Wearing a mask now we are opening?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullfrog

Reaction score
I learned gun safety and a "golden rule" at a very young age.  I was allowed to have a gun as soon as I could hold one with the promise I would never point it at anything I didn't intend to shoot and kill, loaded or unloaded, even accidently.  I was told that one time and one time only and agreed.  I went soon after shooting with my uncles and after emptying the cylinder of the large pistol I was tapped on the shoulder from behind by one of my uncles which made me spin around by instinct pointing the empty gun accidentally at one of my uncles.  When I woke up laying on the ground after being pistol whipped, I had a cut that made a nice scar on my head just like all my uncles had.  Recently I was lectured about individual rights after explaining wearing a mask is necessary to protect the people you accidently get within 6' of getting the virus you may not even know you have, and that if both individuals are wearing a mask there is a very good chance neither will get sick and possibly dying and we can get things open sooner.  It seems there are lots of people that need to have a scar to remind them of important lessons, after all scars are just a tattoo with a story.

I don't wear one when I'm someplace I know I will be alone, although after seeing many cases are from people who stay home it makes you wonder if they wear one when dealing with deliveries or packages coming in from the outside. My biggest beef is the very people that want to reopen sooner are the very ones that are yelling in peoples faces without social distancing and using masks, how does that make any sense? Yelling and physical activity dramatically increases the distance required to stay safe.

bullfrog said:
Snip..... Yelling and physical activity dramatically increases the distance required to stay safe.

Anyone raising their voice and waving frantically to make a point, has nothing of importance to say. I tune them out and walk away.

I wear a mask to keep your germs out of my face. (also to keep those self-proclaimed MD's without a mask from seeing my smirk).

I don’t wear a mask to walk the dog, do keep one in the car and wear it into any shopping I have to do.

Out of respect for others I might infect, should I be an asymptomatic carrier.

It’s a small thing for anyone to contribute to slow the spread of a deadly virus, it seems to me.

Most stores where I live are firmly requiring masks for shoppers to come inside.

Bullfrog,

You wrote "after seeing many cases are from people who stay home it makes you wonder if they wear one when dealing with deliveries or packages coming in from the outside." I have wondered about that myself. How many people who have stayed home and/or worn masks are getting sick anyway?

Would you please give a source for this? Thanks!!

^
Maybe you should be since TX has seen a surge in new COVID cases.

Hang in there bro...

I have found a good source of information to be the New York governor's daily briefing on YouTube carried by PBS or NBC. He mentioned it the other day along with the fact surprisingly that front line workers tested had a lower infection rate than the general population, basically proving PPE used properly works. Testing is still not up to a level it needs to be but they are starting to see some trends.

Acting responsibly by cooperatively wearing a mask and doing sanitizing of my hands is not a violation of any of my constitutional rights. I know sneezes happen as do sudden coughs, they can happen to all of us. I know I can be contagious before symptoms appear if I do acquire the virus.

I wear a mask when out in public. Yesterday I went to the grocery store. After I had walked through the soap aisle I was standing and looking into the meat section and suddenly sneezed close to the packages of meat. Sudden sneeze I did not even feel it coming on or have time to put my face into my arm. Those perfumes in the detergent aisle can set me off with a sudden reaction to the chemical irritation. Fortunately no other customer was anywhere close by. That would have shocked them to see me sneeze. I was truly grateful that I had taken effort to wear a good quality mask despite the inconvenience and discomfort. It is hot to wear, I don't like doing it but it is the right thing to do at this point in time so I do it anyway. I am currently doing stay at home in Seattle while finishing my build. There is still plenty of Covid 19 going around that is creating community transmission situations.

Be safe, be aware, take care of yourself and be considerate about reducing risk to others too.

Stargazer said:
Bullfrog,

You wrote "after seeing many cases are from people who stay home it makes you wonder if they wear one when dealing with deliveries or packages coming in from the outside." I have wondered about that myself. How many people who have stayed home and/or worn masks are getting sick anyway?

Would you please give a source for this? Thanks!!

