well i went and did it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, can't wait to see how it turns out! The only thing i would do different is get a rear door that I could pull open with nice struts so i could put some snaps around the door and hang a tent cabin around it for a nice shower or to sit under while it's raining.

Sounds good HDR.I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years.

shadowmoss that's to funny. the only problem with that is I would have to buy another tow vehicle and that ain't going to happen.

Texas, I am not anti heater like I am anti AC. but I diffidently don't like to sleep with a heater running at night. I do like to take the chill off at night before bed and in the morning when I wake up, also when I take a shower. so I am planning a wood burner.

highdesertranger

:cool:  Good for you!!!  Can't wait to see it at RTR 2020, hope you will be giving tours!!

tours what a great idea, a buck a head. hey I got to pay for it somehow. just kidding.

come on by I will show you around. those that have been to my camp can tell you there is a lot to take in.

highdesertranger

Every camp & most homes up north had wood fired saunas, nothing like it. Opens the pores, keeps you well, takes away colds, & makes you feel like you got 4 hours of sleep. You build a mesh cage on a small stove fill with stones from a creek or river ot they'll explode when they get hot. I'd use a 15 gal SS beer keg with one end cut out open end on top, weld a pipe near the top & bottom & thru the wall of the stove in the back so it creates a siphon effect so when fired up the water in the keg would boil & we always had hot water. Also had a $10 12v pump for cold or warm water showers. Up their men, women sauna together even families. Old Finnish tradition totally non sexual. The advantage is you're the cleanest you will ever be, feel great on hardly any water at all.

highdesertranger said:
thanks everyone.

yep Gr8ful going to run the same LT tires that are on my 1 ton dually truck.

yeah Karen a couple of them got very argumentative about their precious OSB.  like it was the best thing since sliced bread.  they tried to tell me OSB could do everything but none of them could answer my question with a yes.  I would ask them if it's so great do they make Marine OSB?

Jim funny you should bring that up.  I have several leads on inexpensive panels when I get ready to pull the trigger I am going to ask for some guidance.  I can get a lot of panels on that roof.

highdesertranger

How about the same panel that is on my truck for a unbelievable price. I'll PM you

HDR When did I say this about tires? " as per HDR "yep Gr8ful going to run the same LT tires that are on my 1 ton dually truck". Here's what I was speaking of G Rated Trailer Tire | etrailer.com
https://www.etrailer.com/search/G+Rated+Trailer+Tire
Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,400-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels. specifications and exceeds FMVSS
HDR So why not tell the truth? There's a lot of folks on this forum that know what they're talking about but only your word is fact? I'm sure I'll get demarits for not taking every word you say as fact. My whole career was in the lumber business. So how many demerits this time for stating the facts this time? I really hope you don't run LTs on a duelly 1 ton.

HDR "yeah Karen a couple of them got very argumentative about their precious OSB.  like it was the best thing since sliced bread.  they tried to tell me OSB could do everything but none of them could answer my question with a yes.  I would ask them if it's so great do they make Marine OSB?"

HDR Do you even know what marine grade plywood is? I'd have nothing but .060 KDAT foundation grade treated on the floor as marine is just non treated fir plywood with smaller voids & ext glue. Osb has no voids & exterior glue.One will rot from the bottom just the same as the other. Here's the link to the spec on marine plywood. HDR IMHO you seem to be long on opinion & short on facts.Here's your marine PW facts.
http://www.roseburg.com/Product/abmarine/

highdesertranger ....you have seen so many post about builds that I have no doubt your decision making process for what you want for your build will be a cake walk into town :) So many great ideas floating around in the threads but some of them will always resonate more than others. What fun you will have making your visualized dreams come to life. Then sitting by that cozy woodstove fire and seeing it come together day by day.

:)  Hello HDR.  Geat news about your new trailer.  When I saw it I wondered if you were changing trucks too.  

My dually was a 1981 GMC with a 454 & 4 on the floor.  I pulled  a 40ft Loadcraft flat bed trailer with it.  The only truck I ever liked better belonged to my dearly departed husband, a 1971 F250 Custom Camper Special, two tone blue.

How long do you think your build will take?

Jewell Ann and QUEENIE

the build will take awhile. I am going to be short of funds for awhile. the plan is to have the solar and electrical system and bed in by the next RTR.

I have heard all the propaganda from tire sales people about how this or that trailer tire is far superior that anything else. highest load rating, strongest sidewall, all the farmers use them for their implement tires, all the ranchers run them on their stock trailers, this is the tire they use on heavy haul trailers. B.S. I have ruined them all. I have much better luck running LT tires, I will run the same tires as my 1 ton truck, you can run the trailer tires.

if you want to go with OSB, fine. I said "I" would never use it. if you think it's great stuff good for you go build a boat with it.

highdesertranger

Wrong info again, I said I'd use treated foundation .060 KDAT(kiln dried after treatment) plywood on the floor as the marine will rot as easy as OSB. I also said I tried a set of trailer tires once & they worked well. I was just giving you a heads up on chinese trailer tires so you could have them install US made tires as you claim to use US made products same as I do. Please get the facts straight, Thanks!

^^^So it sounds like you use plywood too and not OSB. Your original post on this made it sound like you were using OSB. I found OSB to flake rather rapidly compared to plywood myself. The only place I use OSB now is in the attic for flooring.

highdesertranger said:
B.S. I have ruined them all. I have much better luck running LT tires, I will run the same tires as my 1 ton truck, you can run the trailer tires.

You are not alone in this.
The 3500 Dodge trucks used to fit the same pattern as the Horse trailer.
(LAST time I ever bought those crummy trailer tires. The boneyard purchased Kumho worn out skins off that old Dodge lasted longer than any of the heavy duty trailer stuff I used. Pretty Ram chrome rims, too. It did not handle weird. Gripped better, if any different. One horse or four...same results.)

Oh yeah...and glad to hear you are making indoor shelter for yourself.
:)
Looking forward to seeing build pics.
Hope you go with some extra solar.
Electric fridge??
LOL ;)
Torture chamber??
Vladislav says you should have one=

let me try to clear this up. I am not talking smack on anyone.

I never said I was using or wanted Marine plywood. I said I didn't want OSB and that they don't make Marine OSB. big difference there.

I also am very familiar with junk Chinese tires weather they are trailer tires or not. I only buy made in USA LT tires. Goodyear, BF Goodrich, and Cooper all have made in the USA LT tires. I am sure there are others but these are the one that I know of. my point was I have tried all types of trailer tires recommended by so called trailer tire experts and I ruined them all. I am hard on tires.

highdesertranger

IMHO I'd use the treated plywood I mentioned but I'd scrap your idea of 4 miles of exhaust pipe as I think that was just plain stupid :)

you have to loosen up and realize when someone is using an exaggerated example. you can't really believe that I was serious, can you. highdesertranger