Van-tramp's favorite camping spots of Baja

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
Favorite camping spots of Baja

Part two of my favorite camping spots of 2016 continues with our stay in Baja, Mexico. I wasn’t sure what to expect of Mexico (safety and all) but my expectations of Baja camping was clear; sandy beaches and maybe even learning how to surf while eating a lot of tacos was the image in my head. Baja gave me that and more. It wasn’t easy to narrow the field down to just a few spots, but here goes…

There is some boondocking in Baja, but not as much as the South West of the states. However, the cost of a space at a campground or RV Park in Baja is much… um… “mucho” lower than north of the border. 100 pesos, at the time, equated to just over five US dollars, and 100-200 pesos was the normal nightly cost in a pay-for campground. We were not afraid to pay to camp in Baja for that very reason. Enjoy!

http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/favorite-camping-spots-of-baja/

Teaser images below
IMG_7962-1024x575.jpg

IMG_8214-1024x576.jpg

IMG_8240-1024x575.jpg

IMG_8254-1024x576.jpg

IMG_8545-1024x576.jpg

Nice!!

Hey Tramp, would you think it's safe enough for a couple of older gals to tent camp Baja?? We'd like to head down for a few days on our next SW trip.

I've got loads of friends who motorcycle camp up and down Baja, they say they think it's safer too, but most haven't been for a couple of years, so thanks for the current info.

Hi there, I recently arrived from Colorado and in San Diego coast. My goal is to drive to Baja and as far as Sea of Cortez to find a place to camp for long term. Have you or anyone else reading this gone there? Also, Van Tramp's, could it be possible you name or send any links/directions to the camps you went to at my email? [email protected] please? I recently purchased this 4x4 with a camper and trying to get use to the camper. Thanks and thanks for the pics. Mario.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 3.45.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 3.45.09 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
I loved my time in Baja three years ago. The past two winters I was going to go back but things didn't work out. This winter for certain.

You can camp long term just about any town/city you want in Baja. Just go to the local campground and negotiate a rate.

San Felipe is a great little town just 2 hours south of the Mexicali border crossing. Numerous small RV-park/campgrounds right on the beach and an easy walk into the town. The campgrounds have power, water, and bathroom/showers. It's a great starter-location for Baja with a small investment in travel time.

If you want to see true Baja, you have to go further South. Bahia de Los Angeles (a few hours south of San Felipe) and the campgrounds around that area are great. Very remote though. Not many options in food, etc.

My favorite is Mulege, about 600 miles south of the border crossing. It is a few days drive, but the tropical little town is true mexico with some gringos mixed in. Good options of food, lots of campgrounds on the river (some free-ish camping on Sea as well). Mulege is only another 15 minutes drive to Bahia Conception, the pinnacle of beach camping in Baja.

I second the advice that Baja may be too hot this time of the year. November - March is the normal season, but if you don't mind some heat it will be a beautiful place.

Where is the best place to cross the border if going to Baja? Where should one purchase insurance ?

I've passed through to Baja via the Tecate and Mexicali border crossings. Both were easy and fast.

You can get insurance in the town's just before crossing or just Google and be ready ahead of time. For reference, we bought a 6 month policy for $140 ish.