Water Pump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebarefootbadger

Reaction score
Do you think it's possible to use a setup that pumps water into sink faucet and put it in 5 gallon water bottle? Something like this, only hooked to the sink instead of just an icemaker. I only need hot water for "showers" (I'd just use a sink faucet with sprayer), and I was wondering if this is a possible solution, just preheating the water on the stove first rather than having a whole hot water setup. 1708525558261.png

I guess I'm questioning whether I can stop and start the water flow while the pump is running, or if that's only possible in a pressurized system. I'm not sure of the flow rate for this, but as long as it's not just a drip, I'd be fine.

Back story I'm just setting up a van from scratch and trying to keep it reasonably simple but not quite primitive. Haven't done anything about the water yet so I'm open to all ideas.

Actually the kitchen would look sort of like this except the faucet on the sink would be a sprayer. 1708526131031.png

Last edited:
I've used small 12 volt water pumps for saunas, showers & sinks. I just wired a switch to the & the all worked great & never had one fail. Here's some on Amazon. Just search for 12 volt submersible water pump

12V DC Water Pump, Aideepen 5M High Head 12v pump submersible JT-500 water pump 158GPH Water Pump for Aquariums, Fish Tank, Pond, Fountains
4.2 out of 5 stars$11.99

HiLetgo 5M High Head DC Water Pump Submersible Motor For Pond, Aquarium, Fish Tank Fountain 10L/Min 600L/H DC12V 1.2A​

Visit the HiLetgo Store
4.3 4.3 out of 5 stars 312 ratings $12.99

Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime

Last edited:
I've seen installations where there was just an intermittent push button (switch) set up to run the pump on demand and the faucet was adjusted to the desired rate of flow. Then the faucet could be readjusted for more or less flow.

As for water jugs, I have 3 five gallon plastic Jerry Jugs that I use in my rig. The fact that they are rectangular in shape helps to conserve space and they are also easier to carry than plastic carboys.

Some use an agricultural pump sprayer modified with a sink sprinkler for a shower system. Often painted flat back to sit in the sun and heat the water inside.

shopping

30659-a129059232267d215ed23fb606df555e.data

With an improvised shower curtain, a plastic bin like this could serve as an in the Van shower. You'll still need to find an appropriate place to drain the water that accumulates in the bin however. The sink sprinkler hose is spliced to the sprayer hose for a simple shower option. The sprayer can be painted black (as mentioned above) to sit in the sun and warm water or it can be heated on the stove in a suitable vessel.

You can put a small momentary push button switch under or in place of the thumb lever of the sprayer hose. Very simple but works great.

The easiest setup is to keep the shower system separate from the sink system. Unless you need hot water at the sink, the simplest system is to use a battery powered water bottle dispenser pump connected to a plastic hose dropped into a Aquatainer. The setup cost < $50 takes less than 10 minutes, and is very effective.
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ele...577923&sprefix=usb+water,aps,139&sr=8-46&th=1

The advantage to having a separate shower system is that its more convenient to source water (easier to carry, doesn't have to be potable) and you don't have to closely monitor usage, since its only used for showering. A standalone system can be used inside or outside the vehicle. A couple of slightly more sophisticated "water in a bucket" systems:
1. The Big Kahuna Shower, available with a 110V heating element, complete system starting at $300
2. RinseKit models (I think the Cube is cool) also starting at $300, heater extra.

https://bigkahunashowers.com/shop

https://rinsekit.com/collections/portable-showers