What are you having for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing tonight; on a 24-hour fast. Last night, a huge salad, trying to finish off some lettuce before it goes bad. Threw in anything remotely veggie I had nearby, plus some pickled eggs. I really like rice vinegar as a dressing now. Lots of flavor, not too sweet, pretty much zero calories, needs no refrigeration.

I had some jalapeno cornbread. Now I want some more. I also want pickled eggs now. :p pickled eggs are amazing.

cool on the 24 hr fast

I just did a day with broth and a can of tuna. low food intake and not quite a fast but days I eat very little or a total fast I feel wonderful but tonight I got my eye on 2 nice pork chops. Vinegar is good for ya :) rock it out Ding!

Pizza time!
20190731_130347.jpg

Attachments

• 20190731_130347.jpg
    20190731_130347.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
My oh my oh my. Carb heavy but tasty.

First off I had some leftover pizza sauce from yesterday's pizza and a little mozzarella cheese leftover as well. Then i remembered i had a package of potato gnocchi someone gave me. So i boiled the gnocchi and drained off the starchy water a few times in hopes that it wouldnt stick when I added the sauce. And cheese.

Yesterday when making the pizza dough I decided I wanted to try and make my own bread. So using a little of the yeast I started a dough and let it rise all afternoon. I put it in the fridge overnight to keep any bugs out and this morning set a cast iron skillet in the sun to warm a while then put the bowl into to pan just outta the sun and let it warm up and rise some more.

I was a little too aggressive turning the dough out into the skillet and it fell so I sat it in the sun a little longer while I was working on the fire. It didnt rise very much and after baking I thought it was gonna be a dud. The top was hard an hadnt browned. So I put it directly over the coals until I could smell it browning then flipped it and slathered with the rest of my imported French butter and browned the other side.

The gnocchi was pretty darn good but my hard lumpy bread was oh so tender in the middle and just crusty on all sides. It had more flavor than any yeast roll I've ever had in a restaurant. I was in such a hurry I didnt take pictures. But I will definitely repeat this experiment. Maybe next time I'll add some herbs and cheddar cheese to the dough and be more careful turning the dough out into the pan.

Excelsior! Bread is incredibly fun to experiment with and to eat. I'm sure you will find many great variations over time. Might I suggest wheat gluten to help the rise. Also, no-knead bread is great and works incredibly well in a cast-iron post with lid. Keep the lid on at first to help retain moisture so as to make a good crust, then take it off in the last half hour. Heat it blazing hot first, if you can, before putting the dough in. Cornmeal at the bottom makes it easier to remove.

There's something almost spiritual about bread-making, and the learning experience. It's relatively cheap, as high art goes. Don't deny yourself the experience! Even if the crust is awful, you might still be able to salvage an amazing middle.

Winco six bucks for ten pounds chicken, plus some sauteed microgreens and a vodka with basil.

pizza toppings is what I desire, the crust part I don't need LOL

nice pic of your pizza tho!!

today is broth and fasting til dinner
not in the mood to eat, hunger not around so I just go with the flow

got a hankering for a ton of nice big old shrimp and a bit of cocktail sauce. gonna eat a big mess of them tonight.
with old bay of course, zips up the flavor for me.

Another 100 degree f (not c)  day with 95% humidity here in the Ohio Valley AGAIN today.  Haven't felt much like cooking or much less eating of late but I did think of something I wanted to try.

Sardine Salad

Like a Chef's salad but it goes like this.  It is cool and sets well with the stomach. 

89 cent bag of garden salad from Aldi's

Jar of Artichoke Hearts *use 1/3 bottle refrigerate the rest)

Can of sardines in oil

thin slices of red onion

1/2 cup of yellow banana peppers (I used mild) 

thin slices of celery

Season with Season All & Garlic Salt

Dress with Zest Italian salad dressing Aldi's

Another way to prepare this would be to  start

with a bag of garden salad

red onion slices

thin sliced celery

sardines in oil

mayo

yellow mustard

lemon juice

lemon zest

salt and pepper to taste

It is quick easy full of veggies and some protein from the sardines.   And as a cool salad with a cold drink goes pretty well on a blistering hot day.

