The cost of a month in Baja

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
The cost of a month in Baja
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/the-cost-of-a-month-in-baja/

It has been a while since I did a “cost of” post detailing the finances of living a minimalist and nomadic life. Since we crossed the border deep into the month of January, I held off until February as it is the first full month of Baja spending. Unfortunately, it is also the month we have been in the more touristy areas so some things have been at a higher cost. I will give the exact numbers first, then provide a set of numbers that are a bit more generalized.

OK, first things first. The Peso to dollar exchange rate was just over 18 for the month. It fluctuated, but not by enough to make a huge difference. Unlike previous “cost-of” posts, this month is based on two people, not just myself. That doubles the amount spent on food, which normally comes at a much less expensive rate here in Baja. Many of our meals in the first few weeks were $2-$3 dollars per person, including a drink. The further south we traveled, the more expensive even a single taco became, and the more upper-scale places you can find. Included in the dining out figure is a week in Todos Santos were we made three visits to some upper-scale places for a sum of $180 (still very cheap by USA standards, but very expensive by Baja standards). Even with those 3 expensive meals, the average cost of dining out was $19, including drinks, for the pair of us.

Yes, we spent a lot of money on booze. In our defense, we brought only a few bottles of alcohol across the border with us, and all of the booze purchased are still nearly full at the end of the month. It was money spent, but not necessarily consumed… yet. Plus, you can’t come to Mexico without buying a bottle or two of Mezcal and Tequila, right?

Another area where we spent but not consumed is the groceries. We had to do a shopping trip in the final days of the month ($47). The food was purchased, but not yet consumed. Still, groceries are very inexpensive in Baja.

Lastly, the Gasoline costs were very low considering the $2.72 per gallon cost in Mexico, (more than double than South-West USA at this same time). They reason they are so low? We really did not get to drive many miles as once we were parked for a work-week. Once parked that is where the van stayed for 4 full days, without consuming an ounce of gas. The $181 is roughly one half the length down Baja along with the daily life and sightseeing done on the weekends… a total of 760 miles. And, of course, we ended the month with a mostly full fuel tank.

[img=239x309]http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/jan2016a.jpg[/img]

So, now I am going to filter out a few items to reflect the more minimalist spender that I am. I removed from the equation; the bottles of booze, the three high-priced meals, the big-ticket gifts that Kerri bought for herself, the fuel left in my tank, and a camping stove purchase as our stove broke during the month.

[img=241x302]http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/jan2016b.jpg[/img]

Again, this is for two people eating out regularly (23 times during the month), driving and exploring what Baja has to offer on our weekends (3-days per week) while staying put the other four days each week. We boondocked a lot during the month, saving the average $10 per night for a RV park or campground for two thirds of the month. The pets still had to be fed, clean water had to be purchased, and laundry had to be done, but two people having a great time in Baja can easily live it up for right around $1000 USD per month. It can be done for less, or more, but the figures above are a good representation of frugal-but-still-having-tons-of-fun budget for a couple in a van.

If someone where to come to Baja in search of the lowest possible monthly costs, it is very possible to camp for free... long term... spending less than $200 a month of groceries and a few times eating out at your favorite taco stand. For those places I would look in an area between San Felipe (2 hours south of Mexicali) and North of Loreto (nearly two thirds the way down Baja).

In fact, San Felipe is a great place to hang out if you want to be able to minimize the mileage driven in Mexico. Food can be had for less than next to nothing, beach is fantastic, easy access to groceries, gas, entertainment, and the road leading too and from is smooth as silk. If you are so inclined, you can get a monthly rate at a local RV park for well under $200 a month (power, water, beach, showers, walk to town, etc). It would not be a bad place to hang out for an entire winter.

If you really want the full Baja experience, look at Bahia de Concepcion (between Mulege and Loreto) which has some of the finest beaches you can imagine. Local vendors will deliver food, water, and any other supplies you ask for straight to your door. A longer drive, but your smile would never go away.

I know safety will be a top concern on everyone's mind. It was for me too. Obviously, you can not bring a gun into Mexico. And the policia are so sparse you will be lucky to see one per week while here.

However...

1) Crime in Baja is relegated to petty-theft only. Just don't leave things out at night. But muggings, killings, etc just are not happening here (as is true for the majority of Mexico).

2) The people are beyond hospitable. Everyone smiles, greets, waves at you. I have not felt intimidated or threatened by anyone here, including the military and police.

3) Hang out in the established campgrounds or surfer places, and you have a lot of people watching your back.

Basically, concern for our safety quickly dropped away once we were out of the border cities (Mexicali).

There is something to be said about people who venture out past the border cities. I think those of us who have the courage to do so impart a sort of "this guy won't be taken without a fight" aire and the criminals go for easier and softer targets... in Border cities.

Same thing in Asia...

Personally I believe that even the corrupt police and warlords know that Americans in Baja is good for them.

For the Police, we are pretty much their families only source of income. We eat, drink, and buy trinkets... and that is about all there is for industry here. For the warlords, far too many of us come down here and still buy up local pot (and more?) so we can party on the beaches while surfing the winter away. There is no logistical need for drug lords to battle over this territory either... so they do not.

And we have talked with many people that go through mainland-Mexico and they too say that it is just as safe. The only real exceptions are those back-alleys in the large metro areas.... pretty much EXACTLY like in America's large metro areas you don't go strutting around in the ghetto and still expect to feel safe.

So, 1/3rd of your expenses were for dining out. Easy to see potential for cost cutting there, if desired. But also comparatively cheap dining is one of the appeals to Baja for many.

I never pay for camping, I just park where ever. Would you say that's possible in Baja?

So, if I don't drink, eat out or buy trinkets I probably wouldn't be welcome there? ;)

My issue with Baja and why I quit going was the proliferation of crystal meth. I had a bunch of Mexican friends, got deeper into their culture than most gringos, and I watched it turn good people into very bad people in a very short period of time.

I miss Baja greatly, but The door slammed my ass on the way back out in early 2008 and I've not bothered returning. I used to spend a cumulative 3 to 4 months a year down there on a total shoestring budget, and loved every moment of it, until my friends started asking me for aluminum foil, then needed to borrow something, which then mysteriously 'got stolen'.

I used to camp here for 3 to 9 weeks at a time:

IMG_1572copy_zpsba6624aa.jpg

http://forums.bajanomad.com/today.php

I've never had this idea, but for goodness sake! Stop posting this information! I don't want to hear how completely inexpensive it would be to live beachside (beach near?)!! And with excellent Mexican food?

:)

One day, one day, as soon as my kids hit College.

By the way, thanks for your blog, been enjoying it quite a while.

I never pay for camping, I just park where ever. Would you say that's possible in Baja?

Sure, although it is not as well documented as in the States. Still, there are numerous place to camp for free, and most of them are on the beach. iOverlander has many places on their maps. Cell signals are not as easy to come by on those spots so if you have to work online (like me) then that is a factor. You would have to commute into town every week or so for more food/water/etc.

It would be VERY easy for a single person to live in Baja on $500 USD a month.

With that said, getting *in* Baja has some extra costs:
$25 travel visa per person (good for up to 6 months)
Mexican auto insurance (mine was $150 for the 3 months I am here)
And possibly a vehicle permit (depending on where you are going) which is a $200 (or more) deposit