Wearing a mask now we are opening?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct Ms Crofter. It was actually somewhat difficult to get the actual death counts by "age group", as I think many states are trying to cover up the numbers. So, after a bunch of searching, those 80, 80 averages I gave were for CA,NV,AZ,TX,WA, and FL.

Also, there were reports on nightly news a couple of weeks ago about how nursing homes do account for 30-50% of deaths in "some" states. Crowding and less than adequate care. (I plan to die in the desert). Where there are stats, they do indicate that most > 60 YO who died did have chronic health problems, but so do probably 80% or more of everyone over 60, and just about everyone on this forum from my observations. Fact of life.

The only time I've worn a mask is when I entered a business that asked me to, but most haven't asked.

iamk said:
The only time I've worn a mask is when I entered a business that asked me to, but most haven't asked.
Sorry to hear thst, iamk.
-crofter

I went to the grocery store last night and shopped wearing my mask, granted it was quieter than rush hour shopping, but i didn't see another customer wearing a mask, i was actually shocked how quick people revert back, like they have immunity.  All the staff are still required to wear one and they were.  I wear my mask as much for others as i do myself.

My doctor recommended i take a D3 and multivitamin years ago and it has helped decrease the number trips to the doctor for cough and colds. I have been really pleased with my smart VA doctors.

Random Painted Highway said:
I went to the grocery store last night and shopped wearing my mask, granted it was quieter than rush hour shopping, but i didn't see another customer wearing a mask, i was actually shocked how quick people revert back, like they have immunity.  All the staff are still required to wear one and they were.  I wear my mask as much for others as i do myself.
Smart. It also pays to look at the covid statistics for the area you are in. The numbers are still going straight up in most of the country.

We are still wearing masks and I had my temperature taken at a large chain store yesterday. A few places are open but just as many are not. A few allow curb pick up. We are not going back to the old “normal” for a long time. We are still required to wear masks everywhere except open trails.

In some parts of the world wearing a mask on public transport or in areas where a lot of people gather is considered personal hygiene, like slapping on sunscreen. Even if you are not worried about corona virus there are plenty of other viruses you can catch, get sick or even die from so not a bad habit to get into, especially on public transport, in large stores/ malls, in groups, on busy city streets, maybe at church. They make very fashionable masks these days, it could be a fashion statement if you are worried about looking silly.

slow2day said:
"Crifter" has hijacked an account!
Combination of fat fingers and can't find glasses for spell checking. I get quite a few laughs after I find my glasses. Not sure who that crifter person is who has so many spelling errors though.
-crofter

At the present time I do appreciate it when I go into a store when people are wearing a mask. I put on one for their sake and my own sake. I actually do have an couple of N95 mask I reserve for times when I might have to go into a really crowded location or to the doctor's office. I already have had them on hand in my pile of filters I use when woodworking. But for the grocery store or hardware store trips that would be more than is needed as I don't go into the store if it is really busy. After all these weeks of stay-at-home people in Seattle for the most part are now in the habit of keeping a decent social distance and being careful to do so when going into stores.

Except of course for the protest going on where things are often jam packed with lots of shouting out of chants and such.

On the news tonight, they showed protests going on in both Japan and New Zealand. In the Japan video, every single person of the many hundreds shown were wearing masks. In NZ, no one was. 

Of note, Japan has reduced new covid cases to 50/day (down from 800 peak), while in NZ, they have reduced the number of new cases daily to zero. It is possible if done right. In the US, we're still at 25,000 new cases/day.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/