Review of four stove types for vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
Recently I started thinking of the different stoves I have had in the vans over the seven-plus years I’ve been at this and how each fit the job. Below are four stove types that I will give my take on.
Backpacking Stoves

First, the smallest; [size=large]backpacking stoveshttp://amzn.to/2mhYadi. I had one of these for use in the mini camper van in 2012. The van was intended for weekend trips up and into the Rocky Mountains without bringing all the luxuries and space of Big Blue. The space in the mini van was so much less than Big Blue, everything had to be down sized as well. Since backpacking stoves pack into such a small space, it was the perfect type of stove for weekend trips where I needed nothing more then to re-hydrate some backpacking food. The downside to this small of a stove is how easy it would be to tip over, and we can all imagine how bad that would be inside a vehicle. Having a built-in and level counter space is a must to ensure stable footing for any stove. One down side is that the fuel is pretty darn expensive (per ounce) and not always easily found; sporting good stores are your best bet. One of these little guys can be had for as little as $9. Be warned, the fuel is considered “three season” fuel and may not work so great in extreme cold and/or high elevations.[/size]

[size=large][size=large] Butane singe burner stoves
http://amzn.to/2mhGFdk[/size][/size]

The next level (at least in size, and size does matter) is a [size=large]butane single burner[/size]. Though I never used one in my van, I can see where having something larger than a backpacking stove would be better. Not only for the added heat, and larger space, but also for the stability in the platform. These stoves usually come with a case for easy packing and storing while not in use, and let’s face it, cooking is only done for a few minutes each day so having the ability to store the stove away is super helpful. Weighing in at only a smidgen more than nothing, it is easy to take out to the picnic table to cook that bacon and avoid the grease splattering all over the interior of the van. Fuel can be found at most Walmart and sporting good stores, and you can even occasionally find them in grocery stores. Usually starting around the $20 range, they are a good budget stove for cooking simple meals.

[size=large][size=large] Propane double burner camp stoves
http://amzn.to/2l3cJS4[/size][/size]

The [size=large]propane double burner[/size] stove was the true work horse of my time in a van. Thankfully the interior space of my van is huge, with a 70  X 24 inch counter top, which allowed me to mount my two burner stove to the counter and just keep it there. There really was no other place to put it thanks to it’s size anyway.

It wasn’t often that I used both burners at the same time, but when I did I sure was happy I had two burners. These stoves usually come with another step up in heating power (BTU rating) and with the extra BTU’s comes extra propane use. Expect to burn through a 1 pound canister of propane every week or two, depending on how complex your cooking is. Many of these types of stoves can be had starting at $40, which is fair price considering you are getting double the stove over the butane single burner. Heck, some can be [size=large]folded downhttp://amzn.to/2xcXNKR to only slightly larger then the single burner type, so don’t start drilling holes just yet. The fuel canisters (those green 1# bottles of propane) can be found almost anywhere nowadays. Even if you can’t find one, a hardware store will have a propane bottle normally used for a blow-torch that works exactly the same for the stove. Or, if you wanted to save every penny possible and already have a larger 5# or 20# propane bottle,  a bulk adapter hose will allow the stove to plug directly into that larger tank. Bulk propane is many-many-times less expensive per gallon then the 1# bottles.[/size]

[size=large][size=large] Propane stove / oven combo
http://amzn.to/2l3A5GS[/size][/size]

Lastly, and what I currently use in my van, is the [size=large]stove & oven combo[/size]. I recall drooling over the idea of one of these when I first saw one. Not only to cook a stove top meal but to be able to bake in the van too? How cool is that? Let me tell you, it is damn cool. However, I did have to build a custom platform for it to be mounted into as the size demands just that. The stove top includes two burners, and once again the BTU power kicked up a notch, using even more propane (going through 1# bottle every four to seven days). In fact, the burners produce so much heat it is extremely difficult to simmer a dish. They all simply boil over without some planning ahead and stacking pans to mellow the heat.

As for the size, it is smaller than a normal RV oven, but still fits (barely) a 16 X 9 cookie sheet. It can be picked up and moved outside the van easy enough (which I do often) for a middle-aged guy like myself, but may be too heavy for some. Beyond the extra propane use, and the size, the other down side is that the oven does not automatically control the temperature. Instead, you must go back every few minutes to monitor the temperature and adjust the heat setting manually. This becomes moot after a few uses once you get use to where the knob needs to be to [roughly] hold 350, 400, or 450 degrees. Costing in the $200 range (give or take a twenty) they are pricey, but I can guarantee that all your fellow van-dwellers will envy you for the baking possibilities.

So, there you go. If you were in the market for a stove for your van, there are my opinions. Only you would know what is best for your needs, but at least you know the pros and cons of each.

I would add one more (and this may be only one of this type), the Snowpeak Baja Burner https://snowpeak.com/products/gigapower-baja-burner?variant=671133477

I put this on an aluminum L stock framed slideout in my cabinet.  Held down by magnets, it can be removed and feet extended if I want to cook outside on a picnic table.  I got a propane converter from G-Works (ebay), so I can run two types of fuel.  Picture shows isobutane canister attached, but I usually do not have fuel attached when stored.

