Need van choice input, please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ready to roll into nomad life, but have no wheels (covid, and evolving rig preference). I thought I'd find a rig over the summer, but no luck.  Worked out in my favor though, because I think I would have been unhappy with vehicles I was at first considering: 4x4 [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]truck with trailer or truck camper, class b, ProMaster/Transit conversions.  [/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Not for me. Have come to the conclusion that building out my own van will best meet my goals: off road ability, ease of mechanical repair, ability to park in most parking places, ability to boon dock on BLM land. Would so appreciate your input on the decisions I now face: 1) Chevy/GMC Savanna or Express 3500 Extended, or a Ford e350 extended?  2) Would prefer an extended version for the space. Issues on high centering or tail end dragging?  3) Have read that I should get at least a V8 engine.  Any other recommendation on engines? 4) Want to purchase newish. Any input into 2018 or newer (in terms of known problems, etc.)?  5) Want to add a hightop.  Any recommendations for companies near northern az?  6) Any input on a 4 wheel drive upgrade? 7) Any features/options that you would advise against?  Much gratitude for you help!!  Kathy[/font]

You do realize that a newish van with a hightop and 4WD added are going be spendy, before you even begin the interior conversion.

It sounds like you might be looking into the Sportsmobile category of vehicles.

Better break open 'both' piggybanks!

"1) Chevy/GMC Savanna or Express 3500 Extended, or a Ford e350 extended?"
both good choices, however I would stay away from Fords between 1998-2008 because of the spark plug issues. also with extended vans GM also extends the wheelbase, Ford does not. these short wheelbase long vans have handling issues in certain conditions.

"2) Would prefer an extended version for the space. Issues on high centering or tail end dragging? "
the GM would be more susceptible to high center and the Ford to tail end dragging.

" 3) Have read that I should get at least a V8 engine. Any other recommendation on engines?"
yes to V-8's. stay away from the Fords I mentioned and any Ford diesel after the 7.3.

"4) Want to purchase newish. Any input into 2018 or newer (in terms of known problems, etc.)?"
no comment

" 5) Want to add a hightop. Any recommendations for companies near northern az?"
Fiberine in Southern California

"6) Any input on a 4 wheel drive upgrade?"
don't do it.. I always recommend against 4wheel drive conversions. if you want a 4x4 buy a factory built one.

"7) Any features/options that you would advise against?"
there are tons of them what are you thinking about?

highdesertranger

If you really want a 4x4 then you are back to a pickup or Suburban. Chevy 3500 which I believe most are big blocks and they have proven reliable with a locker or posi-traction rear end and a high top, at least enough to allow you to stand. If you are short enough a cross wide bed generally gives you more open space. If you are going to build a regular 4x4 truck chassis with a box might be considered. There are some manufactured ones out there but expensive. Some members have them maybe they will chime in.

tx2sturgis said:
You do realize that a newish van with a hightop and 4WD added are going be spendy, before you even begin the interior conversion.

It sounds like you might be looking into the Sportsmobile category of vehicles.

Better break open 'both' piggybanks!
Right?!  Not looking to break the bank, just want to get a reliable rig that fits my needs.   :shy:

bullfrog said:
If you really want a 4x4 then you are back to a pickup or Suburban. Chevy 3500 which I believe most are big blocks and they have proven reliable with a locker or posi-traction rear end and a high top, at least enough to allow you to stand. If you are short enough a cross wide bed generally gives you more open space. If you are going to build a regular 4x4 truck chassis with a box might be considered. There are some manufactured ones out there but expensive. Some members have them maybe they will chime in.
No 4x4 on a van seems to be the consensus. I could always add it later, I guess. Would rather stay with a van for the interior living space and ability to stand. 5'9" So, probably not a cross wide bed.  Thinking about a Murphy bed.  I appreciate your input! :rolleyes:

highdesertranger said:
"1) Chevy/GMC Savanna or Express 3500 Extended, or a Ford e350 extended?"
both good choices,  however I would stay away from Fords between 1998-2008 because of the spark plug issues.  also with extended vans GM also extends the wheelbase,  Ford does not.  these short wheelbase long vans have handling issues in certain conditions.

"2) Would prefer an extended version for the space. Issues on high centering or tail end dragging? "
the GM would be more susceptible to high center and the Ford to tail end dragging.

" 3) Have read that I should get at least a V8 engine.  Any other recommendation on engines?"
yes to V-8's. stay away from the Fords I mentioned and any Ford diesel after the 7.3.

"4) Want to purchase newish. Any input into 2018 or newer (in terms of known problems, etc.)?"
no comment

" 5) Want to add a hightop.  Any recommendations for companies near northern az?"
Fiberine in Southern California

"6) Any input on a 4 wheel drive upgrade?"
don't do it..  I always recommend against 4wheel drive conversions.  if you want a 4x4 buy a factory built one.

"7) Any features/options that you would advise against?"
there are tons of them what are you thinking about?

highdesertranger
Wow, thanks for the detailed/thoughtful response.  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"7) Any features/options that you would advise against?"[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]there are tons of them what are you thinking about?  Honestly, I"m not even sure.  I'm coming at this with limited knowledge and while I continue to research, it all feels overwhelming at times!  There's so much to learn.  Thank goodness for this forum to help me wade though it.  Again, thank you. :thumbsup:[/font]

I got to stop reading this thread it’s too expensive for me. I can dream about such a rig but that’s the only thing I can afford is the dream. God bless you to have the money to do it go for it

Do you know for sure that you will need 4x4, or is it an expensive assumption, that is a lot more weight/moving pieces/cost to get you into those tight/steep trails ?

With the right tires, a locking differential, and a higher ground clearance you can get through quite a bit !

No, I don't know that I need 4X4.  It seems after reading some of the posts that I should be able to get to most locations without it.  Appreciate your post!