You can even chop this up fine to eat on bread as a sardine salad sandwich.  Just add some slices of tomato, cucumber,
and sprouts if you have them.

For more ideas about sardines:

Society for the appreciation of the lowly tinned sardine

RoamerRV428 said:
pizza toppings is what I desire, the crust part I don't need LOL

You reminded me of the time I had an exchange student from Japan staying with me for a few weeks. He wanted to try pizza so we got him some. It started out real weird when he ate the pizza backwards, but got even weirder when I noticed he was only eating the bare crust and throwing the delicious doughy cheesy saucy toppingy part (aka pizza!) in the trash.

Chicken soup home-made from the left-over bones and skin. Plus some chicken, of course, also carrots and onion.

Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich and French fries.I know, that just ain't right, but I got tired of the usual.

That being, in a frying pan: chopped onions, green and red peppers, green beans, chicken breast, salmon steak, or eggs for protein, and for bulk, either some hash browns, can of corn or container of brown rice. Seasoned with black pepper, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard. Cooked in olive oil. All one big mess of goo.

Oops, left out tomatoes, got to gave every day.

It's always yummy. Then a piece of bread to wipe the remaining goo from the frying pan. One dish meal when on the road, and very little cleanup needed.

Glad you loved it!!!! I so get wiping out the pan to get it all.

today is peel and eat shrimp with a smidge of cocktail sauce for brunch time later
dinner is big old ribeye on the grill, might do a bit of mushroom and maybe some asparagus with it if more hungry.

Wiping the fry pan with bread also does a fine job of getting the last bit of goo out of the pan, so cleaning is much easier. Got to take all the shortcuts when camping out.

Shrimp in the barbie sounds fantastic, but like a S&B or big rig endeavor. My van is too small to want to haul a barbecue along.

Rat na we're boondockin' in Utah, between the unbelievably spectacular Red Canyon and Bryce Canyon National Park. There are giant hoodoos right out my MH's big kitchen window! The weather is perfect - clear blue skies, a nice breeze and it's about 75 degrees where we're camped, at about 7700 ft elevation.

I just got about half a gallon of leftover seafood gumbo I made a couple weeks ago out of the freezer to thaw. I made it with a traditional Cajun medium roux - not too dark, like I'd make for a chicken and sausage gumbo. It's chock of shrimp, crab meat and fish, with okra and the trinity (chopped celery, onion and bell pepper) cooked down in a rich shrimp head and red snapper head fumet. I seasoned it with some Zatarain's liquid crab boil, Tabasco and few bay leaves. I'll cook up some cajun rice and we'll have beaucoup dinner. No french bread, so I guess I'll serve it with a little toast and butter. Ca c’est bon!

I'll get out the File', a big bottle of Tabasco and put some Professor Longhair and Dr. John on the stereo. I've got some sodapop with the foam on top (Abita Beer) chillin' in the fridge rat na. My DW and I will have us a Fais Do-Do, Cher! Laissez les bon temps roulet! Aeeeee!

Chip

Don't know who you are but sound like a NOLA expat. Someone who knows how to eat!! Mouth is watering. And Utah high country sounds beautiful right now.

Freezer, gosh. I had a freezer in my van for a while, but I had to sleep in the carrier box on the roof back then, so I dumped the freezer, :). Sometimes the van "is" a little small. And my stereo is mono.

yea I can't live without my grill.....well I can cause I would just make a fire and do all my grilling on that :)

but we have room for it all the time in the rv.

Damn Chip, that is some great yummy descriptive on your gumbo!!
YUM

rat na...lol...right now....love how you type like you speak :)

cool

today is more fasting day, no food appeal draw
beef broth with maybe a small bit of sautéed chicken over small salad with some ranch and bit of shred cheddar