My cabinet, early in the build 
IMG_7510.JPG

Slideout made from Al L stock 
IMG_7513.JPG

Magnets to hold the stove down, from K&J Magnets 
IMG_7514.JPG

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7510.JPG
    IMG_7510.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7513.JPG
    IMG_7513.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7514.JPG
    IMG_7514.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 24
I currently have the single burner Butane stove you show above, and can attest to it's heating power for one pot meals. It can also boil two cups of water in just under two minutes. Yeah, I timed it.
I used to have a two burner Coleman similar to the one you show, but it burned white gas. Rarely used both burners together, but like you said, it's nice to have when you need it. Would not recommend the white gas version for a van due to possible flare ups. "Danger Will Robinson."
Now you got me on the propane oven with range top, never had one of those, but have seriously considered getting one. You're right, I'm envious of that. 
Thanks for the mini review. :cool:

I'll add another for cheap ba$tard do-it-yourselfer's like me that want a built in propane stove.  I have harvested a couple of side burners (for free even) from junk propane grills.  The ones I have look like they have never been used.  They are made to connect to standard propane hose fittings.  And they have a cover so you don't loose counter space when not in use.  They are small so you are limited to an 8" diameter pan.

One thing I will say about backpacking stoves is that they don't balance big diameter pans well.  I can fry eggs with a #6 Griswold on my Pocket Rocket (first one pictured in Van Tramps writeup) but I have to hold onto it the whole time.

For cold weather nothing beats a liquid gas stove that you have to pressurize (either by pumping or pre-heating).

I have both a single burner butane, and a single propane. I'll take the butane first because it puts out a lot more heat than the propane. It boils water more than twice as fast.

Sailing VANessa said:
I have both a single burner butane, and a single propane.  I'll take the butane first because it puts out a lot more heat than the propane.  It boils water more than twice as fast.

That is probably a function of the different stoves.  Propane has has a little more heat production than butane per pound and butane has a little more per cubic foot:

Propane = 21,600 BTU/lb, 91,000 BTU/gal.
    Butane   = 21,300 BTU/lb, 102,600 BTU/gal.

Not enough difference for butane to be twice as fast.  My Pocket Rocket can boil a liter of 33ºF water in 3.5 minutes.

@van tramp:

for too hot burners...use a 'simmer plate' or 'heat diffuser'. :cool:

400802225_tp.jpg

I like my alcohol stove for safety reasons. It uses a cotton wick and absorbs all the liquid so there's nothing to spill. The entire stove is the size and shape of a hockey puck so it won't tip over (and I use a pot-stand to prevent the pot from being unsteady).

Alcohol has less heat energy than other fuels, but it'll still boil a pint of water in about 8 minutes. Fast enough for me.

> I'll take the butane first because it puts out a lot more heat than the propane. It boils water more than twice as fast.

That has nothing to do with the fuel and everything to do with the stove, specifically the jet and pressure regulator design.

Never seen a turkey fryer or big chili cooker running off butane.

60,000btu enough?

Spaceman Spiff said:
Any recommended pot-stands?

I made my own from a sheet of wire-mesh hardware cloth. It's low and flat, and holds either a saucepan or a small frying pan nice and steady.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Any recommended pot-stands?

I made my own from a sheet of wire-mesh hardware cloth. It's low and flat, and holds either a saucepan or a small frying pan nice and steady.

19781679233_dedb5f6ff3.jpg

I have the dual fuel Butane / Propane single burner stove. Love it. Looks just like a Butane stove but comes with a hose to adapt it to a canister. About twice the cost, but love the flexibility.

Great thread... especially your take on the camp stove/oven. I thought about that but in the end, that space was allocated to more water storage :) Dang limitations of 72 sq feet.

-T

I believe any butane stove can use propane and v/v, at least until you get to the huge units like that Camp Chef above.

Those single burner butane units are nicely self-contained with a $1 canister locked inside, very portable to put out on a table or even take on a picnic.

Best I found is ​Iwatani's 35-FW, built tough for hotel buffet catering usage, ​15,000 BTU.

That Korean source cited above has an excellent range of adapters and hoses to go in either direction, so if leaving the cooker in place inside, can hook up to even cheaper BBQ bottle propane.

I'm always cooking for at least 5-8 people, use a wok a lot, 3-gallon soups & stews etc, so the backpacker style just doesn't cut it.

the thing about using either fuel is you need the adaptors which are like custom made for each dual fuel stove. they are not readily available. highdesertranger

The adapters I'm talking about are at the level of standard tank/hose fittings.

So for propane, either 1"-20 as with backpacking 1#ers, or Type 1 QCC ACME/FPOL as in standard BBQ with OPD.

On the butane side,

A "canister" or bayonet style, aka $1 Asian store for Iwatani, thin and tall CP / P220/ DOT2P / CP250 cans (~ 5/32", 4mm)

or

B ​wide and squat 7/16 (11mm) UNEF threaded "screw style" bottles, aka "EN417" (/ EN521?)

None of these are unique to one vendor, but each mfg tends to use one style and stick with it.

Note with the CP250 bottles, they are "keyed" to lie in one position, should not be free to roll around, best adapter type is also a tripod style that holds it properly.

yeah but the propane ones are very common, I have never seen the ones for butane. highdesertranger

Yes, that's why pointing out that Korean supplier for adapters

a high-output stove but very controllable for simmering

sturdy for huge pots or even a 24" wok

self-contained and super portable with the $1 Asian grocery canister inside

but can also run off your 20# BBQ propane, get the best of both worlds.

Latest posts