well i went and did it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
so as many of you know I sleep outside or under a tarp or in a tent(rarely anymore).  but this year between the RTR and our little prospecting expedition after the RTR I got my butt kicked.

maybe it's because I am getting older and the old bones just don't move like young ones or maybe I am just getting soft in my old age.   whatever the reason(and I have said I was going to do this for a few years).  I put a down payment on a cargo trailer.

this is not just any cargo trailer but a built to my specifications cargo trailer.  this will be my base camp.  sorry no pics yet but they will come.  some specs,

8.5' wide,  8' tall(inside),  24' long box
two 6K rated axles,  spring over axle(over slung),  brakes on both axles
de-rated to 9995lbs on VIN
LED lights
Delete side door
diamond plate rock guard
delete dove tail
extended triple tube tongue
12k tongue jack
adjustable height hitch with Bull Dog 2-5/16 cast collar lock hitch(rated at 15K)
rear barn doors
walk on roof
interior plywood walls loos not installed
8 lug 16 inch wheels
delete interior lights
delete roof vents

so I will have one hell of a big trailer that is a blank slate.  the front half will be my house and the back half my garage.  I have a 4-6 week wait for the build.  pics will come when I pick it up and a build thread will follow.  I have to work my ass off this year.

highdesertranger

Hey HDR. That's awesome!

So this may be a silly question, but are the "delete" items available options that you just opted not to get?

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Congrats, Mike! Can't wait to see what you do to it!

Woo Hoo, so exciting for you. That is a very generous living space/garage.

Got be excited, Mike, cool! I'll be watching the build thread for sure. Congrats!

congrats! how exciting to have such a large, blank canvas.  
looking forward to thread & pics.

Very cool!  I look forward to hearing about all your building choices.  Give us an idea of your initial thoughts?  What are your goals for the build?

abbreviations used in this post,
OSB = Oriented Strand Board
DOT = Department Of Transportation

the deleted items come standard. I will add roof vents, a side door, and interior lights myself. I had them delete those so I can install them exactly where I want them. the dove tail I don't need at all.

Carson Trailer is building it. there manufacturing facility is in Gardena, CA. they have outlets though out the west. it's funny but they are the only manufacturer that would do exactly what I wanted. the other 4 or 5 would hem haw around and say, "We can't do that" and "that's against DOT regulations". none of the other manufacturers would delete the OSB, believe me when I say, I had some colorful conversations about OSB.

Carson was not the cheapest nor were they the most expensive but they did everything I asked for.

the other ones I looked at were,
Pace
Interstate
Look
Trailer Factory Outlet
and another that I can't recall at the moment

highdesertranger

Congratulations Mike! You lasted longer sleeping outside than most of us ever could.
Hard to believe that the manufactures would give you a hard time about using plywood instead of OSB. That was one of the things we stipulated too.

I just sold a 26' Care Mate with living quarters in the front, sold new for almost $30k. I sold it for $3K in mint shape. it was a heavy trailer & I had planned on using my 12 valve Cummins 12' flatbed to pull it until I found the ambo. The 7K axles & 16" trailer tires are dirt cheap here at the surplus places. I had a friend in Goshen sold the 7k brake axles new for $100 & new tires with nice wheels chrome centers for $50. I tried a set on my truck & it tracked better than any other rire I've tried even if chinese made. HDR you better upgrade to US tires. I put those axles/tires on every trailer I had as they were the same size as all my trucks. Enjoy the new trailer!

thanks everyone.

yep Gr8ful going to run the same LT tires that are on my 1 ton dually truck.

yeah Karen a couple of them got very argumentative about their precious OSB. like it was the best thing since sliced bread. they tried to tell me OSB could do everything but none of them could answer my question with a yes. I would ask them if it's so great do they make Marine OSB?

Jim funny you should bring that up. I have several leads on inexpensive panels when I get ready to pull the trigger I am going to ask for some guidance. I can get a lot of panels on that roof.

highdesertranger

Cool...but inquiring minds want to know, what color is it? Digital Desert Camo would be my guess! 

I will be doing a look-see sometime and I will be making sure there is no heater inside. I know you are anti-heater.  :p 

BTW, I 'went and did it' also…I bought a little travel trailer.

Hey, sometimes comfort matters!