflower microgreens and toasted almonds.  Really good!  I'm getting into microgreens in a big way now.