well i went and did it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny....if  you take the trailer in to most tire stores, they wont mount anything but a trailer tire on your rims, but if you take the wheels off, and carry them in, most shops will mount car or LT tires on your trailer rims. 

Liability, they say.

I run regular car tires on my little 5x8 flatbed motorcycle hauler, they are a helluva lot cheaper and last a lot longer too. 

Small ST tires are kinda junky, in my opinion, for whatever that is worth.

x2 Texas. yes I take them off and take them in. that way I don't have to listen to the tire expert. highdesertranger

There is the "marine" plywood that is sold in lumber yards. That marine designation is more about the glue they use than the materials being naturally rot resistant. Then there is the "real marine use" q plywood that is actually sold by specialty plywood suppliers that gets used for boat building. This is the list of the boat building plywood sold by Edensaw, a Pacific Northwest company started by a couple of Kiwis who sailed into Port Townsend, WA and decided to stay and open a business supplying lumber to the local wooden boat builders.  I have been purchasing the "real marine use" plywoods from them for 25 years.  Coincidentaly my friend drove me by one of the large birdhouse I used to make and sell. It has been in that customer's front yard year around in the rainy Seattle  for  23 years now and is still holding up nicely. If I had used the lumberyard marine plywood it would not have made it much past 5 years.
http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Sto.../1/Home/documents/marine_plywood_linecard.pdf
Here is a photo of that birdhouse that was built with true marine quality, rot resistant wood plys and water proof glue for the laminations.
It has never been repainted. I took this photo of it last summer when it was 22 years old. It is pretty amazing plywood The brown wood trim is Western Red Cedar, it too holds up to long term outdoor use :)
ballard birdhouse closeup.jpg

Attachments

• ballard birdhouse closeup.jpg
    ballard birdhouse closeup.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 15
Congrats my friend!! Good luck and I'm excited to see what you can do with something like that. Lots of room for solar panels!

highdesertranger said:
I am not anti heater like I am anti AC.

I'm going to park right next to you!  Muahahahahah!!

I can hardly wait to see it!  You've suffered a lot of weather abuse this year!

maki2 said:
There is the "marine" plywood that is sold in lumber yards. That marine designation is more about the glue they use than the materials being naturally rot resistant. Then there is the "real marine use" q plywood that is actually sold by specialty plywood suppliers that gets used for boat building. This is the list of the boat building plywood sold by Edensaw, a Pacific Northwest company started by a couple of Kiwis who sailed into Port Townsend, WA and decided to stay and open a business supplying lumber to the local wooden boat builders.  I have been purchasing the "real marine use" plywoods from them for 25 years.  Coincidentaly my friend drove me by one of the large birdhouse I used to make and sell. It has been in that customer's front yard year around in the rainy Seattle  for  23 years now and is still holding up nicely. If I had used the lumberyard marine plywood it would not have made it much past 5 years.
http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Sto.../1/Home/documents/marine_plywood_linecard.pdf
Here is a photo of that birdhouse that was built with true marine quality, rot resistant wood plys and water proof glue for the laminations.
It has never been repainted. I took this photo of it last summer when it was 22 years old. It is pretty amazing plywood The brown wood trim is Western Red Cedar, it too holds up to long term outdoor use :)

Marine as I posted & linked too is Fir, smaller 1/8" voids & exterior glue same as CDX, AC & Birch cabinet grade has interior glue. Treated used to be good but reg treated is now .025 non ground contact. So the best is .060 foundation grade kiln dried after treatment.

highdesertranger said:
[edited for brevity]

...this will be my base camp....

8.5' wide,  8' tall(inside),  24' long box
two 6K rated axles,  spring over axle(over slung),  brakes on both axles
de-rated to 9995lbs on VIN
adjustable height hitch with Bull Dog 2-5/16 cast collar lock hitch(rated at 15K)
walk on roof
interior plywood walls
8 lug 16 inch wheels
delete roof vents...

[snip]

[ applause! ]
Based on our experience, holes in the roof are a bad idea.

Your dimensions are yuge compared to our rig.
We are three paces across by seven paces long... 7.5 x 12.5 with a ceiling about five inches taller than me.

I think you may quickly approach your GVWR.
The closer you get to maxing the components, the earlier they tend to fail.

Whoa that is VERY COOL! I envy you BIG TIME! Ive been trying to find an extended van and pull a trailer converted into a music studio and live in the van. I dont know who you are but I assume this size trailer is parked somewhere stationary? I can't possibly see it being pulled unless you got enough moving power and the money for the. 

Mario.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats!! Hope to see build pics soon

It does stay parked for extended times. But i take it all over, it's in Arizona at the moment in about a month and a half i will head for Oregon for the summer. Highdesertranger

No I am working on the trailer. Been here about a month. To much work but the kitchen is in, the water system is in, the heater is in, I am working on the propane system as we speak. I will update just haven't had the time I could sure use a picture taker, LOL. Highdesertranger

I can snap photos. Are you close to Q? I have a few books to lend you anyway.

I didn’t say that I can snap GOOD photos...