VW says it will build the new microbus.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not sure about the buss but thats sure a cool toaster

Drooool. If I could put enough solar panels on it to charge the batteries enough to drive 100 miles per day. This could be a good retirement van for traveling slowly and cheaply! I have been driving VWs for most of my adult life and just love them.

If it's anything like the New Beetle it will be plastic and fall apart and sold on name and icon only.

100% electric vehicles are currently limited to local trips for the long range travel ability is simply not there.
They are a toy for the wealthy or short range commuters / errand runners right now.
For those manufacturers with a charging network, you cannot stray far off the "beaten path" which being interpreted means Interstate Highways.

Until electric recharge stops become as widespread as gasoline stations, 100% electric is only a toy.

IMHO a rechargeable Hybrid is the current best travel answer right now.
VW would do well to offer this power train option on their new Van if they want some serious sales numbers.

Dave

What is really crazy about electric cars is the fact that you have to plug them into an outlet that gets electricity from a coal fired or nuclear power plant.  Boy that really helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this will be perfect for city dwellers, if the price is right.

closeanuf, You have to plug them in but the power doesn't have to come from coal fired or nuclear power plants. It could come from wind, solar, biomass, or hydro but these days, it is most likely to come from a plant that burns natural gas. I think only around 30% of our power comes from coal.

Yes, it's a pity that they can't marry solar roof panels to the battery charger. Someone needs to invent solar panels that work like a magnifying glass, multiplying the power.

i was watching How Its Made on TV they showed how they make one of those Regenerative breaking units, it looks to me like a brake job is gonna be a dealer only job, i wouldn't be surprised if it costs over a grand a corner.

TrainChaser said:
Yes, it's a pity that they can't marry solar roof panels to the battery charger.  Someone needs to invent solar panels that work like a magnifying glass, multiplying the power.

I don't think that works like that....

Solar is not currently efficient enough to power a car. And recharging takes time. And batteries are expensive. And the electricity comes from a plant somewhere. Solar cars are not the future. Perfecting the hydrogen car ought to be the future.

I think solar could be a good final goal but panel efficiency and battery efficiency would have to improve. Hydrogen in the mean time probably is what would work best. I once heard of a guy who converted a car to hydrogen and then built some kind of system to create hydrogen from solar power. It took a lot of solar to create the hydrogen though and he could only refuel at home.

A hydrogen VW bus though would be amazing!

i wouldn't be suprized if panels are 30% more efficient in less then 10 yrs

Hydrogen comes with it's own issues, number one is that it doesn't occur naturally in a useable form. It takes energy to pull hydrogen out if other forms of energy.
Hydrogen is difficult to store and difficult to transport.

No, it is NOT the fuel of the future. I do agree that electric or hybrid technology is simply a step to the future but it is NOT the long term solution either.

If I only knew what that future fuel is........ $$$$

Dave

That electric bus would be cool (not for me) although great for pushing a wider variety available (for deeper pockets).

quote> 100% electric vehicles are currently limited to local trips for the long range travel ability is simply not there.

GM killed the electric car in the 90's. I was one of 50'ish chosen drivers for the EV1. GM paid for a charging unit in my garage, and for two weeks I keep a recorded journal. GM crushed all those vehicles. Blast to drive. Limited, yes, however, we have to start somewhere. Standard charging methods globally need to be narrowed down.

Now again GM is back with the Bolt EV -- 238 electric miles. A bit high in price for the everyday Joe, however, that's how things go with most advancements.

Couple weeks ago, came across a young man on youtube dragging his electric Tesla against big boy blocks. AMAZING speeds in the end. Again, too pricey for now.

The man likes their money over invention. Which brings me to:

Maybe I should post this line in the "you ain't right" thread (lol): I saw a UFO in 1997; utterly completely silent...f'n massively big. I will never forget it. I was working driving semi that night. You know when you see it, not made of this world. Many people ask me, how could it be going so slow for being so big. How in the h3ll would I know? I'm just a mere human. lol

I think the UFO story needs to go in the you ain't right thread (but I believe it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM didn't kill the electric car. California set it back and screwed GM and Honda.

California had a law that all car manufacturers who wanted to sell cars in CA must have a certain percentage of sales in zero emission vehicles. I forget the exact percentage or the date it would go into effect but it was in the 1990's. if they didn't meet that mandate they couldn't sell cars in CA. GM and Honda were the only 2 that had a vehicle in place to meet the mandate. then a few months before this was to go into effect CA pulled the plug so to speak. this infuriated GM and Honda. they both pulled their electric vehicles off the market. GM and Honda spent billions of dollars to come in under the time limit. the electric car disappeared for about a decade.

highdesertranger