NWShortyFord's Weekly Food Tally

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWShortyFord

Reaction score
I thought this might be fun. I liked the "what did you eat this week" thread and thought about starting my own. We live in Seattle, and in a wealthy part of it at that and often utilize the local food bank, given my income level it is a life saver. Since it is a very affluent part of the US we are afforded access to very high quality food for free. I have to say, since moving here my diet has gotten much more diverse and interesting. The food bank we go to allows 1 visit per week due to the high level of waste at the local stores. Most of the food isn't expired yet but the stores get rid of it ahead of the sell-by date to ensure freshness, very important for the fancy stores here. I was thinking of adding some recipes and meals I have discovered/created on the road...for instance, did you know you can make a pizza in a pan on the stove?

Feel free to post your own weekly eats. :)

Here is what the wife got this week(I had to stay home due to sinus infection)
2/24/15

.49lb Copper River Sockeye Salmon fillet
.59lb King Salmon fillet
1.80lb Ranger brand free range chicken thighs, bone in
.50 lb Green Valley prize winning smoked meat sticks(like really, really good Slim Jims.)
.25lb Boars Head, Butcher Craft beef jerky(London broil flavor)
½ Gallon 2% Milk
½ Gallon Apple juice
6 deli bagels
1/2lb 6 year aged white cheddar cheese.
½ dozen eggs
1 Macrina Bakery baguette
2 Knorr Rice packet meals
1 can Amy’s Minestrone soup
2lbs Basmati rice(amazing for Pilaf!)
2 12oz Coconut waters
1 16oz Darigold Cottage Cheese, Skim
1 24oz Darigold Cottage Cheese, 4% fat
1 Greek Yogurt
1 4-pack Ziploc containers
1 6oz bag of Paqui tortillas chips, salsa verde flavor
1 cilantro plant, 1 mint
1 avacado
5 heirloom carrots
3 Kumato tomatoes
3 onions
1 red bell pepper
1 head green cauliflower
1 head lettuce
10 tangerines
4 Navel oranges
1 box Triple Berry O’s cereal
Misc hygene items, 1 razor, 1 roll of premium TP, Tylenol, asprin, ibuprofen, q-tips and tampons.

That is some list! This month I went thru my monthly budget of food in 2 weeks. Didn't buy more expensive stuff, just ate twice as much. Cabin fever plus a lil of the winter doldrums. Can't wait for spring and getting back outside. I am putting on so much weight! Back to your food list, no idea what that would cost in a store, but you're fortunate to have access to it. All those veggies sound delicious!

Veggies I can grow, meat and fish I can't. I'm envious of all that wonderful fish and chicken you have. I would love to be able to eat that. Nice food pantry. I can't complain. I have access to what I need, even when I need to access a food pantry ever now and again. That salmon sounds glorious. Enjoy!

HarmonicaBruce said:
So what do you have to do to get free food from the food bank?  

If you need it, look it up online. It is different everywhere. Find your local food bank, talk to them in person, tell them your situation and ask them what you need to do to get the food that they provide. Sometimes you need pay stubs, sometimes you need only an ID, sometimes you need nothing other than an empty belly. Check out you local resources, don't be afraid to ask and enjoy what is given.

For us here in Seattle there are so many food banks and so many stores donating that there are food banks in every neighborhood. I only use mine, many people travel miles and use as many as they need to depending on their situation. It is a way of life for van-dwellers here. Remember, Seattle isn't cheap.

I suggest everyone who is in need try this out, this is why I am posting. Anyone who has already done this should feel free to share their experience.

HarmonicaBruce said:
So what do you have to do to get free food from the food bank?  
Bruce, where I am locally it varies by each food bank. One is based on income and assets. Another just asks questions wanting to know if you qualify for food assistance or not and demographic info. They track the answers but don't seem to turn anybody away. You also need to show proof of residency by showing recent mail, as food banks here are very area specific. Don't know what I'll do if I need to access one once I move into my van. I rarely use them, much less than I actually qualify for. Partly because I grow some veggies and sprouts and partly because it's a tiring process for me. A little more tiring than food shopping, which I don't do much of either. Actually I expect moving into my van will help in this regard. No more steps to trot bags up, only buying a little at a time to fit in a cooler. Plus being able to cook while sitting down will help me tremendously.

Anyways back to food banks, since I've been sick these past few years I've had to frequent them at times. I've been to them in two states. (I moved closer to family once I could move.) Each food bank had it's own income limits and philosophy.

I also strongly believe in only using this resource when absolutely necessary and I give back in ways I can. I grow extra food in my garden just to donate every week during my gardening season. Basically i 'pay back' in fresh organic veggies for the meat, dairy and legumes they have to offer me. Knowing how hard it is for me to go to the food bank, if I couldn't help by growing food I'd probably ask to help by bring a senior or disabled person back & forth and help them through the whole process. I do not look at it as a way to get free food just because I can.

As I have said, I qualify for much more than I actually utilize. All food banks have limited resources and if they are feeding me, they are not feeding someone else. Yes some of the food they have would go to waste if not donated, but most food banks have to have their qualifications as limits to decide who can be helped and who can't because their resources are limited. I never want to be responsible for somebody needing food and not getting it just because I found a way to get free food and free up some money for a nonessential something I wanted. At least that's the way I look at it.

Well, let's see... Here is what I had last week for my main meals.

Monday: Smoked Salmon, Potatoes O'Brien, and corn on the cob.

Tuesday: Baby Back Ribs, scalloped potatoes, green beans with bacon & pearl onions.

Wednesday: Ate out, Chinese food.

Thursday: Smoked Turkey Breast, dressing, fruit salad.

Friday: Bacon, Eggs, and hash browns.

Saturday: Bacon & blueberry waffles.

Sunday: Pepper Steak, fried potatoes, corn on the cob.

Monday: Ate out, Philly Cheese Steak & Fries.

Tuesday: Pot Roast with celery, baby carrots, green onions, green & red bell peppers, & pineapple.

Tomorrow & Thursday: Leftover Pot Roast. Yummmmm!!

Normally I only make one big meal per day, then munch on leftovers in between.

I try to eat pretty much exactly the same as if I was living in a regular house.