We need rain in Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florida boondocker

Reaction score
Wildfires causing SWWM boondock sites to be closed 

open fire banned in state & county parks

working to hard and need a bug out place for a cargo trailer for a few days

Central Fl area

One just popped up about a mile from our condo, started at one acre and seems like within minutes it's a eight. Crazy!

abnorm said:
There's 5,000 acres burning on the wildlife refuge on Merritt Island in Brevard County

My old favorite motorcycling route with my dad.  And not the first time it's burned, there are still some charred places showing from the last time.

LeeRevell said:
We Floridians are supposed to get some rain today (Sunday - 4/23/17).
But it will be spotty.

I figured after Matthew there would be no drought, things would stay nice and wet, and no more wildfires.  When I lived on the gulf side in the early 90's it seemed like it rained every single afternoon.  Things sure got dryer.

This is pretty normal for Florida. Unlike most areas which have a four-season climate (winter, spring, summer, autumn), Florida has a tropical two-season climate (wet and dry season). Many of Florida’s grasses and herbaceous plants die back to their roots during the winter to deal with the lack of rain. This creates a layer of combustible fuel on the ground, and as the early thunderstorms begin the rainy season in spring, lightning strikes often set this ablaze, producing wildfires that can sweep across large areas. Most of Florida’s habitats have become adapted to periodic wildfires.

LeeRevell said:
It comes in cycles.  Last couple years were wet, before that we had some drought years.  Life goes on.

Figures, the recent year and a half we were there was wet as hell, like the entire month of July it rained... now that we're going back I'm sure it will rain again, so there hope!   :D

Sorry, it was the West Coast's year for rain. You'll get yours during hurricane season.

Queen said:
Figures, the recent year and a half we were there was wet as hell, like the entire month of July it rained... now that we're going back I'm sure it will rain again, so there hope!   :D

Bring it on! We can use it. Though, the lower humidity right now feels good. Not as muggy as usual.

LeeRevell said:
Bring it on!  We can use it.  Though, the lower humidity right now feels good.  Not as muggy as usual.

Be ready, two weeks in mid July, then permanently in October, it should be flooding like a mofo.

Yep, disappointed here too. The closer it got, the less it was. Maybe better luck next time.
But the nice thing was today (Monday) the weather was amazingly cool and overcast. Felt wonderful after the recent heat. Been high ninties, today it was sixties to low seventies. Felt like early spring again!

I'm in va and have had 36 hours of slow rain with 18 more hours left to come. the rivers are up and some roads are flooding out. If i could i would sned you the rest of what were getting.

It is normal for Florida this time of year. During our winter we have all the snowbirds come down and drink our water hahahaha well...they use it up let's say? Rather than April Showers, we have May showers and then hurricane season/summer begins and it rains every afternoon like clockwork...hopefully refilling our reservoirs. Some of the changes in years has been the upper States blocking the water flow down to us. But also we haven't had a hurricane in 11 years (and I pray not one this year: projection is for a less active season than last year yay yay yay!)

The fires are tough yes...and in South Florida (not to be confused with designations like "South Africa"---we are still part of Florida)... the melaleuca tree's seeds are spread by fire...and it's drinking the water too (which is why it was brought here in the first place, to dry up the everglades for land development :( ) But the fires also kill the pythons in the glades ...

gotta take the bad with the good for now?

But if central Fl continues to need rain, we can pray the tropical storms to go into there ;)

finally we're getting a little rain

still have a fire ban and SWWM still has boondocking site closed in 16 counties

hopefully they will reopen and the fire ban lifted soon

spent 3 days at seminole state forest jumper campsite ( still open ) but no fire

missing my campfire baked potatos

Watched the NSB web cam today and it looked like it was really coming down. Good deal.