VOLUME

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
Something to consider when building your mobile living space. That is the length, width and height of anything you are considering living in. Square footage is relative, we may both have a 10 x 6 x 6 space normally considered 60 sq. ft. It is actually 360 cubic feet. The more you put in that space the less living space you have although the dimensions don't change. I may have much more living space than you because I choose to keep to a minimum what I build in or carry onboard.

I think roof racks, and bumper mount boxes are the answer here. Keep the interior space for living, use the outdoor storage ares for supplies. That passenger seat, and footwell are also large storage areas that can be utilized. Overhead mounted, or hanging storage also frees up floor space, as well as a foldable bed like a cot.

Good points. Cutting down on the " stuff " inside gives you more volume to live in.

I'm in a Prius, 9 years total, last 2 years full time. No roof rack, bumper-mount boxes, or other outside storage. Yet, I comfortably spend the day inside. I think the biggest reason is because all of my stuff is kept below window height, except I do have stuff to the ceiling directly behind the back passenger seat (where I sit inside while camping). My view is almost 360 degrees. So, although living-space volume is important; so is what the vehicle dweller can view beyond their enclosed living-space.

True Suanne, I guess the point I was making is to visualize your space and how it will work for you rather than fill the available space with things. Sounds as if you have done that well.

Suanne said:
I'm in a Prius, 9 years total, last 2 years full time.  No roof rack, bumper-mount boxes, or other outside storage.  Yet, I comfortably spend the day inside.  

I commend you on your ability to do that, I need my legroom, and couldn't be a car dweller for more than 1 night. I could spend time in a pickup truck cap, but still need to be outside a majority of the time.

owl said:
Something to consider when building your mobile living space. That is the length, width and height of anything you are considering living in. Square footage is relative, we may both have a 10 x 6 x 6 space normally considered 60 sq. ft. It is actually 360 cubic feet. The more you put in that space the less living space you have although the dimensions don't change. I may have much more living space than you because I choose to keep to a minimum what I build in or carry onboard.
This is the issue with most modern factory made vans/trailers/campers,  most manufacturers try to cram as much as possible inside, as the potential buyer sees this as appealing when comparing to other units of similar size. I know when building my Kurbmaster I wanted to be able to pace back and forth so I can walk 10 feet back and forth or 12 if I go into the cab area, which is important to me. I can stand and make music or dance a bit. I can look outside, while pacing, standing or sitting. My space is 6x6 x10 plus cab area, where I have my toilet.

I perfectly understand you wanting to get into the cab area where your toilet is located! I have to ask, is that what you sit on while driving?  ;)

owl said:
I perfectly understand you wanting to get into the cab area where your toilet is located! I have to ask, is that what you sit on while driving?  ;)

Not exactly but the drivers seat tips forward onto the steering wheel, the box is under, it opens up and I then can sit on it, I have blinds that come down on all the front windows for privacy. So to answer you question yes I do sit on it, in a sorta......oh the toilet roll is hooked under the seat so when it tips forward is in a perfect location.

KM, thank you for a good laugh. You are a good sport. Looking forward to your utube vid showing detail.