New idea for using a motorcycle/trailer.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalartist

Reaction score
Hi Nomads,  

So I just recently joined and I mentioned that I was going to build a traveler pulled by my e-bike.  I’m thinking instead of using a bike I’d use a motorcycle instead.  As I have been doing research about ways of getting around with my bike I’ve discovered there are areas of the country I would be cut off from simply for the fact of unsafe highways for a bicycle.  Having said that riding a motorcycle you definitely need to keep your wits about you.  Anyways, motorcycles are incredible cheap to maintain as well as the cost and saving money is always a good thing when you can.  So, using a motorcycle trailer would definitely increase what I can carry. As a metal artist I definitely need all my tools.  I would still keep my bicycle of course.  I absolutely love my bike!  Anyways, what do you think of this idea?  I would very much like your thoughts as well as any of your ideas on building this setup.  Also, if you could recommend some motorcycles that would work well with a set up like this would be welcomed?  Also, riding a motorcycle would be a new experience for me.  I do plan on take classes though.  

Thank you Nomads!  ❤️

I know of no one who is doing it on a motorcycle full time. That said, I have a friend who has a small popup camper he pulls behind his Goldwing motorcycle and has camped all over the country. I know he goes to Sturgis South Dakota every year for bike week there. In the summer he practically lives on or in it. But he is a sticks and bricks guy so it is only in the summer. I know if you are going to pull his popup you would need a fairly large bike!!!!

I've seen/heard of folk doing lengthy trips on motorcycles, but I'm sure they were happy "campers" to return home.
Sounds like you'll be toting quite a bit with you and would need more than just a small throw some crap in trailer.
To haul that you're going to need a bigger bike, to haul any trailer you probably want at least 1000cc's.
You can start getting a general list of things you'd like to bring, get an approximate weight and size and see if it'll fit in a trailer, then find a suitable sized motorcycle to pull it.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but if you have neither motorcycle nor motorcycle trailer, you may want to consider the cage option. You could always get a small trailer for your tools, or even a hitch rack.

Metalartist said:
So, using a motorcycle trailer would definitely increase what I can carry. As a metal artist I definitely need all my tools.  I would still keep my bicycle of course.  I absolutely love my bike!  Anyways, what do you think of this idea?  I would very much like your thoughts as well as any of your ideas on building this setup.  Also, if you could recommend some motorcycles that would work well with a set up like this would be welcomed?  Also, riding a motorcycle would be a new experience for me.  I do plan on take classes though.  

Here's a couple of pics of small bikes pulling trailers:TW200 with trailer.jpgTW200 with trailer b.jpg2aa.jpg2ab.jpg

These would be for offroad and back roads only as the top speeds are pretty low (and lower still pulling a trailer).

The blue one is a Yamaha TW200 and the yellow a Honda CT90 Trail.

If you want to do interstates (or even 60-65MPH state highways) you would need a larger bike as Todo mentions.

If you 've never been on a MC before, you would probably want to start out on a smaller one though.

How much would you and all your tools + camping gear weigh? Add the weight of a trailer and a bike.

Attachments

• TW200 with trailer.jpg
    TW200 with trailer.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 52
  • TW200 with trailer b.jpg
    TW200 with trailer b.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 2aa.jpg
    2aa.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2ab.jpg
    2ab.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 44
Only some of the smaller motorcycles are 'incredibly cheap to maintain'...larger motorcycles can be way more expensive to maintain then your typical econobox car. And you do want a large motorcycle to haul a good size trailer, your tools, camping supplies, a bicycle, etc.

I hauled trailers behind motorcycles for decades...I even built a single-wheel trailer.  

For safety sake, the trailer and it's contents should not weigh more than about 50% of the weight of the bike. If you have a trike, you can ramp that number up to about 75%.

With a large touring or cruiser motorcycle this effectively limits the trailer and its cargo to about 400-500 pounds, MAX. ( a bit more with a trike) 

200-300 pounds is easily doable by most bikes above about 750cc, but this depends on rider skill, and other factors such as air or liquid cooling, overall condition of the bike (brakes, suspension, etc) types of terrain (mountains etc) ambient temps, prevailing winds, distances between gas stations, etc etc etc.

Most touring or cruiser motorcycles have around 150-300 mile range, and pulling a large trailer can cut that range in half...meaning stopping for gas every 100 miles or less.

One thing I would strongly caution against is a brand new rider pulling a trailer. Until you have several thousand miles riding experience, you should NOT be trying to pull a trailer with a motorcycle.

Thank you all for the tips! I definitely joined the right group. So my jewelry tools are small hand tools, a little over a dozen. My hand gravers and hammers. My micro torch (propane/oxygen). I’ll weigh it all but roughly around 50lbs. Good idea about getting a small bike to learn on and building the trailer before getting the right bike. I’m guessing I would be hauling 300lbs at the most, but we shall see. I’m always more hungry before I fill my plate and regret it afterwards. ;)

Thanks a bunch!

i think a motorbike and trailer or bicycle and trailer would be awesome. Bicycle probably requires far more planning than what a motorbike..but certainly doable and enjoyable.

