Please help find a suitable van to build for boondocking.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the seller clearly representing no rust on an RV that has obvious rust is a huge red flag.

If there is observable rust, no telling what there is going on that you can’t see.

The dealer may think they have an advantage, you having made a non refundable deposit and traveled all that way, but don’t let yourself be desperate.

You’re not desperate, and don’t take something you’re going to have to put a lot of money into.

Your decision, but this may be a learning experience rather than your dream vehicle.

100% ready and willing to walk away. I also no longer have a home/job or anything thats keeping me tied down anywhere and a retirement that would let me rent an extended stay hotel and picket this guy. Are you thinking it might not even be worth 10k then? I did notice in the wheel well by the generator it had oil seeping through so maybe problems with gene......the more I talk about it, the more certain I am that I'm walking and won't even take the discount if he offered. I think I should at LEAST demand my 500 back or goto small claims for that + travel/lodge expenses based on his false representation.

I haven’t seen the pictures, but your description is pretty grim, to me.

You’re there and have a mechanic coming, right?, so take a good look and make a decision you can live with.

It could be just genny oil. Those are a little hard to fill and if filled too fast or too much, overflow the fill tube and spill into the case. The case has holes in the bottom. I did see the vent in the wheel well. That vent is under the fridge in mine. Also rear wheel seals can get oil up in the wheel well. These are all things the mechanic should be able to explain. Being on the far end of this telescope called the internet, it is hard to give real advice on condition.

Don't get bummed before you know what you are looking at. My 2000 has surface rust underneath. Surface rust is not a worry, big flaking rust on the other hand could be bad (depends).

Can that type of rust occur over 25 years without salt? It was presented as never having driven on salt

Mine has always been kept in Texas, never driven in salt (that I can tell) and is 20 years old. They use sand here (not salt) as ice is short lived. I've had it all over but not on ice. We did run into snow for a couple of days in colorado but were camped the whole time. Surface rust is not a problem and common. Rust showing at the bottoms of doors or fenders through the paint is bad or a heavily rusted (through) frame (really bad). The bottoms of all vehicles basically get sand blasted with the grit on the road especially in the desert.

Others have more expertise but I wanted to suggest, if no one else has, to buy a van with side barn doors instead of the sliding door. The barn door style is much more useful in a van build. The sliding doors offer much less space to use, both inside and outside.

can't see the pictures. it wants me to sign in, No thanks I learned my lesson about that years ago. highdesertranger

Yea, sorry about that, I didn't see any other way other than to try to create so many posts tha :) that it just wasn't possible without a huge amount of posts that would have taken hours

morkani said:
Can that type of rust occur over 25 years without salt? It was presented as never having driven on salt

Given that the dealer representation was that there was no rust, and there is obvious rust, I wouldn’t rely on anything else they have said as truth.

"I didn't see any other way other than to try to create so many posts"

you can put 10 pictures in a post. How many did you want to post?

highdesertranger

Morkani,

I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering what happened with the RV you went to look at.

Did you buy it or are you back to looking?

Don’t be embarrassed if it didn’t work out, cuz we’ve all had false starts of one sort or another.