I used to meet all my delivery people - living where I do, 80% of my shopping is online because there's no local resources - and now I don't. They drop off on the stoop, once they have left, I go out, get the package, take it to the porch, open, disinfect, bring items inside. The first two weeks of the state of emergency, my postal carrier had no PPE. I left some in the mailbox for her. I got a note back thanking me for not only the items, but respecting her & her family's safety by changing my routine. I double-check I've shut off the coffee maker before I leave the house. I do a walk around inspection of my vehicles before I drive off. I wash my hands after using the bathroom. The few minutes extra involved in all of these things is minor compared to the alternative. YMMV.

sneaks said:
I used to meet all my delivery people - living where I do, 80% of my shopping is online because there's no local resources - and now I don't. They drop off on the stoop, once they have left, I go out, get the package, take it to the porch, open, disinfect, bring items inside. The first two weeks of the state of emergency, my postal carrier had no PPE. I left some in the mailbox for her. I got a note back thanking me for not only the items, but respecting her & her family's safety by changing my routine. I double-check I've shut off the coffee maker before I leave the house. I do a walk around inspection of my vehicles before I drive off. I wash my hands after using the bathroom. The few minutes extra involved in all of these things is minor compared to the alternative. YMMV.

Exactly.

I'm gonna let other people exercise their constitutional rights to get sick and infect the ones they love. I'm going to be wearing a mask in public ([font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]and all the other things) [/font]until there's one or more effective treatment protocols. I expect that means until the end of the year, but no matter how long it takes - I'll be doing them.

I am happy to wear my mask in public. But wearing a mask all the time is not only stupid it is dangerous. The common "germs" we pick up in breathing help to strengthen our immune systems. When I walk outside I have my mask around my neck and the moment I see someone coming I put it in place. What I laugh about are the people that wear the mask while driving alone, or sitting in their living room alone, and while hiking in the forest with a spouse etc. Apparently there are many who do this. (my wife (seperated) is one of them). I believe that fresh air is very healthy for us unless we are near others, really even more than the recommended 6 feet should be masked for the time. The excessive use of masks is a sign of the ignorance and fear that many have. But by all means in public wear that mask.

Agreed, though I do wear my mask in the car, it saves me having to deal with putting it on as I'm getting out of the truck when I get to my destination. I don't glove up until I'm outside of the vehicle, and I remove them before I touch my vehicle, saves having to wipe it down. I carry two ziplocks with me - one for my used gloves so I can safely dispose of them, one to put my mask in for the ride back. This is the same procedure we have been instructed to follow by my state EMS board. There's no reason - unless someone has been exposed without PPE or proper precautions - to wear one at home. I did wear one for two weeks when a paramedic I worked with regularly was tested positive, to protect my better half, but that is exception and not the norm.

I always wear a mask in public places.It improves my looks so much.

The Blackberry's are in bloom here where I live and a lot of people are allergic.

When I was at a grocery store last week the girl who gives people a wiped off shopping cart was telling me she saw this woman
sneeze in her mask so hard that one of her flip-flop's looked like it blew right off her foot.

I started wearing masks when in grocery etc stores April 12th. I had just finished my mandatory 14 day quarantine (BC demanded it way before it was  Cdn federally mandated) and needed groceries.

The first masks I made ( I gave away several), had a permanent washable filter sewn in. The new pattern I use now has a pocket for a nose wire and uses an insert-able disposable filter. I made a batch of them for one of my sons who lives in an urban area and have just completed enough to do me for work for when I get to start my summer job sometime in June. Ha, they even match my costuming - got to be fashionable about this!

I gladly wear them, no anxiety about it at all.

I suspect that we'll be wearing them for a good long time.

I have been wearing masks since 2017, due to desert dust that can carry Valley Fever and allergens. Since the dust can hang out in the vehicle's HVAC system, I wear the mask in the vehicle.
Only diff is that now I leave the mask on when I go into a store.
The other diff is that when I go into a store, I can't always get what I want nor can I get what I need.

We have been in campgrounds for most of this. We don't wear masks at our own campsite but put them on when walking the dogs or going into any store or anytime there are people we cannot be at least 6 feet away from. Sometimes we carry them because no one is around but have them handy to put on if we see someone approaching.

A Florida man was interviewed in his hospital bed in ICU. He said he was one of the ones yelling "hoax" and "no need for masks, etc." and now he and his wife are both in ICU and his wife is on a ventilator. He pleaded with the audience to not be stupid like he was and tried to get across how very bad this virus is. True, some healthy people get it and it is only slightly worse than a bad flu for them but it varies by person.