A trike front or back would probably give you more safety for towing a little trailer.... 

I saw several trike and trailer vids on utube.

this lady seems to be enjoying her little trailer just fine.

I encountered a woman living full time on a Harley pulling a teardrop trailer. I thought Bob had a video featuring her, but I couldn't find it.

Metalartist said:
Thank you all for the tips!  I definitely joined the right group.  So my jewelry tools are small hand tools, a little over a dozen.  My hand gravers and hammers. My micro torch (propane/oxygen).  I’ll weigh it all but roughly around 50lbs. Good idea about  getting a small bike to learn on and building the trailer before getting the right bike.  I’m guessing I would be hauling 300lbs at the most, but we shall see.  I’m always more hungry before I fill my plate and regret it afterwards.  ;)

Thanks a bunch!

If you end up considering a big bike or trike to haul a trailer, you are going up-up-up with the money.
You can get a small car for cheaper, and you will have more room, and be more protected.
I don't bash motorcycles. I love them and had them for most of my life.
But if it is a lifestyle instead of a holiday trip, you have to be practical.

X2

Minimalism has its allure and if you're young and adventurous maybe you should go for it.

After a time though, you will probably switch over to a more practical ride.

Motorcycles can be very dangerous for a newby and most serious accidents happen within the first 6 months of riding experience. As TX2 points out,towing a trailer would increase your risk quite a bit.

A small pickup with a camper shell or a minivan would be a better choice for a long(er)-term arrangement.

Also easier to haul a bike.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle, dirtbike, or minibike ?

I have had bikes for years, and wouldn't want to pull a trailer with any of them, it changes the dynamics of how the motorcycle steers, and behaves. I currently have a Kawasaki KLR 250 enduro dual sport bike that is fun to ride, but pulling a trailer would quickly wear out components like the clutch, and brakes.

ckelly78z said:
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle, dirtbike, or minibike ?
....umm .. the OP actually talks about that in his post.

any mountain can be climbed...metalartist.. if you see one you want to summit  go for it. 
nothing wagered nothing gained... just a cursory search reveals several companies that make trailers for motorbikes...it can't be ALL death and despair for the thousands of people pulling a trailer... 
taking a class as you recognize and going slow and easy is the best advice... I'm sure there must be a few forums for this..

Agree with the person who says a small car would be cheaper but people have been living off motorcycles since they were invented. I've done it myself on big and small bikes for months at a time. I've also had trailers and sidecars. I'd recommend checking out advrider.com for info.

IMG_0103.jpg

I had a Motomate. It was designed to be towed by a motorcycle. It was 325 pounds unloaded. I miss it.  Getting 35 mpg travelling is somewhat nifty. My Grand Caravan is cavernous compared to the Aveo and Motomate.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
This couple have some helpful videos. Looks like they have it figured out.

their expenses are ridiculous. nothing inexpensive about them.

860 a month for self prepared food for 2people?!?!

Silly people.
At the beginning of the 2nd video, all the things she lists as being nomad are no different than living at home.
I would venture to say their grocery bills may not be much different at home with the exception of buying in bulk.

As for the first video, I stopped watching after tongue weight, and stopped the watching the 2nd video when she got to food expenses.
I don't like their format.
I came across this searching for pulling MC trailers. Being an avid MC fan but no experience with trailering I was curious.
https://bushtec.com/blogs/posts/simple-guide-pulling-trailer-motorcycle

Thank you Nomads! You have given me a lot to think on. I Like the tear drop trailer idea and trike, but there is the cost adding up to go this route. I should mention that I really need to reduce my costs and hence this is why I wanted to do the motorcycle because the insurance and gas would be a lot less than a car... Also I plan on staying put in various places during the year. As an artist right now I don’t have a lot of money right now. I’m determined to do whatever I can though and make this work. If I have to walk with a backpack and my tools I will do it. I’m done with the rat race and paying outrageous amounts of money for rent. Anyways, I will ponder more and work on a solution. I know I have something to offer with my art so I will remain focused on that to keep me going.

Again, motorcycles are not all about saving money. 

Larger road-going motorcycles and especially when pulling trailers, will NOT save you money compared with an economical small car or minivan. 

You will have more fun and adventure and experiences than traveling in a car could ever provide, but you will NOT save money, unless someone sells you a ready to ride, trouble free touring bike and decent trailer for a really cheap price...but then you still wont save money on maintenance. 

Everything costs more: Maintenance, insurance, tires, oil, repairs, food and supplies on the road, riding gear, camping supplies, and likely more frequent use of motels. 

A smaller or mid-sized bike (250-750cc) NOT pulling a trailer, can be very economical, but as the number of cc's go up, so do the costs.

Do it for the adventure, but not for the pocketbook.