What are you having for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes you can use a Dutch oven inside a regular or homemade oven. I have even used them in a BBQ with a lid.

back in the day the Basque sheepherders built on the spot ovens mostly adobe throughout northern Nevada, eastern Oregon, and southern Idaho. in the mid 1960's you could still find the remnants of a few of these ovens. however I haven't seen one in years.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yes you can use a Dutch oven inside a regular or homemade oven.  I have even used them in a BBQ with a lid.

back in the day the Basque sheepherders  built on the spot ovens mostly adobe throughout northern Nevada,  eastern Oregon,  and southern Idaho.  in the mid 1960's you could still find the remnants of a few of these ovens.  however I haven't seen one in years.

highdesertranger

Oh that's grand. My brother and I have considered converting his smoker into a hybrid bee hive mud grill sort of a thing. Where his is is downhill of rain runoff during big storms. Hes made trenches and the like to keep the grill dry but it gets flooded sometimes. We're hoping that a mud grill would work better. At any rate it needs to be redesigned. The bricks were construction remnants and not fire rated so after a few years of near daily usage they've cracked and crumbled. I tried to bake off the left over nonstick on a scratched $5 stamped wok in it and the aluminum rivets for the handle melted. It gets very hot when we're seasoning cast iron etc.

I'm going simple. Chicken ramen with diced curry chicken added.

Another very lazy day. About 10 half strips of bacon a glazed honey bun and a drinkable yogurt. Still a bit peckish might have some ramen still. Leading into bacon, cheese eggs, and hashbrowns for breakfast.

Heating up some tamales. I don't feel like cooking today. I also did not feel like working today, maybe after tamale I will have more ambition.

Forgot to post last nights dinner. Might have had something to do with with that adult beverage I had. Who can say?

Split and fried a few of my red hot dogs and cooked the rest of the hashbrowns from breakfast.

Tonight maybe some fried spam and scrambled eggs.

Chicken salad, quinoa salad, some leftover veggies.

Tomorrow night, split pea soup with stock already made, from a leftover ham hock plus some leftover chicken bones and other scraps. Will throw in some of the leftover ham, along with some carrots and onions.

Breakfast tomorrow, a protein shake. If my milk isn't frozen. I don't see any way to adjust my dometic fridge, and it gets extremely cold in any weather.

No time to post last night. I did have the spam. Around the fire and the grill pit with friends and family. One of the kids was bummed because she didnt want shrimp so I fried some spam on the grill grate for her. Bacon flavor spam to me tastes like spam. No distinction.

For tonight maybe Indian food. Chicken biryani I think.

Well last night I found a deli style take and bake pepperoni pizza marked down to $2.99 I planned to have most of that for dinner. Then I got an invite for rare filet mignon and smoke roasted bell peppers. So I wound up having steak AND pizza. Theres still half of it left. So that will likely be tonight's dinner.

Lentil soup with sausage yesterday, pea soup with ham today, the latter with some really good ham stock I made. Tasty enough that I wanted to eat it way past the point I wasn't hungry anymore. Luckily for my waistline I was able to resist ... a little. I think ham in pea soup is my favorite way to eat it.

I'm not sure I've ever had pea soup before. It looks and smells good. I'm not as big of a soup eater anymore.

Tonight maybe I'll get fancy and make myself some hors d'oeuvres. I bought some crackers and a can of smoked oysters. You may recall I dont like seafood. This is my one exception. But I only eat them when I have certain cravings. I have felt puny lately and started craving liver, rare steak, mixed nuts, and oysters. One thing they all have in common is they are good sources of iron. I satisfy these cravings when i have them and i start feeling better. The body will tell you what you need IMO. If you listen.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear someone has never tried pea soup. It's such a common thing. Reminds me of someone I know who never played cards of any kind, not once either growing up or as an adult. She took a while to get used to the difference between spades and clubs. She would lay down both together in gin rummy and think she had a run.

Oh well, it's nothing terminal. But you might enjoy it if you give it a try. It's fine vegan or with ham, either way. And dirt cheap from dried peas, which makes it great for people being careful on expenses.

Right yeah its very cheap. I'd imagine it sticks to your ribs as well. A nice full belly on the cheap. Win win.

Hi. I am just cooking wieners & baroque sauce & and mash potatoes ( cheese onion) for supper and camp fire pies ! ( pie pan great for make sandwiches & chili)! Have gr8 day,

well last night I roasted a chicken so tonight it's leftover chicken sandwiches. then tomorrow it's chicken soup. highdesertranger

Glowzwindz said:
Hi. I am just cooking wieners & baroque sauce & and mash potatoes ( cheese onion) for supper and camp fire pies ! ( pie pan great for make sandwiches & chili)! Have gr8 day,

What is baroque sauce?  Sounds ornamental!

Tonight had a chicken pot pie that a friend made.  Various people around will invite each other for dinner and sometimes share interesting left-overs, so today I was the lucky one.

barbeque sauce. funny thing until you mentioned it I was reading barbeque sauce not baroque sauce. highdesertranger

I think tonight will be plain old bologna sandwiches. Red ring bologna of course. With dukes mayonnaise. There are few things I only buy a specific brand of but mayo is an exception. Bologna has to be the red ring type, hotdogs have to be red hotdogs. Sriracha has to be the rooster sauce or crying tiger brand if you can find it.